Interesting charging issue Saturday

Bike
2006 ST1300
My wife and I went on a rush trip to Virginia this past weekend. The full story will be posted soon as it turned out to be a great trip. The not so great part was that we got stuck in several hours of bumper to bumper traffic Saturday in nearly 100 degree temps in Virginia. We had been doing this on I-95 which had turned into a parking lot, so we turned off onto Rt. 1 to see if we could do better. That worked for about a mile of slow speeds, then things ground to a halt. We were stuck in another parking lot. Crawling forward 20 feet at a time was taking it's toll on both of us, but we were handling it. We passed a couple Harleys pulled off to the side cooling off. I barely got finished explaining the air-cooled thing to my wife, and how we didn't have that problem, when I noticed my temperature climbing. Huh? ST's don't do this! I watched my gauge hit 4 bars for a while, then quickly flash to 5 bars. While being concerned about that I also noticed my neutral light starting to get dim. Uh oh. The cooling issue was ignored while I thought about the charging issue. I knew my battery was poor at best. I could rev the engine to charge it, but that would make the cooling issue worse.

I decided to try to reduce the strain by unplugging both headlights. While sitting in traffic, still seated on the bike (no place to pull over right then...and we were going up a steep hill) I attempted to reach down to unplug the headlights. No luck. Just then the bike stalled. Dead. Pushed the started button and as expected, nothing. I pushed it to the side of the road- which was about 10" of pavement and 12" of dirt.

I assessed the situation and finally had the ability to reason it out. What had happened was the battery got so low that the fans stopped working, causing the overheating issue. O.K., now what to do about it. We were still in bumper to bumper traffic, on a 2-lane one-way road with no turnoffs anywhere in sight. We had no idea how much further the hill went.

O.K., I had an idea. One my wife didn't like. I let the bike cool for a while which really didn't help a lot. While it was cooling I was able to get the headlights unplugged. After 45 minutes on the side of the road we got a car to hold up for a minute while we got the bike turned around. Remember this was a one-way road? Yea. My wife did too, and wasn't happy with this plan. Once the bike was facing the wrong way on the side of the one-way road I had my wife walk down the hill and hold up traffic. I pushed hard and hopped on...and on the 3rd time letting the clutch out it started!

With the headlights unplugged it charged up fairly quickly. I had one more dead battery during the trip because I left my GPS on during a dinner stop (yes, the Scorpion was THAT bad!) but we made it home fine.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Wow, that is too bad. It is inconvenient to have a battery go south on you anytime, but having it happen in the conditions you and your wife were in is even more of a hippcup I'm your plans. Glad everything worked out for you.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I can't blame anyone but myself. I knew that battery was having problems since Moonshine 2012...LOL. I procrastinated, tried dealing with Scorpion when I was able to have the bike parked long enough, then I kept putting it off as long as the bike was still starting. I finally ordered a Yuasa from Evapar a couple days before this trip but again...I didn't plan far enough ahead. I just found the cooling trouble an interesting side affect of the bad battery. Of course at idle our charging systems put out very little, and the combination of bad battery and electric fans running constantly were too much for it. Knowing what I know now, as to the reason behind the overheating, I should have gone against instinct and let the engine rev a bit higher in the traffic- it would have charged enough to charge the battery and run the fan fast enough to cool down the engine. While sitting in the heat and not putting 2 and 2 together, I was treating each problem separately and didn't want to rev the engine and put more strain on the cooling system.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Under the extreme conditions... don't really know if I would fault the battery. Seems like it did a pretty good job. It died giving it's all... Good story and a good remedy, good thing you did not see any LEO's while traveling the wrong way! Well look at it this way... it was probably all very entertaining for those sitting there watching.:D

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It's toast :).
I've been in a 104 parking lot on the interstate and never saw anything but 3 bars.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Under the extreme conditions... don't really know if I would fault the battery. Seems like it did a pretty good job. It died giving it's all... Good story and a good remedy, good thing you did not see any LEO's while traveling the wrong way! Well look at it this way... it was probably all very entertaining for those sitting there watching.:D
A good battery would have lasted much longer. To put things in perspective, my 6 year old Yuasa had no problem starting the bike after leaving my GPS on all weekend. Monday we stopped for lunch and I forgot to power off the GPS and the battery wouldn't start the bike 45 minutes later. It had no chance with the fans running at idle.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good reason to have a Voltage meter on the bike. Since you were idling for so long, it probably wasn't charging too well. Which did your battery in.

Good point though, with Justins and my trip tomorrow, I just might see if I have extra space to carry my Shorai battery in case we hit some heat that destroys one of our batteries. :)

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Also a good reason to wire the gps to switched 12v ....
I'll be installing a switch inside my left pocket so I can switch between switched power, and constant on. I use the always-on during rallies or long trips so the GPS is always getting a reading, so my average speed, times, etc. stay accurate. I obviously didn't need that this weekend. I should have taken the time to move the power for the GPS from the unswitched terminal on my power strip to the switched terminal before the trip. Maybe this weekend I can go out of town and pick up a switch to install.

Top Bottom