Rubber Mat Under Carbs Missing?

Bike
91 Silver ST
STOC #
After removing the carb assembly I realized that there was no rubber mat under the Carbs like I've seen in pictures on the ST Forums. Should I be concerned and make one or forget about it? If I need to make one does anyone have template that would make the job easier? :D

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I don't think Mother Honda would have included it if it wasn't necessary. I don't have anything to use as a template but I bet there are plenty of photos here that would get you close enough.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I believe the mat is there more to keep hot air out of the air box than any other reason. Apparently the bike was running before the missing mat was known....

There *may* be a template on "the liST" site; ST-Riders.net

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
+1 on sirepair's statement.
I have made new ones out of material from a building center. Pool liner specifically. But without the original to trace,,,it would be a pain to get it right.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
IMO, the rubber mat keeps trash from falling in the engine's V. If mine was gone, I wouldn't worry about it, especially since the bike runs OK. Makes it easier to see if the coolant elbows are leaking. Stick a Shop-vac in there every once in a while.

To make one without a pattern: Put some chalkline chalk on the intakes and lay your rubber or pool liner flat on top of them and the chalk will outline where you need to cut your intake holes. Trim and slot where needed to lie flat and presto, your done.

I remember working on a template - but I am not sure if I finished it...

Here is what I have. It is actually to scale and will require 6 pages to print. You then align the index marks in the corner and tape it all together

Attachments

Last edited:
Well - the test would be to see if it prints properly. That is why the scale is on their. If it works right, the scale should actually measure 15" across

I haven't used the program I used to create that diagram in quite a while and slightly recall an issue when printing to pdf. So I just printed the top two pages (that contain the scale) and it is in fact off by about 1/2". I think the pdf is adding margins or something.

When I print the diagram directly from my computer - it scales out correctly. Not sure what to do at this point, but I will look at it later on tonight (I don't have the time to deal with it right not)

I am able to save the file in the AutoCad format if somebody can do something with it. It doesn't look like I can actually upload and attach the file so here is a link to it

Rubber Mat.zip

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Replace the mat, IMNSHO. Mother Honda put it there for a reason. My guess is primarily to keep the gas in the float bowls from boilling.

John

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I agree John.
I used a think PVC sheet that I found in the plumbing section at Home Depot. The sheet is meant to be used under a mortar bed in showers; but, I figured it'd do just fine in this usage.

OP
OP
kfostermt
Bike
91 Silver ST
STOC #
I remember working on a template - but I am not sure if I finished it...

Here is what I have. It is actually to scale and will require 6 pages to print. You then align the index marks in the corner and tape it all together
GitSum, if I decide to put in the now missing mat I will let you know how your template works out thanks to all for your help. :D With the job I'm undertaking you can rest assured there will be more questions!

Looking forward to meeting some of you at Westoc 2013

Bike
92 ST1100
+1 to John's statement........and bout 4 other good reasons to have it in place. When replacing elbows/o-rings, just cleaned the mat, set it in the sun for drying and pliability and reinstalled......looked and fit as new.

Top Bottom