Article [13] ST1300 - Fuel Tank Hose Leak (Near Miss)

Bike
2005 ST1300
Re: Near miss!!! Fuel Tank Hose Leak

Very lucky indeed! Although gas smell can be pretty brutal!

Because I have removed my tank on a number of occasions, I replaced my hose twice now. They are easy to do, other then getting the one clap off. Currently, I have two new hoses sitting in my parts bin. (forgot I had already ordered one. ) I figure, I'll be replacing the '04 hose the first time I do any work under the tank... like checking the air filter.

Good reminder for all that have bikes 5 years or older, you should probably look to replacing that hose soon!
Does anyone know the OEM part number for this hose? I amthinking I should change this to be safe. Do I need to remove tupperware or just remove the tank?.Thanks

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
2005 ST1300
Boy do I feel stupid. It was in the same thread I posted. Thanks Joe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Does anyone know the OEM part number for this hose? I amthinking I should change this to be safe. Do I need to remove tupperware or just remove the tank?.Thanks

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Just remove the seat, front mounting bracket, and tank, make sure your fuel is down to two bars so it is just in the lower tank.

Bike
2005 ST1300

Just remove the seat, front mounting bracket, and tank, make sure your fuel is down to two bars so it is just in the lower tank.
Thanks Guys!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1300 2012
Bought 2 spares last fall when I got home after a 3 week hunting trip and noticed a full tank of fuel had run down the side of the bike while I was gone. Started snowing before I could work on it so I put it away, figuring it was this hose since I had seen the hose split comment several times and I had lifted the tank earlier in the year. This spring lifted the tank and discovered that what had actually happened was a mouse had eaten the Fuel Return Line, a small line nearby. Replaced both of them. While I was in there I also replaced the air filter that was absolutely packed with a mouse house! Running fine now - no unusual smells!
Next major service looming .... Tires!

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
And here I was afraid to necro this thread :p

So this just happened to myself while working in the air box... and needless to say half a tank of gas later.... DX.. My question is, since cleaning up the spill and doing my best of getting the wet gas off the bike is there anything I need to do/should do to clean it more? This happened last weekend so the bike has had 3 days to dry...

Also is there anything that I need to do when connecting the new hose before adding gas into the tank, crossing my fingers and cranking her up?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
And here I was afraid to necro this thread :p

So this just happened to myself while working in the air box... and needless to say half a tank of gas later.... DX.. My question is, since cleaning up the spill and doing my best of getting the wet gas off the bike is there anything I need to do/should do to clean it more? This happened last weekend so the bike has had 3 days to dry...

Also is there anything that I need to do when connecting the new hose before adding gas into the tank, crossing my fingers and cranking her up?
Just make sure that you get the hose seated all the way with the clamp on holding the hose tight, then fill it up with gas and go ride that bike.

STOC #
Talk about serendipity! I found this thread about a month back and decided to proactively order two replacement hoses. I planned on changing it out on my 2007 this Spring but fate had another plan. Last week we had a brutal cold snap that took the garage down below zero and I started noticing raw gas smell. Between two cars and two bikes, my mind immediately went to THE HOSE. Today I heated the garage with kero heater and homed right in on the 1300. It appears the hose was seeping a bit but instead of swapping it out now, I siphoned all fuel from the upper tank and will replace the hose in a few months when it warms back up. Knowledge is a good thing!

Last edited:
STOC #
I replaced the linked tank hose today. Found those clamps to be extraordinarily frustrating because of the width of those tangs on the hose clamps. A proper tool would have cut my experience by 1/3rd if I only knew what tool that is. Can someone clue me on a tool for larger preload clamps?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Bike
2004 ST 1300A
Hi folks, Great thread. I smell gas in my garage, and it seems to be coming from my 2004 ST. I inspected all the parts mentioned in this thread, but found no sign of leakage or worn hoses. I also have no outwar signs of a leak - just the smell. I rolled the bike out of the garage, just to make sure it was not something else - it was not. So, does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks, Jim

OP
OP
4jranch
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
The hose between the tanks is hard to inspect. I would still be suspicious. Have you recently raise the top tank for some reason. If this hose has not been replaced in the life of the bike, 11 years now, even more suspicious.

Bike
2004 ST 1300A
Thanks for the suggestion, I rechecked and it is still as dry as a bone in there. Absolutely n o sign of a leak anywere. I wonder if it could be from the gas cap - just thinking out loud, I'll go check a gasket there.
Thanks again

Hey y'all, I just wanted to document my experience with a major gas leak that occurred after working on the ST1300. I was installing an electric Rostra cruise control but same thing could easily occur changing the air filter. During part of the installation the gas tank was loosened, slid back and lifted from the front, supporting it with a wood block. This is exactly the same for changing the air filter. The difference was that I left the tank in this position for a few days. During the work I noted a slight gas smell but noted no leaking. I attributed the odor to having the intakes exposed and the engine primed a couple of times when turning the key off and on. The tank was low on gas as recommended in the manual for any work in this area. After the work was completed I test rode the bike a couple of times noting no problems. I then rode the bike in to fill it up, topping it off completely. I immediately noted a significant gas leak. At this point my actions were not very smart. I then rode the bike home, thinking I needed to get to some tools so I could lift the tank and reconnect the leaking hose. On arriving home the gas was pouring out, now down on hot exhaust. As quickly as possible the tank was removed but not without gas leaking everywhere, including on us. Thank God there was no issue. Sometimes I really stress my guardian angel. I cannot tell y'all how stressful this was or how absolutely stupid I felt afterward. We were very lucky.
The hose leaking was the main drain line from the tank. It apparently tore/ruptured after being bent during the time the gas tank was lifted up and back. When I refilled the tank after repair of the leaking hose, I had lost 3.5 gallons of gas.
The bike is an '07 so the hose is 5 years old but still seems soft and flexible enough. It can be replace at least temporarily by a Dayco hose #A71370.
I am writing this to warn others of this possible failure and hopefully prevent any serious fires that might result.
What have I learned?
#1. The main gas hose on the back of the ST's tank can crack significantly.
#2. This may have a very subtle presentation.
#3. Do not keep your gas tank up,with the hose bent, for extended periods of time.
#4. Check this hose carefully after any maintenance that requires moving the tank.
#5. Do not ignore a gas smell, it is coming from somewhere.
#6. If your bike starts leaking gas, even away from a convenient location, push it somewhere safe and let it sit until it stops and then investigate.

Please be careful with this problem, We were very luck...
I had a similar issue today. I was checking my air filter's condition and as I lifted the tank I heard a whooshing sound. I immediately lowered it and it stopped. I initially thought it was some type of overflow hose (normal rationalization bias). But as I lift it up again, to get to the damn filter, the crack on the hose got big enough that it was just leaking all over the place. Thanks to you, I can get the bike going using the Dayco part. Though I have already ordered a replacement honda hose.

Mine is a 2003 and I'm almost certain that was the original hose.

Top Bottom