In Dash Audio Install Options

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
Just thought I would share this option with all of you. I am in the process of doing the install & have to tell you it is not a very cheap one but if you want it to sound nice and look neat here goes...
*Ordered a set (from Europe) ST factory speakers for the in dash speaker option. Cost Approx $200) After getting them tossed out the speakers that came with them and kept the speaker boxes and mounting gear. Now if you are good you can make your own Baffles/enclosures but I wanted something that would mount up perfect behind those speaker grills.
I then Ordered a pair of 2 way 4" Polk Audio Marine Rated speakers to replace them. They plop into the speaker boxes nicely. RMS is aprox 40 watts. Approx Price ($70) for the pair.
*Ordered a small weather resistant amp that has enough RMS Watts approx 36 watts per chan to run the front speakers. This amp is made by MH Instruments. It is roughly the size of a CD. (Approx Price $180)
*My Audio Source is my XM Sat Radio running from the Garmin 2730 I ordered. Found for ($830 and $40 extra for an extended 3 year Warranty on the unit) I will feed the amp directly off of that utilizing the Headphone output.
How it all sounds? I test rode a bike (Cruiser) with open pipes and had same amp and similar speakers(Blaupunkts) and could still hear them very well up to 75 MPH. So imagine how nice it will sound in the ST? Well when I am done with the install I will report back and let you know how it turned out. Look for updates back here in the following two weeks...
I am still waiting for half of the electronics to arrive but I will keep you all well informed as the project pans out.

Hi Markos:

Would you be able to measure up the speaker boxes and post the dimensions. I've been thinking about putting together a waterproof enclosure for some farkles and mounting them where the boxes go. Getting the dimensions would let me sort it out a lot easier than trial and error.

Thanks.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
BC Rider said:
Hi Markos:

Would you be able to measure up the speaker boxes and post the dimensions. I've been thinking about putting together a waterproof enclosure for some farkles and mounting them where the boxes go. Getting the dimensions would let me sort it out a lot easier than trial and error.

Thanks.
I have have the install doc for the speakers but I don't think it has the dimensions. I have been looking for them also.

Curt

Attachments

JZH

International Bodger
markosde said:
*Ordered a set (from Europe) ST factory speakers for the in dash speaker option. Cost Approx $200) After getting them tossed out the speakers that came with them and kept the speaker boxes and mounting gear.
:eek: Hopefully, you will see the humor in your having tossed out approximately $170-worth of the speaker kit... (In any case, others can learn from your experience and simply order the speaker enclosures separately: 08A54-MCS-80001 and 08A54-MCS-80002, approx. $15 ea.)

markosde said:
I then Ordered a pair of 2 way 4" Polk Audio Marine Rated speakers to replace them. They plop into the speaker boxes nicely. RMS is aprox 40 watts. Approx Price ($70) for the pair.
Looking forward to hearing how well these speakers work. Finding good, marine-rated speakers that fit in the Honda enclosures could have been a problem (I'd read on another board about someone buying speakers that didn't fit), but if these have good sound at high volumes, I think you may have cracked it.

I bought the speaker boxes mainly because I could, but as of now I don't know what I'm going to do about an amp. I don't think I'd use the speakers enough to justify spending $180 on an amp, regardless of how good it is. Keep us posted!

[I can't find them at the moment, but I measured the boxes and posted the measurements a couple of weeks ago.]

Cheers,

Last edited:
What is the amp you got?? Im interested because it sounds like its small.

I was looking at this one, as it is waterproof, and has a remote volume control.

Click Here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
markosde

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
Here is a link to the one I am getting. No Volume control but thats because I'm using the volume control on the Garmin Unit from the Headphone output.
http://www.mhinstruments.com/products/raw40.htm
The Doktor said:
What is the amp you got?? Im interested because it sounds like its small.

I was looking at this one, as it is waterproof, and has a remote volume control.

Click Here.

OP
OP
markosde

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
Speakers Fit!

