ST1100/ST1100A:Two Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horns - Be Heard! Space Saver Solution

STOC #
Forum Members,

RE: Mounting two Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horns (12v, 139db) on lower forks

Hello. Here's a proven dual air horn installation solution that may be interesting to those wishing to wake up anyone distracted by any one of today's new gadgets.
This method may be especially appealing to ST1100A owners since the space under the fairing is reduced due to ABS equipment. I've been running this setup for 15k miles and it is appears solid. This solution isn't for everyone... especially the 'form over function' folks. However, when someone is merging into my lane, I prefer to be HEARD!

Two Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horns (12v, 139db)

The photographs should be self explanatory.

Ride safely and be HEARD!

David (San Diego)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Re: ST1100/ST1100A:Two Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horns - Be Heard! Space Saver Solu

Looks good!

Make sure water doesn't get into the trumpets as it'll reduce the life expectancy of the trumpets or it'll stop working just when you need it. DAMHIK

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Re: ST1100/ST1100A:Two Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horns - Be Heard! Space Saver Solu

+1 As much work as you did to mount them, I would think about seeing if you can remount them turned 180 so the trumpets are not serving as water scoops. I hate to bum you out but I think they are doomed to failure in their present orientation.

OP
OP
Splash
STOC #

JQL/BigMak96: Hello and thank you for your replies. While traveling through Wyoming last year (Sturgis), I rode through record rainfall for a very long time. I have not experience a premature failure of either trumpet. Most of my riding is in the SW USA, therefore rain is rare. If you look closely, you will notice one trumpet faces forward and the other faces rearward. The placement of the trumpets maximizes their sound, as opposed to being tucked away under the fairing. I am not on the forum very often. However, I'll provide an update if I should experience any problems or a premature failure. I've mounted an identical pair of horns under the fairing on my '96 ST1100A. Trust me, the fork mounted trumpets approach is much easier. There is very little room to work with under the fairings of an ABS model. Ride safely! David

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Great to hear you have had no issues. Now I wonder how the ones that failed were oriented.

Top Bottom