Orange TPMS SAVED possible blowout & possible crash!!!!

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
I purchased an Orange Electronics TPMS from Larry (RealST) a few months ago. (Thanks again Larry)

It recently performed as advertized and saved me a possible blowout and a possible crash at high speeds.

A few days ago, I was on NY 390 south of Rochester when I stopped to fuel up. Got back onto 390 and was riding at around 70-75 mph in 85 F temps.
I continually scan my guages and a few miles down the road, I noticed that my TPMS was flashing for the rear tire. My tire pressure had dropped to 33 psi.
I searched my Zumo and found the next exit with a service station was 6 miles down 390.
I kept monitoring my rear tire pressure and it only dropped another 2 psi in the 6 miles.

When I got to the service centre, I found an arrow shaped metal shard in the centre of my rear tire.
I used 2 gummy worms to plug the leak and filled up my tire.
The plug lasted another 4 days (no one in New York or PA would patch the tire for me) and safely got me home.

Bottom line.........the TPMS saved a possible blowout and significantly reduced my travel time.

I had warning that a flat was inevitable and was able to get off the slab (390) in 85F temps and find a safe spot to repair the tire. Down time was maybe .....1/2 hour.

If you've ever considered getting a TPMS........DO IT!!

Andy

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's nice when a farkle pays you back.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have had TPMS for a few years and really like them.. Good to hear all worked out for the best! Like Mellow said. Is great when the farkle pays us back and performs as it should!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've had almost the exact same experience with my SmarTire system. I was also able to safely exit the freeway and find a service station with an air supply.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 Glad that paid you back.
Much better than finding out when you notice the handling getting squirrely. Which doesn't leave you a lot of time to get out of traffic.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I miss my SmartTire system. I tried the car sensors on my ST they didn't work out for me. So I am looking again for a TPMS that works as well as the SmarTire did.

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I also have to give some praise to the Orange TPMS system Larry hooked several of us up with. Joe/Mellow introduced these late last year and it sparked my interest, then Larry offered a group buy - I was "IN". I've used them for 1,000 miles and a week's trip to Deals Gap, Tellico Plains, and Blue Ridge and both aquired instantly and gave me confidence that my tires were up to the task of chewing up those corners....thousands of them in the course of a week!

Oh, the plug...my local Suzuki dealership owner and staff are great friends whom I've gotten to know over a 10 year period. They do all of my tire changes for me and they said the Orange units are the best units they have ever installed. They've done several Goldwing and factory BMW tire changes over the years, but said theses were smaller and looked more durable than the many others they have worked with. In fact, they are going to recommend these to their clients who want them installed. Balancing them was not an issue, requiring the normal balance and weight.

They have my "Thumbs Up" for sure. Regards, Gordon

Top Bottom