970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I just installed a new tire on my ST that I have not seen used here. It is a Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 Tire. I liked the tread pattern and that the sides of the tire is rounded at the side. I just put over 115 miles on this tire and it works well. I hope it holds up and I get lots of miles out of it, time will tell.

Here is the tire.

Dark.jpg

Dark 1.jpg

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Hmmm...
"Winter Sottozero 3 tires use an innovative compound with specialized polymers that improve the tread rubber compound’s mechanical, thermal and dynamic properties. The compound is molded into a directional pattern that features an enlarged contact patch comprised of arrow-shaped center blocks and more rounded shoulders to expel water and slush. High-density 3D sipe technology improves braking performance [...] Due to the traction capabilities of Winter Sottozero 3 tires, Pirelli recommends using them only in sets of four to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance."

Well, mounting four tires up to the bike won't be easy.

But otherwise looks good Mike. Let us know how it does. Before the summer STOC events start I will need to swap out my GYTT.

Did you take tread depth measurements to try and track wear for the mileage? I noticed no UTQG numbers were given.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well, you sure picked the right winter for this tire. If you come east, you can give it a thorough test.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Looks good Mike. I'll be needing to change my Yoko in a few thousand miles. Currently running a snow tire on my wing and I like it. Looking forward to seeing how it wears.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
1000 miles on this tire with no wear showing, it rides no different then a Bridgestone T30 or a Michelin PR3. I have two other ST's here with these tires and it rides the same as these bikes. So far very happy with this tire.

HondaDave

David Hamlin
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hi Mike,

Mounted the Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 205/50-17 and have 400 miles. No squirm in the corners like the Hankook, more round with less movement on irregular surfaces at parking lot speeds compared to the Goodyear Triple Tread.

Holds like it is on rails in the corners no movement or change in line under hard acceleration.

Superior grip on acceleration, braking, and cornering compared to the Michelin PR4GT which lasted 4600 miles.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Mike, did you have to modify the ST in any way for this tire? I saw that some tires require grinding of the swing arm to keep the tire from rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike, did you have to modify the ST in any way for this tire? I saw that some tires require grinding of the swing arm to keep the tire from rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only thing I did was sand down the rib on the right side of the swing-arm as the tire was just barley rubbing there. It did not need much to make it clear the hump that is there from the casting when the swing-arm was sections were joined.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
It did not need much to make it clear the hump that is there from the casting when the swing-arm was sections were joined.
No big deal but technically that is not where the halves of the swing arm are joined. It is what we in the trade call the "parting line" or where the two halves of the mold come together.
Aluminum die cast molds are made to allow a fair amount of the molten aluminum to escape the mold at this point to insure it flows to all areas. The "flash" is removed after the part is ejected from the mold. This is why I have said in the past that removing some of that ridge will do nothing to weaken the swing arm.

Mike

Did you not run another GYTT because of the model change or did you just want to see if the Pirelli's shape improved handling? Or did you just want to try something new. So many questions and I apologize but what was the final mile tally on the GYTT?

Last edited:
Top Bottom