Help with decision-Heat Concern

Hello All!
I don't post too much here but I do read the forum frequently. So I'm in the market for my next bike and am seriously considering an ST. Now keep in mind I live in the Phoenix metro area so one of my concerns is heat. In the past 8 years since I've lived here in Phoenix I've owned three bikes, a Harley Road King and two BMW R1200RT's. The Road King, while nice I would never go back too or any Harley for that matter. The heat that came off of that thing was brutal. The BMW's were great bikes but I can't justify spending that kind of money again. I'm looking for something to get around town on and take weekend trips.

The ST1300's hold there value well compared to other bikes and the cost of operation is not bad. I'm also looking at the Concours 14. Is there anyone in Phoenix or other hot dry climates that can give some insight with regard to the heat issue? I can find later model ST's for relativity cheap money compared to other brands.

Thanks all!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I love my ST 1300 but if I lived in hot climate I would buy something else. Some have not had issues, others say mods or type of oil help. I have not tried them.

The C14 also had heat issues prior to 2010.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Alright, I haven't lived in the SW in a very long time. However, I have ridden many days and more miles in desert areas and heat; although, not 100+degrees. I can say that the ST1300 puts out heat that is especially noticeable (and can be quite hot) when I don't wear my protective pants. When I am wearing my protective gear I have not noticed any onerous heat from the bike while moving, and what heat there is while stopped is tolerable. Having said that, if you liked the lack of heat on the R1200RT, the ST1300 is not going to impress you, especially if you're going to be riding in town in the summer. I think I'd look elsewhere.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Hello All!
I don't post too much here but I do read the forum frequently. So I'm in the market for my next bike and am seriously considering an ST. Now keep in mind I live in the Phoenix metro area so one of my concerns is heat. In the past 8 years since I've lived here in Phoenix I've owned three bikes, a Harley Road King and two BMW R1200RT's. The Road King, while nice I would never go back too or any Harley for that matter. The heat that came off of that thing was brutal. The BMW's were great bikes but I can't justify spending that kind of money again. I'm looking for something to get around town on and take weekend trips.

The ST1300's hold there value well compared to other bikes and the cost of operation is not bad. I'm also looking at the Concours 14. Is there anyone in Phoenix or other hot dry climates that can give some insight with regard to the heat issue? I can find later model ST's for relativity cheap money compared to other brands.

Thanks all!
The ST puts out heat, yes sir. Some bikes put out less, some put out more. They are all motorcycles and the things are gonna put out heat, unless you get one of those new fangled electrical jobs.

My air cooled bikes put out way more engine/exhaust heat than my ST does. Even my VFR put out more than the ST. My KLR, way less.

I rode my ST through AZ in 110+ temps and the bike and I did just fine. I had on a cooling vest under a mesh outfit, which is a great combo to have in that dry heat. My ST has mylar bubble wrap insulating the area between the frame and the seat, that really helps.

Don't let the heat issue deter you from a ST, there are lots of fixes on this forum. A great "get out of town" bike. I think it is too big for around town, the KLR is perfect for that.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, we have this section especially to address heat related issues.

Some bikes like the C10 and FRJ were changed to address the heat issue, I don't know of all the changes.

That being said, all these big powerful bikes have some heat coming from the motor, exhaust and radiator areas.

These bikes also have full fairings so times when you are just sitting at a light, the heat can't get out other than just collecting in the fairing until that's full and then escaping via any path of least resistance. Some fairings handle this better, some don't. Some bikes like the RT handle this better as the heads are exposed. The Wings I've had were hot due to not much air getting to the rider but I almost never felt actual engine heat on them, the ST you will. Even the Super Tenere with little fairing will push heat up your way.

We have a lot of ST1100 and ST1300 owners in AZ so if it is bad, it's probably just par for this type of bike in that type of environment.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
My third generation FJR (2013 and newer) has much less heat on ME than my ST1300 had.....go test ride one....plus it's a hundred pounds lighter and easier for in town riding........ff

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I live in Florida and have had two ST1300s. One with heat mods the other without. I can't honestly say I could tell any difference. I think it boils down to the individual. If you are hot natured I don't think it is the bike for you. Some people aren't bothered by heat, I'm not one of those lucky ones. Come on winter.

RCS

I have ridden the ST1300 on 600 mile trips in 100 degree F weather. Through construction areas on the highway when it was slow and stop and go the ST1300 put out a good amount of heat but the ground also radiated a tremendous amount of heat.

