Air comprssor....What type/brand to carry on bike

Bike
2005 Concours
Question....what type or brand of air compressor would be recommended for carrying on motorcycle? Also, what type of plugs do you carry? Thanks...John/Sourkraut

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
John - I carry a cheap Walmart Slime compressor, red gummy worms(for radial tires), a tube of rubber cement, and t-handle (don't get the screw driver handles) ream and plug inserter. These have been 'field tested' numerous times! :D Also, you'll need a cigar plug on your bike or some DC power source to plug the compressor into. Also, having a pair of cheap needle nose pliers comes in handy to pull the offending object out of the tire.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I don't claim to be an expert on the matter. I just use what works for me.

The air compressor I have is made by Slime products. It's a 12 volt compressor that has a 2 wire SAE type connector. It works perfectly for connecting to the battery tender lead wire I have installed on my bike. In the off season this lead connects to the battery for charging/maintaining, or on the road to be used to power the compressor. The other nice feature is that it's sold in a convenient zippered pouch for storage, this pouch also fits nicely in the ST13's left, lockable fairing pocket, albeit snugly.

Here's a link: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Slime-Volt-Tire-Compressor/735134.uts?productVariantId=1653519&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=41-41163621-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50028714&rid=20

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Kraut,
There should be a few threads already with some of the info, I know it's been hashed a few times.

For myself, I carry a cheapo small SLIME compressor. Find it at the big blue box store for $10. Not the fastest or quietest, but it works every time and is small enough to easily tuck into the tail section under the seat.
Plugs/tools are the Slime brand also. Use the pistol grip reamer/patch inserter and a prescription med bottle holds the worms and a tube of cement.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't claim to be an expert on the matter. I just use what works for me.

The air compressor I have is made by Slime products. It's a 12 volt compressor that has a 2 wire SAE type connector. It works perfectly for connecting to the battery tender lead wire I have installed on my bike. In the off season this lead connects to the battery for charging/maintaining, or on the road to be used to power the compressor. The other nice feature is that it's sold in a convenient zippered pouch for storage, this pouch also fits nicely in the ST13's left, lockable fairing pocket, albeit snugly.

Here's a link: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Slime-Volt-Tire-Compressor/735134.uts?productVariantId=1653519&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=41-41163621-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50028714&rid=20
Funny, I have this same compressor but its got Honda logos on it. Came with the bike. I have used it 10-15 times for various reasons. Reliable and compact. The only complaint I have is its very easy to get a severe burn from touching the air outlet fitting at the compressor during use. Must get in excess of 200 degrees F.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I had a Sparrow AirMan that worked great for 12 years before it died. Used it for way more than pumping bike tires. It fit perfectly in the 1300's left fairing pocket.

The cheapo Slime compressor I replaced it with works fine except the chuck at the end of the hose is garbage. The pin that holds the thumb lever in place pops out. I've fixed it a few times already. Annoying.

I reviewed a MotoPumps mini inflator for American Motorcyclist (here) and found it great. Cheapo isn't not, but it's well designed, comes with extra ways to source power, has a built in light and some useful accessories, plus a nice case. Among the best features is the screw on no-loss bit.

Bike
2008 ST1300
The only complaint I have is its very easy to get a severe burn from touching the air outlet fitting at the compressor during use. Must get in excess of 200 degrees F.
I agree with you. It does get hot, unreasonably so. I follow the 5 minute rule, 5 minutes of running and 5 minutes of resting due to the heat. I know this makes it take longer to fill up a tire but I consider this air compressor for emergency use if stranded far from help.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The cheapo Slime compressor I replaced it with works fine except the chuck at the end of the hose is garbage. The pin that holds the thumb lever in place pops out. I've fixed it a few times already. Annoying.
Interesting... the one I have been using uses a screw-on chuck.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Another alternative is to use the air compressor you already have on the bike . . . the engine. Stop & Go has a kit that uses a device called the engine air pump, which fits into one cylinder and uses engine compression to pump CLEAN air, not fuel/air mixture, into the tire, with the engine running (on three cylinders). Takes less than a minute to pump a tire, after plugging the leak, with the other tools in their kit. Fits 1100 and 1300 models. No chance of being stranded because your Walmart compressor died just when you needed it.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I carry a 12V 'Cycle Pump' by Stop & Go, and worms and tools and cement. And also carry a mushroom plug kit (which I don't find easy to use).

Another alternative is to use the air compressor you already have on the bike . . . the engine. Stop & Go has a kit that uses a device called the engine air pump, which fits into one cylinder and uses engine compression to pump CLEAN air, not fuel/air mixture, into the tire, with the engine running (on three cylinders). Takes less than a minute to pump a tire, after plugging the leak, with the other tools in their kit. Fits 1100 and 1300 models. No chance of being stranded because your Walmart compressor died just when you needed it.
Had to look that one up: http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powered-air-pump-for-motorcycles-5-ft-hose-with-quick-release-lever/

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Question....what type or brand of air compressor would be recommended for carrying on motorcycle? Also, what type of plugs do you carry? Thanks...John/Sourkraut
Get a cheap 12v compressor with the clamp on chuck and remove the plastic cover, saves a ton of space. I have carried this on my STs for 24 years and it has saved my butt, several times.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Interesting... the one I have been using uses a screw-on chuck.
I've been looking for a short hose with a screw on chuck to replace this one. So far it'd be cheaper to replace the compressor.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
Just wondering how that works on the ST1300 when the plug boots are 2 for 1....can you get the one boot back on with the air compressor stub in there? Just curious...........ff....BTW I carry the cheap Slime pump

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Just wondering how that works on the ST1300 when the plug boots are 2 for 1....can you get the one boot back on with the air compressor stub in there? Just curious...........ff....BTW I carry the cheap Slime pump
Have the 1100 here and wasn't aware the 1300 had joined(?) boots. You can't pull one boot at a time on the 1300, say to check for spark at one plug? Stop and Go sells it for both models, so . . . ?

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I have the Slime kit, very compact and clean. Includes battery clamps if you aren't fused high enough on your cigarette outlet and a mini tire gauge.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I use the slime pump with the SAE electrical connection with a mushroom plug kit. I've had it 6+ years. Fixed two flats and keep the tire inflated with it. I don't like the cigarette lighter because my ignition must be switched on to use it, which means those lights are draining the battery. It takes a while to fill a rear tire with that pump.

OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Thanks to all for the replies. I went down to WM and got the $10.00 Slime compressor with built-in gauge. Also picked up worms & plugging tools. My only concern is the screw on fitting. Considering how fast the tire deflates, I'm worried that it will be almost flat again, by the time I get it unscrewed. I'm thinking over inflating and hope for the best.

I'm going by the old theory....better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Top Bottom