Article [13] ST1300 - Fuel Tank Hose Leak (Near Miss)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Near miss!!! Fuel Tank Hose Leak

Well, when you take into account all of the members here that are about to order a spare, I'll bet you are right. I am glad I ordered my spare two years ago.
LOL.. just ordered 2 spares, pre and post 2008 so I'll have one of each on the bike just in case me or someone I'm nearby has an issue... that of course also ensures I'll never have an issue.. LOL

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #

Maybe they relised it was a missed chances for more profit ?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Maybe they relised it was a missed chances for more profit ?
Ha!!!... so there are no issues with the bike, just revenue generating opportunities.. LOL I like that... you really do work for Honda don't you?

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing

Another caution in a situation like this....If you smell gas dont ever put the bike in your garage until you have fixed the leak....About 25 yrs ago I was restoring a barn find CB500 after rebuilding and syncing the carbs took it for a test ride....few blocks from the house I smelled gas.and noticed a slow drip from the line to the tank....rode it home and had just pulled it thru the garage doorway when it flamed up....clear to the ceiling...I jumped off the bike without injury and it flopped on its side....Good thing I lived in the city at the time and response time was fast...The house was seriously singed in the eves and garage ceiling but thankfully went no further....Neighbor thanked me for providing excitement and entertainment on what was otherwise a dull sunday night as 3 or 4 fire depts responded....Neighborhood kids loved it....Needless to say my barn find was a total loss....Lesson learned and I felt like the village idiot....Bill

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Can someone here provide the part number for this hose? Of course after you get your order in.

TIA

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Can someone here provide the part number for this hose? Of course after you get your order in.

TIA
17545-MCS-R10 - 2008 and Newer
17545-MCS-G00 - pre-2007

Desc: TUBE, FUEL JOINT

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

Thanks, interesting the pre-2008 hose can be purchased for just under $6 but the 2008 and newer hose is just under $16. I wonder if it's a thicker reinforced one....
That's odd. You would think that the new hose would be easier to make since it has the same diameter throughout. As a side note, they also recommend that you change the clamps at the same time. On 2008 and later models this requires two of these: 91405-MCS-G00, $3.20. On 2007 and earlier models you need one 91405-MCS-G00 but you also need one 90661-SL0-A01, which runs a whopping $12.60 (note: standard online fiche price, can be found lower at places like Ayers, etc.) Makes me wonder if they simply wanted to shift that revenue loss from the one clamp back into the hose...

Conspiracy theorists unite!!! ;)

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #

I wonder how many other bikes use the same hose now ? got to love it when parts finally interchange !

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Did you compare the two Joe?
Okay, here goes.

Now, after you look at all the pictures and you get the impression that the NEWer hose was somehow improved upon, go back to Jeff's pics in the 1st post here and you'll see his failure was in the area where both of these hoses are the same... so, that should say something. I couldn't tell if his 2007 hose has that grey outer layer on it, that's about the only difference in the actual material.

I don't have a 2007 and 2008 fuel tank here but I'm thinking the only reason the hoses were changed is because the actual outlet tubes from the tanks are a different diameter and that's it but I don't have an easy way to confirm that. Maybe someone has a 2007 or older tank laying around to measure that tube.

Part Numbers:
17545-MCS-R10 - 2008 and Newer
17545-MCS-G00 - pre-2007

They look to be different sizes but due to the outer layer on the hose on the left, it's an optical illusion, they are identical sizes.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Okay, here goes.

Now, after you look at all the pictures and you get the impression that the NEWer hose was somehow improved upon, go back to Jeff's pics in the 1st post here and you'll see his failure was in the area where both of these hoses are the same... so, that should say something. I couldn't tell if his 2007 hose has that grey outer layer on it, that's about the only difference in the actual material.

I don't have a 2007 and 2008 fuel tank here but I'm thinking the only reason the hoses were changed is because the actual outlet tubes from the tanks are a different diameter and that's it but I don't have an easy way to confirm that. Maybe someone has a 2007 or older tank laying around to measure that tube.

is it me.. or can anyone else NOT see the pics Joe posted?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

The last digit of the part number is the revision, so it's the same part. The changed digits reflect a change in supplier.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300, ST1100
Hello,

Similar happened to my 2002 ex Police ST1300 a month back, worked on installing new front part loom, had the tank up for the work with connecting hose under pressure, completed the repair then filled up and went out training a colleague low and high speed work for a number of hours then returned home garaged the bike and settled down with a cup of coffee with the bike piping hot. Suddenly detected strong odour of petrol into the house and ran into the garage to see a near full tank of petrol pouring from every orifice. I opened the garage and pushed the bike outside and quickly detached the tank to find the short rubber elbow pipe had split 50%

I asked local dealer how many hoses they sell and the answer was few but I believe if like my bike it is regularly serviced (104,000 miles) then the lifting of the tank will apply pressure to the hose and my 70/90 mph riding through busy traffic could have become hot, illuminating and potentialy fatal

Graeme

Top Bottom