This is how I routed and finished off my trailer plug.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Interesting hitch. Without any upright supports, what kind of tongue weight can it take?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Yeah, nice hitch... must mount with more than the back muffler bolts. How long does the pig tail on the trailer have to be to allow it to pivot fully to the right?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nice looking install. Clean.

Now, can you drop the rear skirt to get to the taillight bulbs, or remove the tire?
I just wired up my trailer and might borrow an idea or two from ya.

OP
OP
LetErBuck

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The pig tail is long enough for full swing hard left and right. NO problems.
I just got back from a 1700 mile trip. The hitch works flawlessly. It is only mounted where the exhaust fastens to the frame.
I used grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts. NO issues here. It is rock solid. Fully loaded the trailer had about 200 lbs. in it. The tongue weight was at about 25 lbs. using a fish scale.
As for getting at the tail light bulbs....I never could get at them worth a damn to do any sort of maintenance/changing without a full dismantle of the rear of the bike to begin with.
As for tire changes... the only added step is to take the two bolts out holding my plug/socket to the hitch bar. After that it goes as normal. You still need to remove the exhaust and that is where my hitch bar is bolted. Simple. I am very happy with this hitch setup.

Can you please tell me where you got the hitch? I'm looking to put one on my 2004 ST1300. Thanks!

Steve

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Can you please tell me where you got the hitch?
It's a bushtec knock off, I looked in to them a while back and they said that is where they got the idea. I like a company who is honest.... By the way I took my hitch off today and found where it rubbed the final drive. I'll have to grind the hitch down some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LetErBuck

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Can you show some pic.s Dan?
I just checked mine and all looks great.
Just want to see where yours rubbed. I do have some shims in mine to keep it exactly centered.

Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
Is there a pre-made to purchase harness or are we all stuck making our own if we want to pull a trailer?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is there a pre-made to purchase harness or are we all stuck making our own if we want to pull a trailer?
Check out the sticky thread in this (Trailers) forum. Electrical Connection made a universal harness. I think they still do but not sure since I cannot look on that web site from work. There is a link to them in that thread. Even with a pre-made harness there is still some electrical connecting you would have to do as there is not a plug-n-play harness available unless you ride a Gold Wing. There are a few other sources for a universal harness. All the good ones will get power direct from the battery and only tap the bike electrical for trigger signals to avoid the nasty issue of electrical problems that can happen doing that. I made my own and posted about it in that thread. But I know how to do electrical wiring and it costs me much less doing it myself.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
Check out the sticky thread in this (Trailers) forum. Electrical Connection made a universal harness. I think they still do but not sure since I cannot look on that web site from work. There is a link to them in that thread. Even with a pre-made harness there is still some electrical connecting you would have to do as there is not a plug-n-play harness available unless you ride a Gold Wing. There are a few other sources for a universal harness. All the good ones will get power direct from the battery and only tap the bike electrical for trigger signals to avoid the nasty issue of electrical problems that can happen doing that. I made my own and posted about it in that thread. But I know how to do electrical wiring and it costs me much less doing it myself.
Good stuff..thanks for the info. I myself can do wiring, read schematics, solder, etc. I was just looking to avoid it if possible, LOL. Thanks again!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Put a wheel on the bottom of the hitch under the ball and it's dual purpose when not towing!

Top Bottom