Clearview Windshield for the ST1100 Update

Bike
1998 ST1100
OK, so I ordered a Clearview windshield for my 1998 ST1100 since the stock windshield funneled the air directly onto my helmet, and it was both loud and turbulent. On long rides it became very tiresome.
Let me start this discussion by saying that the new windshield has transformed the Bike. It?s significantly quieter, and less turbulent than before. The Clearview is well made (yes, it?s a piece of molded plastic, I get it), but it is optically clear with minimal distortion, nice and thick, the bolt holes lined right up, and the blacked-out section at the base fits the Bikes contours correctly. I ordered the ?large? windshield, which is 4? taller than stock. I?m 5?10?, and look over the top of the new windshield by several inches. I almost ordered the medium (3? over stock), but I?m glad I went for the larger screen. I also ordered the PRV?s (pressure reducing vents) which look just like the stock windshield vents (without the trim). I can?t say whether they make a real difference, but all-in-all, the windshield works very well, looks good, and I?m very happy with it. One other factor is that Clearview will allow you to mount the new windshield (leave the blue plastic film covering on it!) and try it out. If it doesn?t work for you, you can return it. Not too many places will still do that.
One thing I will say, however, is that if you are in a hurry for a new windshield, Clearview is probably not your best choice. My order took a month from order to delivery. Fortunately I had the time, but if I had needed one right away (like if my stock one had been damaged), I would have had to cancel the order and go elsewhere. It takes a month to get your new windshield, and that?s that??.plan accordingly.
To summarize, it?s a high quality piece that works very well, but takes a while to get. If time is not an issue, I think the Clearview is a very good buy and you?ll be very happy with it.

I have had nothing but good things to say about "Clearview". I have purchased four windshields from them and have been very pleased each and every time. Quality is top notch. Clearview normally does not "stock" shields. Each one is made up upon receiving the order. If there is a flaw... no matter how minor, they remake the shield... they refuse to send out a product that is not perfect. On a side note, if you are in a hurry and really need one for a trip or whatever, call them and check if they have a reject or return in stock... they may be able to accommodate you. I did this for a friend who needed one in a hurry, and when it arrived, you would be hard pressed to tell there was a flaw in it. Great outfit!

I bought my Clearview large last year and love it. For faster delivery and a better value I recommend considering the in-stock returns and flawed items. My experience was good in that the description was clear: the scratch was clearly described in terms of location and severity. I don't remember the terminology they used but it was described as minor so I went for it. Even when the windshield is really clean I'm hard pressed to find that scratch.

I picked up an extra large from a member here and love it also. It has the vent option that works nicely. At a buck fifteen I noticed a lot of back draft. But that may have been due to the proximity of the vehicle I was over taking. Other than that, very comfy. If you want an even quieter ride, just crouch down a little and it's very, very quiet.
Some days, the winds over twenty mph from the side get a little rough, especially when around and over taking semis. That has only happened a few times. Most ride are very comfortable.

Follow-up.....the new shield came with new screws and grommets for mounting, which was nice. I didn't know about the returns or seconds, but I had time so no big deal. If I ever need another shield though I'll be sure to ask! I can also say that the new shield has made a huge difference now that temps are in the 40's. Two thumbs up on the Clearview. Next on the agenda, a Steibel air horn, and a "Back-Off" brake light modulator going on this weekend. I'm going to make myself more noticeable to the "distracted" drivers (heh, heh)

I've had a Clearview on mine since 2003 and it's a lot better than stock. I think it's a plus 3". I wear an HJC IS-33 helmet with a retractable dark tinted shield. It is quieter with the outer faceshield up than it is with it down. I have no explanation for that.

I've had a Clearview on mine since 2003 and it's a lot better than stock. I think it's a plus 3". I wear an HJC IS-33 helmet with a retractable dark tinted shield. It is quieter with the outer faceshield up than it is with it down. I have no explanation for that.

I have a Vega Insight with the retractable sun visor. Same thing here. It's actually more quiet with the face shield up. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom