Contemplating a new ride.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have had my ST for 2 full Ohio riding seasons and have taken multiple long distance trips and am very pleased with the performance and capabilities. However this year my one riding buddy got a wing. I'll have to say I never pictured myself on any sled like a wing or Harley equivalent. Fast forward to the present and I am infatuated with the new Indian Cheiftan. Can anyone guess which option the Cheiftan has that it shares with an ST? This is what made me take a serious look at it. Electronicly adjustable windshield! For those of you who have had multiple other rides and the issues with standard shields, having an adjustable one is the best. So I guess what I'm asking is there anyone else out there dreaming about the new Indian? Or am I just a man on an retro island?

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I'm 'contemplating a new ride' (demo ride), on an Indian @ the Motorcycle Show when they make the round to Cleveland, OH, 31 Jan 14, when the Indian demo truck is supposed to be there, also.
I called Polaris and the young girl was only able to verify what I already was able to glean from the Indian web site regarding their truck tour, but after a 2nd call, I don't think there will be any riding in the dead of winter in the Great Lakes area.
But I want to hear/feel one running and may visit a dealer when the weather breaks. As I've said, I'm a firm believer in a good service manual and supposedly $150 gets one from an Indian dealership.........But I'd need to take a look at one.

I like the Vintage, in red, with the gorgeous tanned leather seat and quick change clear shield.........i.e., big shield plus shorter summer shield. I don't like the Craig Vetter style fork mounted fairing on the Chieftain.
Vetters' fairings were everywhere in the 70s/80s and changed the look of a bike TOO much for my tastes; clear shields for me, that don't dramatically change the original look.

I'm no cruiser guy by a long shot, but this Indian appears much different.....and has stirred my soul enough to check it out a little more closely.
But good side clearance is always going to be important for me in a bike and no cruiser and most tourers do not have enough for me.........as I've said many times, the ST13 is a spoiler.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indian+chieftain&client=firefox-a&hs=OGV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5G24UrTWMIyLkAe9y4GwDA&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=2347&bih=1137#q=indian chief vintage&revid=736265954&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My advice to you would be to not immediately get rid of your ST if you buy a V-Twin any brand. The engine vibration is an issue on long rides that would make you wish you still had the smoother bike again. ( I compare my '91 GoldWing & '07 ST to my '05 Shadow V-Twin a lot. If the herd gets thinned out eventually , it will be the Shadow because of it's engine/vibration mostly. )
I bought a new '08 BMW RT but did not trade in or sell off my GoldWing , fortunately, at the time. - Good move because the RT turned out to be a horrible , unreliable bike while my '91 GoldWing , even being old , was far better in every aspect except handling due to it's weight I guess. Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side - old saying again .

Last edited:
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
My local Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer is now the exclusive Indian dealer in TN. He has tempted me several times with a test ride and I may get around to riding one in the Spring but am not in the market for such a bike. Hmmm...an Indian riding an Indian might be catchy. They look awesome, appear to be well put together and are reasonably priced. They are flying out the door with over 30 sold the last time I talked to them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
However this year my one riding buddy got a wing.
I recently saw the 2014 Wing in black and it is GORGEOUS! Would I have a stable of bikes that would be one of them. I like the look of the Indians, but a big V-twin is not near enough to the top of my virtual shopping list. I do confess I also like the look of the larger H-D Sportster.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
My advice to you would be to not immediately get rid of your ST if you buy a V-Twin any brand. The engine vibration is an issue on long rides that would make you wish you still had the smoother bike again. ( I compare my '91 GoldWing & '07 ST to my '05 Shadow V-Twin a lot. If the herd gets thinned out eventually , it will be the Shadow because of it's engine/vibration mostly. )
I bought a new '08 BMW RT but did not trade in or sell off my GoldWing , fortunately, at the time. - Good move because the RT turned out to be a horrible , unreliable bike while my '91 GoldWing , even being old , was far better in every aspect except handling due to it's weight I guess. Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side - old saying again .
If you get the test ride, pay particular attention to looking into your mirrors. Do they vibrate at all and if they do, can you still recognize what they're trying to show you. It's always been one of my pet peeves with the V twins....HD being one of the worst. (still run my 83 Shadow) JMHO

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Because of the different rake/trail/wheelbase numbers of the Chieftain to the other 2 Indian models, road manners are different.
And the differences between the Vintage and Harley on the road appear minimal and more rider preference.......so no run away for Indian.
The comparison I saw should have been between the Chieftain and Harley, both tourers and not the more cruiser styled Vintage.

