My ST is a bad girl

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
On June 28th, I attended a free course at the OSU-OKC Precision Driving Training Center that was called their "Ready 2 Ride" course.

It was a one day course, and it was free.

I wanted to let all of the Oklahoma riders know about it. It is free.

At the end of the day, after completing exercises on braking, swerving, slow speed handling (remember "The Box?"), and receiving instruction on street riding strategies, the instructors turned us loose on their "road course", which is a two-lane road that encircles their range complex. Jump on to Google Earth and have a look....pretty much every type of turn you could think of, except any uphill/downhill turns. It is Oklahoma, after all.

We got to ride for about 2 hours total on the course, and I got to experience a side of my ST1100 that I have never seen before: The "S" side.

I typically don't lean too much when I ride, and I took this course to gain knowledge and experience in my cornering abilities. I had no idea it would be that much fun. These ST's can LEAN! I found my limits quickly, but never found hers...never scraped. And hitting the apex, then hammering the throttle...wow. That little S-curve at the south end of Peebly Road doesn't seem intimidating at ALL anymore.

More importantly, I now know where my limits are, because I got right to them quickly. I was then able to ride right up to them repeatedly, in a controlled environment.

So, the bottom line: if you're looking for a fun, safe, FREE way to spend a Saturday, while at the same time building your riding skills and knowledge, check out the free training.

Your bike may surprise you. Mine did.

She's a baaaaaad girl!

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Sounds great. A course like that would most beneficial for us all. I've leaned a little more this year. Seems like a lot, but probably have a lot more to go.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
That sounds like a really good step a bit beyond the typical MSF-type Experienced Rider Course with the actual road riding experience.

My latest training adventure was Saturday (see "What Did I Do With My ST Today" thread). Not free (but economical at $225), and not in OK (central UT), but the Utah Sportbike Assn. Advanced Rider Training (ART) class will put you a bunch past what you described in your class. I would classify this class as advanced street/beginning track riding content. It included about 1? hrs of classroom, 2? hrs of work on a small "simulated" track in a large parking lot, and about 3 hrs of work on the West Course at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, UT (SW of Salt Lake City). Well run course, excellent highly experienced instructors, and about 3 or 4 students per instructor.

I was definitely pushing myself beyond my comfort limits, but learned a bunch about "sport" riding (street or track), and importantly led me to understand (at my current experience level) what I can expect of me and the ST as far as cornering capabilities in unexpected street circumstances. Gained more confidence, in one instance proved to myself that stay steady on the throttle and keep looking where you want to go is absolutely the best way out of any tricky circumstance. Apparently it looked a bunch worse to others than it seemed to me at the time. That's another little story for another time. Did not crash, did not freak out, a very worthwhile experience, although would not recommend trying it on purpose...

Course was very worth it for me, and plan to take one again - probably next Spring.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I thought it would be a good idea to attend a training course to refresh my skills after being off of the road for a couple of years. This past weekend, I once again attended the OSU-OKC Precision Driver Training Center's "Ready 2 Ride" course. It was every bit as informative and FUN as last time.

Knowing that my ST could get pretty low in the curves on their two-lane range perimeter road without scraping anything (based on the last time I attended), I pushed myself and my machine a bit harder this time around. I was again rewarded by increased confidence and a positively entertaining day of riding in a controlled environment to learn just what my machine can do.

My two favorite parts of the range riding were:

1) The "S" curve in the lower left area of the photo...I got the ol' girl down so low that I was actually scraping the outside of my boot toes on the ground. And STILL did not scrape any bike parts!

2) The long sweeping curve at the upper right area of the photo...we ran the course both clockwise, then counter clockwise, and when we were running counter clockwise I really enjoyed coming off the apex of the last quick curve in second and running her hard up to about 6000 rpm to the braking zone for the left turn at the end of the (relatively) straightaway. She sure sounds different at that rpm!

So, lots of thanks to send out here.

I want to thank the big guy upstairs for keeping myself, the other riders who attended, and our incredible instructors safe as we learned so many valuable strategies and techniques to make ourselves safer.

I want to thank Oklahoma State University for providing such an outstanding resource to our community in the Precision Driver Training Center and their various rider training opportunities.

I want to thank Honda for building these absolutely rock-solid examples of comprehensive engineering. The fact that I was able to do what I did with my 22 year old bike that has 115K miles on it is a testament not only to their quality, but also to their love of riding as well.

I want to thank the prior owner of my ST for his vigilance and dedication to taking care of this wonderful machine. I have never owned another machine that has given me so much enjoyment and confidence.

I want to thank the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration for their efforts in enhancing rider safety through education. Because of grants awarded for this purpose, this training was absolutely free for me to attend. FREE. And there are many other agencies nationwide that have received these grants, so find one near you and go get some FREE education that will help you ride safer for FREE.

Of course, I want to thank everyone on this forum for every bit of knowledge and advice you have passed on to me over the years which has helped me keep my ST running strong. I know I will need more advice soon on something, so keep it coming!

New tires, brakes, stiffer forks, new fluids, refreshed skills......it's gonna be a great summer. :)

Top Bottom