Crambuster or Throttle Rocker?

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
Howdy all!

Apologies first if this topic has been discussed previously, but I did search the forum and couldn't find something that would address my question.

Basically, I'm experiencing some wrist/hand (on the right hand) discomfort and that happens after long rides. I've heard about Crampbuster and Throttle Rocker, but I'm not sure which one is better? The wide Crampbuster seems that it'll take a lot of space on the grip. The Throttle Rocker seems a bit narrower. But ultimately the decision should be based on which one works better. And By the way, I'm thinking about the original Throttle Rocker as I heard that version II is not good.

Your comments or experience with any of these items are always welcomed.

Cheers,
Carlos

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I have a Throttle Rocker, not idea about which version. It is a life saver! You are welcome to take a look and/or borrow it the next time we see each other, if you haven't made a decision by that point.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Personally I think of a throttle lock to relieve your wrist. Kayoko, breakaway, throttlemister ect.

A throttle rocker hit at the wrong time could lurch your bike forward and into trouble. Not to preach, just my opinion.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I had the crampbusters on all 3 bikes but changed all 3 bikes to the "Go Cruise" Throttle control . There is a "L" -1" handlebars and a "S" - 7/8" handlebars . Like them a lot better than the crampbusters .Installation Video on: www.2wheelride.com

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ride with 2 thin crampbusters. I think they are the original version. The longer 2-1/2" one on the throttle side and the shorter 2" one on the left side.
I was experiencing pain in the right hand at the base of my thumb/ wrist.
Also put a heli riser version II and a audiovox cruise control on.
Pain eventually went away.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Google yellow cat o ring cruise control. Will cost you about .50 cents. Lots of comments on ADV rider wbout them.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have used both, can't tell much difference. Both slip occasionally. There is another one that I like, but I cannot remember the name. It was made entirely of rubber, but it was small. The nice thing about it is it never slipped.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The original Throttle Rocker is an outstanding product with an ergonomic shape superior to the Crampbuster. TR failed to protect their design in the USA and Crampbuster forced them to change to the current Velcro strap version. The original TR is a single piece of thermo plastic that can easily be adjusted while underway, not so with the TR II, a big minus IMO.

The last time I checked, the original Throttle Rocker was available in Canada, I can check my desktop for a link if anyone's interested.

I have had an original TR on my ST1100's throttle grip for 160K. Also, a TR II on the left grip since that version became available. I also have a Vista Cruise throttle lock and AudioVox cruise control installed. And I use all three on every ride, but the TR is in continuous use and considered essential. IMNSHO

John

via iPhone 4S

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Cramp Buster and throttle locks are two different things. The CB along with the strength of the return spring actually supports the wrist. A throttle lock alone won't do this. But the CB won't allow you to lock the throttle. On long rides I see the need for both. YMMV obviously.

I've used the narrow CB and like it a lot. It has never slipped and I can adjust it if necessary if my cruising speed changes. I'll try a CB on the left side on my next long ride.

I don't like Velcro much and faux-Velcro much less. I had a Velcro or Velcro-like version of the Throttle Rocker and once it started slipping it never worked properly again.

Whie at the San Mateo motorcycle show I picked up a Go Cruise. A Vista Cruise was on the list but the GC was only a few bucks more and very nicely made. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I think it will be a good match with a Cramp Buster.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Just to be clear, Throttle Rocker, Crampbuster, and similar (Wrist Rest...?) are NOT throttle locks. They allow you to rotate the throttle normally while reducing hand and wrist strain. With better control, even in the twisties. FWIW. YMMV

John

via iPhone 4S

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I just did a web search and it appears the original, non velcro, Throttle Rocker may be available in the US, J&P Cycles among others. Check with your supplier.

John

OP
OP
Cucho

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
Thank you all for your quick responses.

Yes, I know that CB and TR are just to rest your wrist so to give your hand/fingers a bit of a break. I do have a Go Cruise Throttle lock. Thought about putting an electronic cruise control but I know for sure that I can't install it by myself and not sure if the stealer will install it for me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In the long view exercising with a rubber ball or hand exerciser will build hand and wrist stamina. In the short run I found the Throttle Rocker a big help. I can't say it was better or worse than other similar products - that's just the one I bought.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Vista Cruise. It's almost invisible when installed in the down position on the 1300, and overrides like butter if you need to rolloff in a hurry.

The original Throttle Rocker is an outstanding product with an ergonomic shape superior to the Crampbuster. TR failed to protect their design in the USA and Crampbuster forced them to change to the current Velcro strap version. The original TR is a single piece of thermo plastic that can easily be adjusted while underway, not so with the TR II, a big minus IMO.

The last time I checked, the original Throttle Rocker was available in Canada, I can check my desktop for a link if anyone's interested.
Go to the Throttle Rocker website ...they still sell the original

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I had a Throttle Rocker with the velcro- wasn't a fan because of the slipping over the grip. I use a wide Crampbuster, and have stayed with that for many years and it doesn't seem to slip at all.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I've had issues with my wrists and numb fingers from a combo of arthritis and helmet pressure on my neck and a bad shoulder. I used Hunter Flat bars (shortened to take ProGrips Ralley grips ... the best grips I have found) and they were pretty good. I just went looking and Hunter seems to be out of business. I have been thinking of going back to them as I have found a good width and shape (Honda Nighthawk bend) and just need bars without the solid ends to cut and install.
For Helmet issues there seems to be little one can do outside of using the lightest one and/or giving ones neck a bit of a stretch from time to time, and the same thing for shoulder issues...move things around from time to time, best done before the numbness or pain starts.

Top Bottom