Advice- SMC Replaced, Now Only Right Side Pads Showing Wear!

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
STealer replaced SMC about three months ago, and yesterday I heard a scraping sound from the front end (actually discovered it with my GoPro II). Left front wheel pads look new, right side pads are worn to the plates. Both sets of pads are less than four months old; I inspected STealers work and I did a complete blake bleed procedure once I got the bike back (becasue I don't trust the STealer) and everything looked good back then. I leave for a 2K mile trip in 36 hours. I have new pads on the shelf and will be replacing both sides this evening after I finish Businiess and English homework.

Any special observations or concerns? Is there anything they could have screwed up internally that might cause left side caliper to not engage? Any recomendations other than clean and inspect?

Thanks,
Mark

Did you clean the pistons w/brake fluid when you replaced the pads? While the pistons were out as far as they were w/old pads? Could be there was something on the pistons that are making them stick and so the other caliper is doing twice the work.

I don't see how an smc replacement would cause this but, I've been surprised before.

"Replaced the SMC?" Stop...That's your problem. There is a very specific procedure to bleeding the brakes that HAS to be followed. I would BET that they did not do it correctly, but I don't want to take your money. LOL The air could be anywhere they left it, but it sounds like it is between the two front calipers. However you can not bleed just that line. The brakes can work fine with air in the system, till it starts having fits as he has.

One simple test for air to the rear line, I am not sure if it would help. Put the bike on center stand. Laying on ground facing the bike, spin the rear wheel with your foot or have a friend spin it. If you press on the SMC while the tire is moving it should lock up quickly. If it doesn't I would suspect air in the lines.

Note if they did not bleed the brakes at the shop properly, in the correct order, tilting the SMC or there WILL BE problems. That nub on the top of the SMC has to be tilted at 12 OClock when they bleed it. And I finally had to do it at 11, 12 and 1 O clock to get the air out of my system. Either way I would bet you need to have it bled out properly, in order, including the portioning valve. It is not hard, but complicated, and takes a tentative eye. A quicky bleed job will not make it for sure.
Ron

----
PS
My second thought is, were the brakes mounted properly? They need to be taken off to tell if they are in place. Some guys say you can have problems if they are not Honda OEM brake pads. Then I would question if the person who replaced the brakes damaged, bent or pushed dirt back into the 3 brake cylinders as Mellow suggests To check that you would need to put a plastic sheet on the gas tank and a rag around the master cylinder and open the rear fill reservoir. Then pull the brakes and push on those pistons and see if they move freely.

Back
Top Bottom