So I have the Amp, Speaker Enclosures and the Speakers....(No Garmin Unit Yet, still on the way) The speakers fit into the enclosure nicely. I am going to hook up the Amp to the speakers while resting them into the enclosures and feed the amp a signal just so I can test out how well it sounds before I plop into the bike. I will run one more test with the Garmin unit when I get it before I plop it into the Bike and then it's Mod Time! I will report back with results as I test!

lookin forward to hearing.. gonna do similar stuff meself, not that I really want in dash audio....more because I can:D

u.k farkles

JZH said:
:eek: Hopefully, you will see the humor in your having tossed out approximately $170-worth of the speaker kit... (In any case, others can learn from your experience and simply order the speaker enclosures separately: 08A54-MCS-80001 and 08A54-MCS-80002, approx. $15 ea.)

Looking forward to hearing how well these speakers work. Finding good, marine-rated speakers that fit in the Honda enclosures could have been a problem (I'd read on another board about someone buying speakers that didn't fit), but if these have good sound at high volumes, I think you may have cracked it.

I bought the speaker boxes mainly because I could, but as of now I don't know what I'm going to do about an amp. I don't think I'd use the speakers enough to justify spending $180 on an amp, regardless of how good it is. Keep us posted!

[I can't find them at the moment, but I measured the boxes and posted the measurements a couple of weeks ago.]

Cheers,
hello, can you give me a link to where i might buy those speaker boxes, good day,

JZH

International Bodger
I got mine from David Silver Spares in the UK; Try typing in the part numbers at Ron Ayers or Service Honda in the USA--might be available Stateside?

Oh, I found the measurements: 50mm deep (max.); four bolts on a 4.5" bolt circle; opening is 3.75" diameter. I believe this equates to a "4-in" round speaker.

Ciao,

OP
OP
markosde

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
Update on how it sounds!

OK, So here is the low down...Sounds great! I'm able to hear it plenty clear using the stock windshield going up to 75-80 MPH with the volume on 90% on the Garmin unit. I have run into one snag thoug....and am wondering if anyone has an idea...
Every time I remove my key from the ignition....the time, trip odometer and all the other goodies on the dashboard get reset. I did not punch into any of the factory wires? I used a 3 Pin Connector and plugged into the Black connector coming off of the Accessories harness. I have both the amp and Garmin unit ruining from the same connector...so What is causing power to be lost to the dash readouts every time I remove the key?! I notice that I am unable to see the time display anymore in the dash readout without the key in it anymore also....I did install the 12v Lighter Adapter into the right pocket...but that was the standard Honda socket also...plug right into the Red connector on that one.....Any Ideas out there? HELP?!

Last edited:
OP
OP
markosde

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
One more detail

I forgot to mention that in my test, it was done with a Open-face half helmet. Last night I did some more riding with a Full face helmet and found that I could hear it a little better.

cool.. thats it, im doin audio on my bike!
do a bit of a search, I have seen that problem discussed before. Seems there is a fused permanent 12V supply to the dash and a switched 12V. and if the Permanent 12V supply fuse blows, theres ur problem!

OP
OP
markosde

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
Found the problem

yep..I had a blown 10 amp fuse on the bike. It is the amp that supplies the constant 12 volts without the key in the ignition. I must have blown it when I think I mixed up the positive & negative wires when I wired them up to the 3 Pin connector. All is good again and the install is working great and sounds great. One thing I think I am going to add to it though is an inline On off switch on the amp...reason being is that the amp is ALWAYS on when power is supplied...there is no way of shutting it off and I don't want it draining the battery when im not using the Sat Radio or GPS. Any ideas for a good mounting spot for a switch? If anyone has any other questions about this install please feel free to ask. I was so thrilled by it and are looking to hear from others who have tried this also and how theirs turned out.Pleasure to be of service...out..

Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Markos, do you have a Stebel air horn installed as well? I was wondering if the right speaker box needs some of the same space.

OP
OP
markosde

markosde

Corporal
STOC #
Never took any during the install, there was not anything done out of the ordinary to justify taking them. I installed the speaker enclosures exactly as instructed on the instructions that came from Honda with the speaker enclosures and just hung the amp with a Zip tie behind the Dash.

Top Bottom