Thanks for the memories Honda ...

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
Having owned and ridden Hondas my entire life, with the exception of a brief affair with a Kawasaki Concourse 14 years ago, it is with mixed emotions that I brought home my NOS 2013 Super Tenere Saturday from a dealer near OK City. I truly enjoyed my last two Honda ST1300s for the past ten years (04 & 12) although with my bike getting stolen last May it put me in the market for replacement.

I have spent the last 10 months scouring the internet looking for my next bike. Researching different makes, models and pricing. I had two main goals, lose weight and not break the bank. I finally found a deal that I could not pass on.

Initial very short term impressions:
- the engine power characteristics of the S10 seem well suited to someone who has driven a diesel p/u truck for decades.
- finally a sixth gear, thank you Yamaha. Can't tell you how many times I tried to shift my ST1300 into sixth to no avail.
- gonna need a larger aftermarket windscreen.

In conclusion, A new Bike from a respected manufacturer, 5 year warranty, adjustable suspension, ABS, capable of two up riding for less than $10k I just had to do it.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Just got back home from a 2800 mile trip on my Tenere......yeah, I still like it.
Mike

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
Still trying to decide if I would enjoy the Tenere, trying to get ride of both the DRZ400 and the ST1300 and get a single bike.

Thought the SuperT would allow some gravel and dirt and also be a little better than the DRZ on the commute (via superslab).

Will I be happy with a 2013 Super Tenere, I guess I won't know until I try.

Everyone else who has made the switch seems to be content. :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I can't speak for the DRZ... but Tenere vs ST ... well it's not like apples and oranges, more like red delicious vs granny smith.. They are both great but depending on your preference one may be sweeter and one more hardy.. and it's a draw to me... I wish I could have kept the ST and have both bikes but too much to deal with for me.

There was a dealer buy special at a PA dealer recently that had 14 2013s for 8199 which is a stupid price, I didn't see it fast enough to post here sorry, but maybe they'll try again... http://www.montgomeryvillecc.com/

I need to buy some lotto tickets so I can actually ride mine.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Congrats on the great deal! I picked up a 2015 Super-T ES in late June and just turned 7,000 miles on it. Flawless so far. I took it to WeSTOC in Spokane Valley, WA last month as my ST is a bit under the weather. That trip put 3600 miles on it. I found it to be surprisingly capable and comfortable as a sport tourer, the smoothness at highway speed is pretty amazing for a big twin. I still have my '05 ST1300 which I eventually hope to fix and return to service (see thread "Ignition problem?"). I've heard that upgrading the clutch basket, cam chain tensioner and re-flashing the ECM are great improvements for the pre '14 models. Yamaha has addressed all those areas with the later models. I may explore some dirt/gravel roads but not plans for hard core trail riding, it's just too big and needs more dirt oriented tires for that. The long travel suspension is nice when exploring secondary and unmaintained roads.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I'm also a current ST rider who is, uummmmmmmmm, 'Super-Tenere-curious' ..... let us know the name of that dealer!!!!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I almost bought a 2015 Super Tenere ES last month. If you are thinking about one, go ride one. It is one fine machine. I bought a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCX instead. It just fit better for what I wanted for a second bike better. I hope I did not make a mistake. If I could only have one bike, the Super Tenere would have been my choice over the Tiger. I traded in a BMW G650GS for the Tiger. And I am probably going to sell my DR650. Still have the trusty 07 ST in the stable. It's not going anywhere just yet.
Did you buy your bike at Seahorn Yamaha in Shawnee, Ok.? Very nice people there.

OP
OP
Cunados

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
Seahorn Yamaha it was.

After 4+ months and 4,000 miles of riding I am pleasantly surprised. I purchased an "adventure style bike" with no real intentions of ever leaving the pavement. Living in Arkansas and owning a Super Tenere has changed everything. I/we have ridden extensively on forest/fire/country roads in the area. Last week we left pavement just west of Little Rock and road west to Mena on forest/fire/country roads with brief jaunts on paved surfaces. I am changing the tires today so that I can ride more challenging paths with greater confidence in the future.

Yamaha has met and/or exceeded my expectations. The only drawback thus far is picking up such a large bike when ever it decides to take a nap. Given my new interest in off road riding I will be interested to visit a Honda dealer next spring when the Africa Twins arrive on the dealer showroom floors.

Top Bottom