My opinion is that the ST1300 is the ideal motorcycle for longer trips - over 150 miles. In town and short weekend trips you can get away with a smaller displacement motorcycle that will not generate as much heat in stop and go operations.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I live in Central Texas and experience 100+ temps every summer. Not as many as AZ. There is heat from the ST but I don't find it onerous while moving. What I do find onerous is the heat reflected from the pavement combined with the that from the ST when I come to a stop. Every motorcycle will have this combination in high temps. Drink lots'a water.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
I live in Wisconsin. Had the bike 3 weeks. Notice the heat right away. Do the mods http://www.donferrario.com/St1300. It has really helped. The frame still gets warm but not like before. It is great bike. Of course, I have to justify my purchase. Just look at what the bikes are going for with over 120,000 miles on them. That should tell you enough. It sold me.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You hear a LOT more heat issue complaints about the 1300, no matter where the bike lives, than you ever will about the 1100. There was something that Honda did, or didn't do on the 1300, that changed the flow of hot air, which can blow a lot onto your legs and, having a real fuel tank that heats up incredibly warm right at your crotch is no help either. My ST1100 has never given me heat issues, whether I am here at home or down in Death Valley territory. I suggest you look for a nice used ST1100.

OP
OP
True. In AZ it's already 100 degrees out and it will be over 100 degrees everyday until maybe late September early October. The reflected heat is always a killer here. Luckily I'm waiting until the end of summer to make my decision.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had read this thread, and didn't say anything, but yesterday, wife and I rode to Calhoun, GA, a distance of about 50 miles, the way we went. We took all backroads, and were moving pretty quickly, for the most part. The heat from the bike didn't really start to become bad 'til the trip back, where it was obvious I'm going to have to do something, perhaps some deflectors, or something of the sort, to get heat away from us both. Even my wife noticed it, sitting on back. We both had on mesh gear, which, admittedly, does allow the heat to get in easier, but the amount of heat even while underway was pretty stifling. My shorts, worn underneath mesh Olympia pants , were pretty wet by the time I got home. Time to do some modifying!

Keep in mind that our summer months are very humid, and dry heat might affect one differently.

OP
OP
I ended up buying a 2010 Concours 14 that was all farkled out. The previous owner put everything on it and traded it in for an Indian of all things.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've had my 2010 ST for two years now. The heat has not been an issue until I did OH-STOC. Neither the ride down nor the ride home (200 and a few miles) were a problem, and I was doing maybe 60 miles on the interstate going, the balance on smaller state routes, and probably 40 to 50 on the state routes going home. Riding my ST in top gear at speeds of 50 or over seems to take care of all the heat problems, and I've done a few one day 500 mile trips as well with no heat felt. However, at OH-STOC we did a 175 mile ride on twisty county and state routes. I was following a few very good riders, and riding close to my limits in 3rd, 4th (quite a lot) and 5th (some) gears. I was accelerating on the straights and braking for curves. It was 91 deg outside, and the bike got pretty hot. I felt the heat only occasionally while moving, but the tank was surprisingly warm to the touch, and the fairing 'ledge' in front of my knee and shin was hot (almost painful) down low near the tip over guards. Whenever I stopped it was very clear the bike had been working hard. The engine temp never budged off 3 bars. I checked a couple of other bikes and they were also as warm in the same locations as mine.

My bike has the optional rubber wind deflector kit - and that did not seem to make any difference when I did my hand touch test on my and other bikes. Other than needing a mesh jacket and/or one of those water cooled vests, it was bearable. But the heat was evident when I slowed and stopped. Stop and go traffic would have been brutal after this ride. My Guzzi's also threw off a lot of heat - trying to get around Toronto's airport (that route is laughingly called a road - it is really a linear parking lot) was brutal in August. And I remember baking on my Guzzi in Daytona at bike week once - also stop and go.

I think a large part of the heat problem is due to the speed of air over the bike.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I live in TN where the heat index routinely gets over 100 degrees. Wet heat, like GA. Try insulating the underside of the seat with Mylar reflective bubble wrap. This has been my fix, and it has been there for years. It really helps with the heat on your backside and crotch. Beware, this stuff conducts electricity. It can be ordered off the net.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
My third generation FJR (2013 and newer) has much less heat on ME than my ST1300 had.....go test ride one....plus it's a hundred pounds lighter and easier for in town riding........ff
+1 as I have a 2015 FJR and not had any heat issues in Tenn. riding in mid 90's temps. Will say that my ST was one that did have a heat issue. Not all do though.

Top Bottom