Rough running and quitting 1300

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Yesterday, I braved the 90* heat and rode down to AMORENO's house to try and help him with a problem.

His 2004 has been running rough and occasionally quitting since he bought it used. It's a Canadian bike. The dealer has replaced the fuel pump and done other things and now wants to replace the ECM, yet they never even pulled the codes, or even knew how to!

The codes stored were 12, 13 and 19. 12 and 13 are injector 1 and 2. This makes sense, since the bike sat for several years before he bought it and probably was run on some old, bad gas. I think those problems are gone.

Code 19 is a CKP Sensor, or CranK Position sensor. Since the bike only has about 20,000km, (maybe miles, not sure), and the valves have never been done, I suspect the wiring, since nobody has been in there to "mis-adjust" the crank.

Anyway, we cleared the ECM of codes and went for a ride. The bike ran perfectly and the problem did not appear on our short ride.

Is it possible just clearing the codes fixed the problem? If it happens again, we'll check the wiring. If fine, try my old ECM, then replace sensor, if not an ECM problem.

Any other suggestions?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Codes are just codes... I'm pretty sure they don't change anything.

I would check the T fitting under the air box and all those hoses for junk...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'd start with some seafoam and MMO if its been sitting a while, that and fresh fuel.
As Mellow stated, check the T-fitting on the map sensor lines, however, don't stop there, be sure to check the LINES that go to the T-fitting as well.
The map sensor vaccum line is shaped like a kitchen sink trap, from high, to low, then up high again. I've been finding goop in the lines behind the fitting.
Do a TB sync and simply replace the lines with new.

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
Is it possible just clearing the codes fixed the problem?
Nope. Merely clearing codes will not "fix" the problem.

Also, check airbox for mouse infiltration.
+1. Specifically, look under the air box. There have been several incidents of critters doing a number on the wire harness, under the airbox, and elsewhere.

OP
OP
stgolfer
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Nope. Merely clearing codes will not "fix" the problem.
I didn't think it would, but one can hope, can't they?

Critters are not a problem around here, but you never know. I'll have him check.

I suspect a wiring problem as he has spliced many connectors into the wiring harness near the ECM, I think for a FCE, however that was installed trying to smooth out the rough idle, so the problem was there before.

The bike is currently running and idling fine, but I suspect it will come back.

I think at this point, we'll wait until he has another problem, check the codes, then go from there. Lift airbox, check for critters, check/clear the T-fitting and lines, check wiring, etc.

OP
OP
stgolfer
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Sync the Throttle bodies.
Pretty sure he already did that, too. Recently, the bike has just quit on him, several times. After a few minutes rest, it will re-start. I'd like to see Alex chime in here, (I sent him the link), but he's working two jobs right now and time is an issue for him.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
That's what the dealer said, so they replaced it. No change. He's getting tired of chasing down this problem and I don't blame him. Especially at dealer prices.
Sorry, I missed that post. Next time try opening and closing the gas cap and see if that helps.

Top Bottom