Gloves Aerostich Gloves

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I am in need of some new riding gloves and i am looking at the Elkskin non insulated gloves from Aerostich. My main concern is if they are true to size or does one half to go up one size? Thanks.

Bike
2006 ST
Re: Aerostich Gloves.

I am in need of some new riding gloves and i am looking at the Elkskin non insulated gloves from Aerostich. My main concern is if they are true to size or does one half to go up one size? Thanks.
I use Stitch's Elk and Deer skin gloves and find them true to size. I prefer the Deerskin for feel, get about two seasons out of them.
I certainly understand why you are asking, these days just about everything is sized screwey,,bla,,bla,,bla,,,,

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R

I've been using the Elk Ropers this past year. I sized them following the directions and they fit well. They are more comfortable than my last set of leather/carbon fiber gloves. Dexterity is better than any other summer glove I've owned. The black does bleed but washes off with regular hand soap.

Len

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

I've worn their Elkskin Ropers for over 16 years/140K. Currently on my fourth pair. Highly recommended. Unlike cowhide, they don't get stiff and hard after getting wet. In the paST I would have said the natural colored ones don't bleed but this last pair did a little. Sizing is normal but there is a helpful chart. I prefer the elkskin over the deerskin as it is thicker.

John
via iPhone 4S

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #

I love my elkskin ropers but I think they run a little large. They aren't uncomfortably large, just a bit loose, so I would not recommend going larger than the size specified on the chart.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

Mine are true to size Peter. Great gloves.

So John, how does a naturally tan elkskin glove bleed? Mine of course get discolored from wear and occassional wet, but what's to bleed?

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK

I love the Elkskin Ropers. Used the sizing guide on their site and they fit perfectly!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

.... So John, how does a naturally tan elkskin glove bleed? Mine of course get discolored from wear and occassional wet, but what's to bleed?
The dye used to give the gloves a uniform yellow color was apparently not colorfast. Noticed a bit of staining on my hands after a good rainstorm soaking. Previous, older versions didn't bleed. I'm not even sure they were dyed at all...

I'm not surprised that the black version bleeds. That was the main reason I chose the 'natural' finish. I recommend soaking and rinsing new black gloves enough times to keep them from staining your skin purple later.

John

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300

I spoke to Aerostitch this year and discussed using their sizing chart to choose a size. Their elkskin gloves fit nicely except the fingers were much too long. We tried again, and the smaller pair was now too tight and the fingers were still a bit long. Returned them for a refund. This was just my experience.

I have a pair of custom deerskin gloves that I dearly love (sorry, pun intended). They fit perfectly, are wonderfully soft and perfect in every way except for the small fact that Thurlow is out of business. If the Aerostitch gloves fit me, I'd own them in a heartbeat.

In the end, its all about fit. I've not had this problem with other manufacturer's gloves, so, like shoes, you need to try them on to find the right fit. My next pair will probably be elkskin, and custom made.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

+1 to the Ropers. I get lots of miles out of them.

Sizing is true, however over years of gripping, sun and rain exposure, they do tend to stretch a bit.

Bike
2005 Concours

I recently purchased a pair of the Elkskin Ropers, size 10. I measured and measured, just to be sure. When they got here....too big. Called and talked to the lady, and decided to drop down a whole size, based on the pinch method. So we'll see. The size 9 are "out of stock", so now I just have to wait.

This will be my first pair of the Elkskin Ropers, but BDonald always raved about how great they were. So coming from that recommendation, they've got to be good.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have been wearing these for a long, long time. The competition Elk skin Ropers have a retention strap and padded knuckles, which I find to be great upgrades. I also like them since the gauntlets are short and have minimal interference with my jackets. They run true to size and do well over a wide range of temps on a ST1300. These are my go to gloves for touring between 50 and 90 degrees F. Soft but tough, absorb sweat, and when they get nasty about once a year I just wash them in the sink, let them dry and treat with Lexol. A pair will last me about five years before needing to be replaced. in my opinion. Elk skin is superior to either cowhide or deerskin for MC gloves.

They also work fine with touchscreens, no need for the fancy fingertip upgrade.

http://www.aerostich.com/competition-elkskin-roper-gloves.html

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
These stich Ropers look really nice... you guys are gonna make me buy another pair of gloves. I've already got 4 pair on my bike!

Top Bottom