Installed MCL Lowered Pegs, Need to adjust Brake Pedal

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Hi,

I know this has probably been covered before, but I could not find it when I searched for the article. Does anyone have some instructions how to adjust the brake pedal, along with some photos?

The shifter lever is ok and I think I will leave it alone, but the brake pedal is such I have to lift my foot off of the footpeg to apply the brake.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Seth,

I installed the MCL brackets and had the same problem. There is no adjustment at the pedal. I have wondered about being able to adjust it at the master cylinder, but you can't get to that without pulling the fuel tank. I originally intended to check this out the next time I pulled the tank. That was 45,000 miles ago, and the tank has been out several times and I never thought about it again. I have just gotten used to it at the height it is and don't even think about it any more. Sorry I wasn't more help.

I would have thought someone in the know would have responded by now!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just be careful when riding as it will be very easy to drag the foot pegs which could cause some problems.

STOC #
I moved from an 1100 to an '03 1300 at the end of last summer. Did the same thing with the 1100, and what I did was notch, bend, and weld\fill in the notch to lower the brake pedal. Did this with an extra pedal just in case. So when I bought the 1300 I figured no problem. Lowered the peg, notched\bent the pedal, and then the problem. I have an ABS bike. To replace the stock pedal with the lowered pedal I need to remove the peg carrier. After removing some ten fasteners I was left with the rear master cylinder, attached with two screws holding metal brake lines. The screws are facing away from me and I could remove them working blind but I'm not sure if I could re install them working blind in a very tight space, so I'm stuck for now. Possibly a non ABS bike has different plumbing, making removing the foot peg carrier easier. The lowered pedal was on my 1100 for 100,000 miles when I sold the bike. If you want to discuss this more drop me a line.

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
You adjust the pedal height by the adjustable rod connected to the Master Clylinder. Remove the lower cowl to get to it. You will also need to adjust the brake light switch, remove the rubber plug (Triangular) a few inches above the footpeg.

Top Bottom