ST1300 Power Screen servicing...

Osh

Bike
2007 ST1300
Good afternoon guys,

So this is my first real post ? please forgive me if I?ve put this in the wrong section; I?m sure a mod will be along shortly to ensure its moved to the right place if I have? :)

So I?m the proud owner of a 2007 ST1300 and I need to give her some TLC to get her up to a better condition ? I?m away this weekend visiting my son at University ? but next weekend I am planning on have a fettling day. One of the first jobs I need to do is to get the electric/power screen working properly ? ST1300?s have a history of failure and problems and I need to get this sorted....:confused:

Currently the screen doesn?t go up or down but I believe that?s because either the fuse has been removed; as I understand it from the guy that I bought mine from, the screen will go up but then won?t come back down again; turn the bike off ? take the fuse out; put the fuse back in and start the bike up again and you can lower the screen. So the actual mechanical mechanism isn?t broken ? and it suggest a knackered relay.

Just wanted to check if anyone on here is something of a guru on this part of the bike and has successfully played with the screen mechanism to get it repaired. Any help and advice I can get on this will really be of great help before I start out?

Thanks for any guidance in adavance:ukflag1:

Osh

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, it doesn't sound like it is a gear issue. If it is a relay, one way to check is to test the two relays located under the front cowl:

WindshieldRelays.jpg

The relays, one is for raising and the other for lowering, are identical and if one is bad, by swapping them around you should be able to figure it out which is which.

good luck!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I agree check out the relays first while you are in there on one side of the mechanism are limit switches. One at the top and one at the bottom. Might as well check them out as well.

OP
OP

Osh

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi guys,

that sounds brilliant. How difficult is it to get the cowl off; did this in the past with my old VFR - is the ST similar to work on...??

Thanks

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi guys,

that sounds brilliant. How difficult is it to get the cowl off; did this in the past with my old VFR - is the ST similar to work on...??

Thanks
I would try just removing the upper windshield cowl and the instrument panel to try to get to the relays.

1. remove the windshield (leave the adjuster brackets on the windshield, just unbolt from the four bolts on the brackets)
Windshield.jpgand Pop the mirrors off,

2. remove the 8 plastic rivets,UpperWindshieldCowl.jpg

3. remove four screws at the front of the two pockets

4. remove four screws that go from the panel into the upper windshield cowl (you can remove the cowl at this point.)

5. remove the two screws on each side of the panel (hidden under the mirrors - not the mirror clip holders.)
InstrumentPanel.jpg

6. And remove the little rubber pieces that attach from the panel to the front cowl.

7. Unplug the two connectors at the back of the instrument panel and remove and put in a safe place...don't what to be tripping over it.

That shoud expose enough for you to get to the relays.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
FYI, if you do have a bad micro switch, Radio Shack has a suitable replacement.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I would try just removing the upper windshield cowl and the instrument panel to try to get to the relays.

1. remove the windshield (leave the adjuster brackets on the windshield, just unbolt from the four bolts on the brackets)
Windshield.jpgand Pop the mirrors off,

2. remove the 8 plastic rivets,UpperWindshieldCowl.jpg

3. remove four screws at the front of the two pockets

4. remove four screws that go from the panel into the upper windshield cowl (you can remove the cowl at this point.)

5. remove the two screws on each side of the panel (hidden under the mirrors - not the mirror clip holders.)
InstrumentPanel.jpg

6. And remove the little rubber pieces that attach from the panel to the front cowl.

7. Unplug the two connectors at the back of the instrument panel and remove and put in a safe place...don't what to be tripping over it.

That shoud expose enough for you to get to the relays.
Hey...thanks for this..I've been looking for it:)

OP
OP

Osh

Bike
2007 ST1300
Morning guys - sorry i haven't checked in on this thread for some time - had a project go pear-shaped over the past month!

SuperSabre - that is BRILLIANT! You have a PM m8!! :bow1:

That's a task for the next weekend. :headbang:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Morning guys - sorry i haven't checked in on this thread for some time - had a project go pear-shaped over the past month!

SuperSabre - that is BRILLIANT! You have a PM m8!! :bow1:

That's a task for the next weekend. :headbang:
Let us know how it works out for you! :D

Top Bottom