New Hondaline Model Heated Grip Set

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Got a good buy on the new honda heated grips set. This is listed for model years partial 2010 and full 2012. I have not decided to install these yet as they will conflict with my Breakaway cruise control and I would have to get a throtlemeiser or something to that effect.

I will list some differences you should know:

1. These grips are 4 3/4 long , 1/4" shorter than the stock grips at 5" on all model st1300s up to midyear 2010. Somewhere in 2010 they shortened the grips and bars I can only surmise to fit these grips. They will fit previous years but will be sort of the bar ends so you would have to make up a spacer if this gap offends you. Looks like honda uses the same grip set for a couple of bikes then you order the specific hookup kit for your bike.

2. They are 1 1/4 in diameter the same size as the stock grips. They have a nice soft rubber feel just like the stock grips.

3. They kit is nicely done with clear instructions on how to install. It plugs nicely into the quartet harness (not included). The control modul fits behind the instrument cluster so the upper cowl cover must be removed
and the left side cover to access the quartet harness.

4. On the left grip there is a lighted push button that controls the three levels. Flashing each time to indicate where you are at. With a low voltage cut off. Right grip includes the throttle cable hookup so you do not have to slip it over the existing throttle tube.

5. The grips are wired up in series.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Very slick. No cutting of plastic. Do you know the MSRP for these and the harness?

Great pics, btw! Good size... Lots of detail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Quite expensive.
<whistling Dixie> Yeow! That is on the pricey side. The Quartet harness is almost standard kit farkle-wise. At 4 3/4" long/wide that's the same as the Oxfords I think. They are quite a bit cheaper.

The light in the grip is pretty slick though. Parallel wiring would have been nice too. Do you happen to know if the Oxfords wire in parallel or series?

Thanks for all the info and the link.

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Most aftermarkets wire in parallel.

Either series or parallel heating elements can be wired into the honda controller appropriately.
The film elements (dualstar or symtech) in parallel present the same load to the controller as the honda grips in series.

I did see the (iirc dualstar) online somwhere still for around $36.

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
A brief review of this style hondaline grips.

As I stated before this grip set is meant for the 2012 and some 2010 st1300's. I fit mine on a 2004. The grips are 1/4 shorter so I had to make a little filler from an old grip to fill in the space to the bar end.

My beloved breakaway cruise control did not work with these grips because of the wire outlet on the grip, so I installed a kaoko throttle lock. Since the grips are shorter than stock and already on a throttle sleeve the kaoko spacer was short. Kaoko is sending me a longer spacer for the throttle lock to work correctly. I made my own spacer for a temp fix and which worked pretty good.

Kaoko does the job that I need it to do, a little relief now and then. Kudos on Kaoko for their quick response and service.

The kit is well thought out. Instructions take a little study. One problem is that there is very little extra wiring. So if you have a riser on, the location of the module goes above the quartet harness instead of attaching to the screen motor assembly. The wires from grip to grip are meant to go under the triple tree and attach. They now need to go on top of the triple tree to fit. Just a little extra wire would have been nice.

To use the grips, you push the button on the left grip to cycle between the three temps. there is a flashing red light on the grips to tell you what level you are at and is very easy to see. Highest is very hot although not scorching. On my recent trip in 55 degree weather, I went between 2nd level and 3rd level this worked quite well for me.

Grip size is 1 1/4, the smaller size. I thought I would not like this but after 1000 miles I liked it.

Is the hondaline kit worth the very high cost. I do not think so. I only bought this because I got a great deal on them and I could not resist the temptation to try them.

Pictures later.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Grip size is 1 1/4, the smaller size. I thought I would not like this but after 1000 miles I liked it.
Have you considered adding slip on grip covers like Grip Puppies? I've got them on my factory grips and my hands are more comfortable than without them.

Honda really prides themselves on their accessories and parts. I'll probably go with Oxford Heaterz. It looks like they have plenty of extra wiring. The odds of my finding a great deal on the Hondaline stuff are nil. And I have a riser. Still the LED on the grip is trick. Congrats on the find and thanks for the update.

Jack B

Let's Ride
Bike
2013 F6B
I got the Oxford's they are 5 inches long and work great all for $70.

Top Bottom