Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
'97 ST1100
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

So do I hear the general consensus is that the VFR V4 engine is inferior to the ST V4?

Bike
Vstrom 650

Latest Motorcyclist Magazine has reported that Honda will be releasing the VFR1200T V4 soon and new photos have been leaked though not shown in the magazine. Report is that it might have automatic dual clutch transmission as and option as well as well as a safety crumple-zone fairing and airbag setup. Honda applied for a patent for this system a couple of years ago. It is also reported that it may have cylinder deactivation technology that could improve fuel economy by 30%. Most of these rumors have been floating around for a while - apparently Honda was originally going to release this bike back in 2010 but the world economic slowdown put it on hold for a bit.
Hope that deactivation technology isn't the dreaded vtek

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

So do I hear the general consensus is that the VFR V4 engine is inferior to the ST V4?
Uh...what? :confused:

I have both. They're both bullet-proof, very efficient, very fast, 16-valve, fuel-injected Honda engines. The VFR V4's design is +/- 10 years newer technology, some of it MotoGP-inspired. The VFR12 engine is physically smaller, and lighter in weight than the VFR800 engine. Does that make it superior to the ST's engine? Probably not--they're two different engines, designed for different applications.

Just as hard a question to answer would be, which one's better, the CBR600RR engine or the GL1800's?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Hope that deactivation technology isn't the dreaded vtek
I believe it's cylinder deactivation, e.g., two cylinders dropping out in low demand conditions to improve fuel economy. That info appeared in moto mags in 2009 and Motorcyclist brought back the topic in their current issue...maybe they know something we don't, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

ST1300 is lacking on power. It does not look good as the other bikes. It is too heavy, heaviest of all... Has nothing as far as gadgetry except the temperature gauge.
It was not updated for 11 years and no one with the right mind will buy one, brand new. Yes it is reliable (somewhat) and very smooth engine. Comes with 2 side cases which is great.

I will not buy anything heavier than 650 lb ever again. Many people still buying 15$ and up $ bikes, I seen and talk to them. Many people still have money but they don't want to buy an old tank called st1300. :D (I can't prove it but it sounds just about right.)

Even vfr1200f is on the heavy side for a sport bike (how honda thinks of vfr1200f) so maybe v4 is not the engine for bikes. Maybe if they come up with an inline 4 like cbr engine, that will fix the problems??

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

ST1300 is lacking on power. It does not look good as the other bikes. It is too heavy, heaviest of all... Has nothing as far as gadgetry except the temperature gauge.
It was not updated for 11 years and no one with the right mind will buy one, brand new. Yes it is reliable (somewhat) and very smooth engine. Comes with 2 side cases which is great.

I will not buy anything heavier than 650 lb ever again. Many people still buying 15$ and up $ bikes, I seen and talk to them. Many people still have money but they don't want to buy an old tank called st1300. :D (I can't prove it but it sounds just about right.)

Even vfr1200f is on the heavy side for a sport bike (how honda thinks of vfr1200f) so maybe v4 is not the engine for bikes. Maybe if they come up with an inline 4 like cbr engine, that will fix the problems??
The ST definitely needs updating , but what you describe is already available from Yamaha and Kawasaki. The ST has a unique engine configuration that is not only efficient, but very smooth. Just what you need in a touring bike. There may be a new Sport tourer in the works from Honda, but if it's based on the VFR it won't be an ST.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

ST1300 is lacking on power.
A false statement. The ST has stronger low-end torque than the C14 and FJR1300.

It does not look good as the other bikes.
A totally subjective statement. I think it still looks better (more polished) than even the newest FJR.

It is too heavy, heaviest of all...
A false statement. The K1600GT is heavier.

Has nothing as far as gadgetry except the temperature gauge.
A false statement. Instant fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, electric windshield, electric headlight adjustment, linked brakes, hidden tip-over/crash protection...

It was not updated for 11 years and no one with the right mind will buy one, brand new.
A very offensive statement to any of our newer members who recently bought a new one.

I will not buy anything heavier than 650 lb ever again.
And that of course, is your choice.

so maybe v4 is not the engine for bikes. Maybe if they come up with an inline 4 like cbr engine, that will fix the problems??
Apparently you're forgetting Honda's history. The V4 engine, starting in the early 1980's (VF Interceptors, VFR Interceptors, Sabres, Magnas) is the engine that won Honda many racing championships, and put many Honda motorcycles into the garages of very happy riders. I have a VFR1200F, and love the engine. I have a CBR1000RR, and love the engine. But, I'd also very quickly buy a new Honda super-sport bike with a V4 engine.

The Honda MotoGP V4 engine seems to work well-enough for a few unknown losers named Marc Marquez, Dani Pedrosa, Stefan Bradl, and Alvaro Bautista--there's a rumor that those guys do quite well around a racetrack. :D

In addition, you might also be hard-pressed to convince Max Biaggi, who won WSBK world championships on an Aprilia RSV4, that the V4, "is not the engine for bikes." In 2007, Casey Stoner on the Desmosedici would laugh at you too.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

That 1261 cc V4 is a great engine for a sport tourer. Sure, it isn't the highest HP or torque but has a flat torque curve and pulls good no matter what gear no matter what rev. Roll on to pass, no need to drop one or two gears like some other sport tourers with peakier curves. It's smooth and gets reasonable economy. It's rep is bullet proof and it stays out of the shop.

All of this doesn't matter though if all you do it troll for comments.