Last edited:
Bike
06 ST 1300
STOC #
OK, after 8 years on the ST I'm thinking about going to the Dark Side.
I've been looking at the new Chieftain. Wow, all three of the new Indians are Beautiful.
But the Chieftain has it all. Including heated seat and grips and Adjustable windshield ! and very nice fit and finish. And comfortable
It will be a nice compliment to my '41 Indian .
I'm kind of serious about this (Scary). I've posted My ST in the for sale area :(

Last edited:

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Sat on a Chieftan at a bike show not too long ago. Although it looks very nice, I found it a bit small for my 6' height. If you're slightly shorter, it'll be great. If you're taller, have a look at the Victory Vision. I've been riding the slightly roomier Vision for two years, no regrets. The Indian engine, however, is sweet. As for V-twin vibration - never a bother. Rather, I've always enjoyed the muted rumble of my twins; the Vision, the Honda Varadero, the Tuono, the Guzzi.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Once you have experienced a sport tourer it would be tough to return to a cruiser unless height was an issue.IMHO

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gpracer
Bike
2005 ST1300
I would agree that it's difficult to "cruise" when you are used to diving into corners and that awesome feeling of hard acceleration out of a corner. With that said, there is feeling of nostalgia when looking at that Indian. I've owned 2 Harleys and I never really fit into that crowd well. I got a feeling these Indians are going to be different. As long as the Chieftain performs lime the reviews claim I can give up some lean angle for some extra comfort and ride a piece of history (sort of).

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
I have been very pleased with the build quality and design of POLARIS... assembled in IOWA/Wisconsin. I have a 2009 Victory Vegas 8-BALL that has only been to the independent shop for tires. Change oil like a car (One place - not three). Gears rather than chains inside the engine/trans etc.

:cool:

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
If you get the test ride, pay particular attention to looking into your mirrors. Do they vibrate at all and if they do, can you still recognize what they're trying to show you. It's always been one of my pet peeves with the V twins....HD being one of the worst. (still run my 83 Shadow) JMHO
Clear mirrors are over-rated. Do you really need to know if its a Mack or Freightliner that's going to run over you?:D

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Heck, I like the vibes my Harley produces. Once you get moving there really isn't much vibration, especially at highway cruising speeds. Of course you can't really see anything in the mirrors at idle--a Smart and an 18 wheeler look the same, but I don't look in my mirrors much at idle. My Sportster was dead calm at 2500 rpm which was 70 mph and the Dyna does the same thing at 2800 rpm which is also, coincidently, 70 mph. I've taken several longish trips on the Harley and its a different vibe, but no less pleasurable. I'd bet that the new Indian has a pretty smooth engine. I haven't read a lot about it, but it'd surprise me if it had a single pin crank which is why the Harley vibrates so much at idle. A two pin crank makes a lot smoother engine. Victory makes a very nice bike and I'll bet the Indian is made to a higher standard since it sells for a premium over Victory. And it is a beautiful bike, that engine is a piece of art.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Clear mirrors are over-rated. Do you really need to know if its a Mack or Freightliner that's going to run over you?
Probably more important to see how much of your arm shoulder hand throttle grip etc. you see in them.....I know I'm on my ST when I can see all of that......:D........ff

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
Clear mirrors are over-rated. Do you really need to know if its a Mack or Freightliner that's going to run over you?:D
Some turn you into a more compact sandwich than others. I'd prefer to stay more in the "free range" portion of the daily special. ;)

Bike
2005 ST1300
Most vibrate at idle. Not sure that idle is a good indicator. My Nomad would vibrate at idle and but was very smooth under power. The vibration did not transfer to the floorboards

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just spent 1/2 hour on a Chieftain.......wow, I never expected that level of refinement. Shifts like butter and the fueling was spot on, granted the one I rode had Indian stage one pipes and had the injection tuned. Took a while to get used to the foot placement and riding position.......my lower back was letting me have it. All that said, if I were in the market for an American cruiser this would be it. The mirrors were fine, no problem at all with vibration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom