So... what next?

STOC #
Well after 9 great years I put my ST1100 up for sale and am left wondering what next? I'm not a Harley guy, don't want a crotch rocket, maybe a Gold Wing, too cheap for a Ducati... So now what?

I do have a DRZ 400 but it's not the best for cuising the countryside.

Lots of choices now days and after reading my Cycle World from cover to cover every month I haven't found anything that strikes my fancy.:confused:

Anybody else experienced this dilemma?

OP
OP
GI_Alan
STOC #
@ HAMMR - I must admit that I still have a love affair with the 2004 ST1300. That blue is just gorgeous! And according to our fellow forum members it's the fastest! Ha!

OP
OP
GI_Alan
STOC #
@ Smash - You know I went to the Chicago Motorcycle Show and sat on about 20 different kind of bikes and just didn't feel any particular one as being "IT".

Now I did like a couple of Victory's, the new FB6 is cool looking, Triumph has made some tremendous strides, and then there's Ducati... ahhh sex on wheels. But just like a really hot Italian chick... a little expensive! Ha!

You know what's crazy is that before my son and I headed off for the show my wife told me to buy whatever I wanted! Must be reverse psychology!

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I have discussed this one often among friends, without my ST, I don't know what I would want. The only other option for me would be a new FJR or a Super Tenere. And yes, the '04 Blue was actually the fastest. That paint was developed by the government as part of a secret experiment. The real name for it is ST Superfast Ballistic Blue. That paint has a smoother more aerodynamic surface than conventional paint and had to be applied with a special spray gun that gave the surface microscopic dimples similar to a golf ball to allow it to slide effortlessly through the air. It is actually so hard that it will stop a .50 BMG at 25 yards yet is lighter than conventional paint. You will notice that owners of the '04 actually report better fuel mileage and spending less money on wax. Of course, some of us tend to ahhh, embellish a good story as well.:) Do share what you decide to do.

OP
OP
GI_Alan
STOC #
@redfish - Yes I have looked at the FJR and almost bought one but I felt like I was cheating with another Sport tourer! Ha!

@two wheeled - You're a man after my own heart I too have owned a CB700SC! 1985 Black and Blue Nighthawk "S". "S" stood for speed. loved that bike! And yes I have looked at the VStrom. I think I need to take one for a ride!

OP
OP
GI_Alan
STOC #
Think about a Blackbird. Get the old heart rate up a bit.
Yes I told my neighbor next door that I was going to get something to wake him up in the morning. Something with attitude maybe a Superhawk with aftermarket pipes. There's a guy that cruises through my neighborhood occasionally that has a Honda RVT1000 with new pipes and the sound of that thing damn near gives me wood! Ha! Sweet music to the ears!

VFR1200! Honda build quality and engineering. Smooooth V-4 power. Semi-auto trans if you want. Somewhat uncommon, so you won't keep seeing yourself on the road (kinda like an ST1300). Sporty enough to prevent boredom but comfy enough to rack up some miles. Available luggage. What's not to love? OK, the looks may be a debatable point but so what?

Or if you just want to tool around for a couple-three hours at a stretch, how about a snazzy Triumph Bonneville? A fun ride and you get lots of attention wherever you stop.

pete

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I highly recommend both the CB1100 and the VFR1200F DCT. The garage has one of each, and both put their own kind of smile on my face. You can't beat Honda build quality, and reliability.

OP
OP
GI_Alan
STOC #
I highly recommend both the CB1100 and the VFR1200F DCT. The garage has one of each, and both put their own kind of smile on my face. You can't beat Honda build quality, and reliability.
That CB1100 is a nice bike but a little expensive. BUT... The VFR1200 is really moving up the want scale. I got a lead on a 2012 brand new for about $10900. I'm starting to get the feeling.

Bike
ST1300A '10
every year in the depths of winter I go to the bike show with high hopes but lately, there just hasn't been much to exite me. I'm really tired of cruiser-anything which still seems to be where most of the emphasis is placed. I use to like BMW's until they got borg-like. Having owned several ADV bikes I'm kind of over that as well (tho I still love my Ural!). What I'd really like to buy is good standard. The Bonnies look the part but riding them leaves me cold. The CB1100 is a jewel but unfortunatly it seems to want me to be 3-5" shorter than I am. About ten years ago I had a W650, 'never should have sold that bike. It hit all the right buttons for me. Maybe Kawasaki will wake up and bring the W800 into the States. For touring I do believe the ST1300 is best, particularly if you are tall. The other bike I might look at if I were in the market would be the F6B. It would need some modding (taller screen being #1) but it just might be the first Wing in a long time that would fit. 'Criuser, bagger, tourer-whatever, it and the CB would be on the top of my list tho if Kawasaki did an order program for the W, my check would be at the local dealer this afternoon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom