FPR ?

I believe you're referring to a fuel pressure regulator. If so, it's a device that's installed downstream of the fuel pump. It regulates fuel pressure to the fuel rail and injectors. An ST1300 operates on 50psi of fuel pressure at the injectors.

STOC #
I can tell you from personal experience (just installed a couple a weeks ago) it makes a WORLD of difference. It took all the "twitchiness" out of the low-end so it's not jerky through curves now at the slightest touch. Thanks so much to this forum for introducing me to it! :bow1:

Bike
st1300
STOC #
F.P.R. sitting on the bench in the garage, Install held up because I decided to order new air funnel plates PT# 17254-MCS-G00 since I have had the air box off 2 other times & now don't trust the tabs that get bent over the screw heads. Plates should be in 7/5/06. Can't wait to do the install. been riding every day to burn off some fuel & so I will be able to do a better before & after comparison.

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
OK, Ive been wanting to ask, but wanted owners to get some miles on first.

You that have installed Toms FPR, have you noticed any significant diffence in milage??? (Here come the opinions...LOL)

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Probably one of the best farkle upgrades you can do. The improvement is subtle, yet always there. Installation is fairly easy and well documented on this site. Make sure to tell Turbo City Tom of any aftermarket exhausts and/or K&N air filter.

Unfortunately, you can't see it, so your friends and relatives will have nothing to be struck dumb about as to your mechanical abilities and sense of fashion like the rest of the farkles.

John

Littlejohn,

I have only had mine on a short while and have only put about 40 miles on it. All I can tell you is that the on bike computer is telling me I'm getting slightly better fuel miles/gallon than before. Normally I average 36-42 mile/gal readings. Since I've been getting more 38-45 mile/gal readings. I've never actually done the math to give you a more accurate account.

I will say this though: even if I was getting 5 miles/gallon LESS, I would still leave it on. It is a very noticeable difference in the low end throttle abruptness. I'm very happy with this mod.

Brian

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The dealer told me Honda had put an upgraded new FPR on the 2006 based on all of the owner feedback. Any truth to that?

Little John, I find consistant mpg readings difficult to come by. Wind direction, speed, throttle position............it's tough to judge. At first I thought the bike was loosing about 2 mpg with the TC regulator installed. Now I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to think it's a draw. I'm with bribak. It's worth a few less mpg to get the better driveability.

emshaferii said:
The dealer told me Honda had put an upgraded new FPR on the 2006 based on all of the owner feedback. Any truth to that?
I seriously doubt it. I have an 06 and it has a pronounced snatch and jerk during slow speed manuvering. I'll be placing my FPR order soon...

Bike
2005 ST1300
Meister said:
I seriously doubt it. I have an 06 and it has a pronounced snatch and jerk during slow speed manuvering. I'll be placing my FPR order soon...

This is the WHOLE reason why I swapped on my 05...Works very well.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Just ordered my FPR from Turbo City an hour ago along with a Heli Bar with RAM ball and RAM ball tapped mount......

Bike
2006 St1300
STOC #
Agreed

Meister said:
I have an 03 AND an 06 and they're the same. Absolutely no improvement.

JZH

International Bodger
Well, IF the FPR is a modified OEM unit, it likely was modified to allow more, not less, fuel pressure, which I would think would lead to worse gas mileage, not better (with the trade-off being better driveability). Anecdotal reports of better mileage are, well, like most other non-scientific evidence...

Ciao,

STOC #
JZH said:
Well, IF the FPR is a modified OEM unit, it likely was modified to allow more, not less, fuel pressure, which I would think would lead to worse gas mileage, not better (with the trade-off being better driveability). Anecdotal reports of better mileage are, well, like most other non-scientific evidence...

Ciao,
Yes it has an increased pressure limit. No it does not hurt fuel mileage. Well it might if your only driving in stop and go.

Reason being that the computer does not know that the fuel pressure has been increased so on off throttle your getting a slightly richer mixture. During steady state running the computer is watching the Oxygen sensor for rich or lean and is adjusting the fuel mixture.

JZH

International Bodger
That makes sense to me. I guess it's not like jetting a carburetor, then...people sometimes swap to bigger jets all around and then wonder why their mileage suffers!

Ciao,

One possible reason for getting SLIGHTLY better gas mileage with the new FPR is that it is much easier to more smoothly regulate the throttle. Wouldn't smoother throttle handling translate to better gas mileage?

Brian

Top Bottom