Opinions: Michelin PR4 GTs vs Pirelli Angel GTs

Bike
Honda ST1300
I am looking at ordering a new set of tires for my St, probably around June and install late June/early July. Currently I have PR3's and I have not had a single problem with them, since they have performed better than I expected in rain, snow, ice, on gravel roads,roads with lots of tar snakes, twisty and straight roads. With pretty good wear, I have about 8000 miles and could probably get at a minimum another 3000 miles.
I owe the decision of purchasing the PR3s to this site, since without it I wouldn't have had the awesome reviews of them.

Anyways, I've read that the PR4s are a lot better than the PR3s, which is excellent. Then I saw a review of the Pirelli Angels on this site and read a review by motorrad declaring the Pirelli Angels the best sport touring tire in a comparison with five others, one of which is the PR3s. here's the link

So my dilemma, stick with Michelin and get PR4s for $380 CAD or go with Pirellis for $320 CAD. Either way I will get a set of tires that perform extremely well in wide ranging road conditions and that theoretically should last 14000+ miles. From what I've read both tires utilize the similar technology for longer life, better control in wet conditions and a smoother more stable ride.

I have no experience with Pirellis and the set of PR3's i bought were the first set of brand new tires i've had on any bike. I'm hoping there are some constructive opinions from anyone that has experience with either the Pirellis or PR4s (experience with both would be best).
My two arguments right now are:
1) go the the PR4s because you know what the PR3s are like.
2) go with the Pirellis because they are almost if not as good as the PR4s but cheaper

Thanks in advance for any help

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tire threads a lot like oil threads. Many opinions and many different skill levels, riding styles, and physical locations that influence those opinions.

A double blind tire test with objective and subjective methodology (tire temps, lap times, feel) performed by BIKE ranked the Angel GTs solid mid-pack a year ago...this test ranked PR3s top tire.

3 or 4 tests in the last two years by Motorrad and another German outfit ranked the Metzeler Z8 top of class or the #1 of compared sport touring tires....

At least you know from your experience that you have a good informed opinion of PR3s.

3 or 4 tests in the last two years by Motorrad and another German outfit ranked the Metzeler Z8 top of class or the #1 of compared sport touring tires....
At least you know from your experience that you have a good informed opinion of PR3s.
Actually, the Angel GT got the #1 spot with Motorrad's last review ... the PR3's last (oddly though, fitted to a Bandit).

The 12/2013 edition of the German magazine compared the new Pirelli Angel GT to Metzeler Roadtec Z/8 Interact M/O, Bridgestone T30, Continental Road Attack 2, Dunlop Roadsmart 2 and Michelin Pilot Road 3 .
All of the tyres, (120/70 ZR17 for the front and 180/55 ZR17 for the rear), were mounted on six Suzuki Bandit 1250 S bikes.

The Motorrad staff took into consideration evaluation parameters such as handling, steering precision, stability in turns, stability in turns with sport riding, grip in leans, traction in acceleration, stability in a straight line, performance at maximum conditions and maintaining the line while braking in turns.

Here is the final result of the comparison, which places Angel GT at the top of the list followed by Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tied with Bridgestone T30 and all the other tyres which were part of the test in fourth place:
1. Pirelli Angel GT
2. Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact
2. Bridgestone T30
4. Continental Road Attack 2
4. Dunlop Roadsmart 2
4. Michelin Pilot Road 3

..with that said, I have PR3's on the CBR1000F, which I like a lot (Dunlops came off).

When I bought the ST not long ago, it had an Avon Storm ST on the front and a RoadSmart (I, not II).
I had a catastrophic blow-out on the back, so it was time for tires.
I wanted to buy the PR4's, but the front tire always seems to be on backorder, so I went with the Angel Gt's.

I like the Angel GT's ... they heat up quick, are sticky in the corners and in the rain.
I can't say much for mileage, since I have less than 1k miles on them.
(and just yesterday, I had to order a new Angel GT (shipped today!) for the front due to a puncture).

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I ride PR3's on my FZ8 and just put the PR4 GT's on the ST last week, the decision was easy for me having loved the 3's, I love the 4's just as much, not rode in any weather yet but they sure do feel as good so far

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, there you go. From one review to the next from the same source a wide variation in results. Tires have come so far in the last few years - it's good to have so many choices that handle like sport tires and wear like touring tires.

I can tell you this one of the largest Police st1300 fleets in Ca uses Michelin PR3's because they WORK

Last edited:
Top Bottom