Bike
2007 ST1300

They would have to improve the ergonomics of the VFR before I would ever choose one over an ST1300. The VFR is a fine bike but it is no Sport Tourer unless your 5'10 or less or don 't mind your legs cramped behind you. I personally like the fact that the ST1300 is kind of tank especially when you do some long hours sharing the interstate with trucks like I did today. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

I'll give you $1000 today for your ST13 -- sight unseen. Get it out of your driveway for you. ;)

Bike
2006 ST1300

I personally like the fact that the ST1300 is kind of tank especially when you do some long hours sharing the interstate with trucks like I did today. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.
This is something I've said many times. If I want a lightweight sport bike that changes lanes by itself every time a truck goes by I'll buy a CBR. The ST is tilted toward the Touring side and I like that. I like that I can carry a pillion and hardly know they are there. Put an average adult (not the 100 lb woman found on the back of most sportbikes) on the rear of most lightweight bikes and they become unstable and scary to ride. Now throw a weekend worth of gear and see how it handles.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200

... I like that I can carry a pillion and hardly know they are there. Put an average adult (not the 100 lb woman found on the back of most sportbikes) ...
As much as I like my 2012 ST1300 I'd have to strongly consider trading her if the new bike came complete with a 100 lb pillion ;-)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Re: isappointed

For thumperjdm; bmw k1600gt is selling but honda is not! i dont see those racers racing with a vfr1200f are they? You are right about the crash bars though. I like them a lot...

For glent; You ruined the st1300 reputation :D , just 1000 $ oooo maannn irreparable damage for the st1300... they will attack you too now... just watch....

I had to agree on one thing though, I shouldn't have said that "no one with the right mind will buy a new st1300"... I consider all motorcycle riders lacking the right mind...including myself...
I don't know low end torque but fjr is waaaaaayyyyy faster than st1300.... no question there.. and they updated their bike... where is honda's apples ??

Some honda defenders needed immediately, help plese....

Last edited:
Bike
'15 FJR ES

I think the point is that if you hate the ST1300 so much, get rid of it and get something you do like. If it is so bad that all you can do is to fuss and complain about it on a forum dedicated to it, sell it. While this thread is complaining about the lack of a replacement, you are the only one complaining about the bike itself. If you need a thread for bashing the ST1300 there is probably one on the Concourse or BMW forums.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

They would have to improve the ergonomics of the VFR before I would ever choose one over an ST1300. The VFR is a fine bike but it is no Sport Tourer unless your 5'10 or less or don 't mind your legs cramped behind you. I personally like the fact that the ST1300 is kind of tank especially when you do some long hours sharing the interstate with trucks like I did today. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.
You are right, Honda classifies the vfr1200f as a sport bike. NOT A TOURER OR A SPORT TOURER. Therefore it is a sport bike with the capability of accepting ugly looking small side bags. That is all..
Many didn't bother buying them because they are darn heavy and those people don't care about shaft drive. Since it is not a tourer we don't like 'em...
St is good but needs desperate upgrades and updates... Honda is sleeping shhhhhhhhhh....

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

I think the point is that if you hate the ST1300 so much, get rid of it and get something you do like. If it is so bad that all you can do is to fuss and complain about it on a forum dedicated to it, sell it. While this thread is complaining about the lack of a replacement, you are the only one complaining about the bike itself. If you need a thread for bashing the ST1300 there is probably one on the Concourse or BMW forums.
That wont be fun, it is more real when someone has the bike and say something real... I am not bashing, really, think about it. We were making suggestions, good ones too, but all of a sudden some of us got defensive and it continued afterwards. That is why in a sense we reach 1072 posts... It touched some nerves.... That is when you get really good opinions....
I like many things about ST1300, that is why I keep it. But that does not mean that I can't say negative things about it. This is not "st1300 protection forum" it is "replacement for the st1300" forum... So the concept I believe is, replacement should be better than st1300... We put out the parts we hate so maybe Honda is watching...... ta taaaa.... I think you catch my drift..

This is something I've said many times. If I want a lightweight sport bike that changes lanes by itself every time a truck goes by I'll buy a CBR. The ST is tilted toward the Touring side and I like that. I like that I can carry a pillion and hardly know they are there. Put an average adult (not the 100 lb woman found on the back of most sportbikes) on the rear of most lightweight bikes and they become unstable and scary to ride. Now throw a weekend worth of gear and see how it handles.
A couple of years ago, I owned a '79 GL1000. At the time the Gold Wing was introduced, it was billed as the heaviest production motorcycle ever made. It had a dry weight of 589 lbs. The GL1000 was the most stable motorcycle in heavy crosswinds that I have ever ridden. And I don't think anyone would argue that it was not the most comfortable ride for both rider and pillion in its day.

The ST13 could stand to lose 100 lbs.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

Agree Glen, but how?
Take away 2 gallons of fuel? You should hear the COG guys complain about 5.8 gallons. FJR guys complain that the bike is difficult if your over 5'8".
I might be happy with some updated instruments, 50 pounds and a TURBO All under 15K
I just don't see a return on the investment Honda would have to make to revamp a new sport tour.
Funny to hear guys who weigh over 240 pounds complain about how heavy it is. Want a lighter bike take it off your A**.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

The range on the C14 is no worse than a Wing... so coming from a Wing to a C14 was no big deal... after 200 miles, I'm ready for a break.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #

If I want a lightweight sport bike that changes lanes by itself every time a truck goes by
FWIW, I've found that my FJR feels less affected by truck turbulence than my ST did, even though the FJR weighs 100 lbs less.

Top Bottom