Counterbalance

Hi try to search the topic, however now indicated when does the counter balance should be adjusted.

Like most people experience, my stx has unusual noise coming out when on hard acceleration usually between 3k to 5k rpm.

Should I ask the counter balance?

OP
OP
When I bought my used bike, I adjusted it
Just do it.
Follow the shop manual.
You will be glad you did it.
I don't mind doing it if I am sure I know how to do it. But I'm not quite sure. Hence wanting to know if it is necessary?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Helmetbox, can you post an audio clip of the noise? Does it do it at those rpm's while sitting still?

You need a service manual...anyone posting the procedure from the service manual violates copyright laws. :) I expect that your counter-balancers do not need adjusted--but there's no reason to not make the adjustment per the service manual. Please read this thread for some insight: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?103784-st1300-counter-balancers-adjustment

OP
OP
Helmetbox, can you post an audio clip of the noise? Does it do it at those rpm's while sitting still?

You need a service manual...anyone posting the procedure from the service manual violates copyright laws. :) I expect that your counter-balancers do not need adjusted--but there's no reason to not make the adjustment per the service manual. Please read this thread for some insight: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?103784-st1300-counter-balancers-adjustment
Hi brakerboy, not too sure if it does while sitting still. Will try it out and get back to you. I have the service manual. But does don't want to adjust the counter balance if it is not necessary to further complicate other matters. The rattling sound will only come in when you accelerate the bike hard and the sound usually comes between 3 to 6k rpm.

OP
OP
You may want to try and change your fuel octane first.
Try a 92 octane or above for and tank and see if it disappears.
It might be just a ping from low octane fuel.
I am using 95. The rattling sound will coming during hard acceleration and only last between 3k to 5k rpm. Was told that it's normal.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am using 95. The rattling sound will coming during hard acceleration and only last between 3k to 5k rpm. Was told that it's normal.
Here is what Ma Honda states:
Use of lower octane gasoline can cause persistent " pinging" or " spark knock" (a loud rapping noise) which. if severe, can lead to engine damage. Light pinging experienced while operating under a heavy load, such as climbing a hill, is no cause for concern.
Let us know if the adjustments you made helped.

OP
OP
Here is what Ma Honda states:
Use of lower octane gasoline can cause persistent " pinging" or " spark knock" (a loud rapping noise) which. if severe, can lead to engine damage. Light pinging experienced while operating under a heavy load, such as climbing a hill, is no cause for concern.
Let us know if the adjustments you made helped.
Adjustment made as per manual by turning respective turn. Bike feel much smoother and the rattling sound has reduced under heavy acceleration. But still there. It's not noticeable on normal riding such heave acceleration. Said on 5 gear at the speed of 70km per hour and you throttle your bike hard, you can hear rattling sound. After adjustment the sound has been reduced but not eliminated.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Said on 5 gear at the speed of 70km per hour and you throttle your bike hard, you can hear rattling sound.
Umm.. at 44 mph (70kmh) you open the throttle full in fifth gear you are going to hear a rattle as the engine is loaded down.

This is normal. Downshift to 4th or even 3rd at that speed. Less rattle and considerably better acceleration.

OP
OP
Singapore.
Does your fuel show the RON rating as it does in the UK ? I believe USA use a different rating system.

If I use RON 95 fuel ( which I do most of the time), then in hot weather, or when I'm fully loaded, or when I accelerate really hard when the engine is hot, I get the Pinking that you describe. It has always done it from brand new. (You'll probably find me asking about it 6 years ago on this site if you looked).

If I put 98 or 97 (RON) fuel in, the bike runs much more smoothly, and there is never any pinking. But it costs more.

The label on the fuel tank says 'use RON 95 or higher'. I believe the one on the USA bike quotes a different figure for their Fuel rating system. Someone on this forum told me that. When I converted the 95 RON value to the equivalent rating used in the USA, the 95RON would have been below the minimum value that is indicated for the USA bikes. It looks like RON 95 is on the lower limit of what is OK. Like me, you may have to change your fuel to match the riding conditions. I put it in if I know I am going to tackle the alps or Pyrenees in Europe. In the UK, I occasionally give it a treat, otherwise I'm happy with 95 RON.
I see. I have no issue with those noises.. Just want to know it is common or not. Apparently another rider has confirm with me it normal.

Top Bottom