So much for "slow and ill-handling"...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
OK, not your typical Harley.

I just finished some more modifications on the XR1200X.

Not as comfy for touring as my ST, but crazy stupid fun every now and then.

Moore Speed Fairing 002 (Medium).jpg

Moore Speed Fairing 003 (Medium).jpg

Yeah, I need to put away tools and clean up the shop...

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I test rode a couple of those bikes and really liked them ,kinda like a big dirtbike . Just wondered what mods you have done other than what the pics show .

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Looks a bit on the Buel-line (IIRC the only HD-engine with correct ignition timing ;-) )... does it perform like one?

OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I test rode a couple of those bikes and really liked them ,kinda like a big dirtbike . Just wondered what mods you have done other than what the pics show .
Modifications include:

The engine is stock, with the exception of a Torque Hammer 2 exhaust & and a Free Spirits intake. A Twin MC valve cover breather catch can replaces the lines that previously fed into the OEM airbox. The ECM was reflashed with a TTS tuner during dyno tuning. (The stock XR engine differs from other 1200 Sportsters in that the heads are oil cooled, higher lift cams are fitted, and the primary drive ratio is slightly lower.)

The 18” front and 17” rear cast wheels have been replaced with PVM forged aluminum wheels (17” front and rear) with Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires. The XR1200X suspension has been replaced with Albins/GP cartridges in the front fork tubes and Nitron Race Twin rear shock absorbers. The rear shocks are 1 1/2” longer than stock, to increase cornering clearance while decreasing rake.

Galfer stainless steel brake lines, front and rear, replace the OEM rubber lines. The brake pedal and stock shift linkage were replaced with a Mr. H modified brake pedal and a Sato shifter. The pillion pegs were removed, and the rider pegs replaced with Knight 1” lowered footpegs. HD Nightrod bars, shortened clutch and throttle cables replaced the stock items, along with a Mueller clutch ramp.

Bodywork modifications include a Moore Speed cafe fairing, a Vance & Hines front fender (to accommodate the 17” wheel,) a Vance & Hines belly pan, and a HD rear cowl (replacing the pillion seat.)

R&G front and rear axle sliders and swingarm spools provide a little protection for the front and rear wheels and brake calipers, and allow use of a rear pit stand (there's no centerstand on the XR.) There's also an EvoTech oil cooler protector.

An HD Daymaker LED headlamp provides some additional illumination, and a Powerlet frame mounted receptacle allows connection to a battery tender. The AGM battery was replaced with an Earth-X lithium-iron phosphate battery.

This bike is one of 250 manufactured for sale in the domestic market in 2012, the year U.S. production ceased. In its current trim, this bike is more than fifty pounds lighter than stock.

OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Should be a bit quicker now...

Completion of my winter project got pushed into late summer; just a lot of other stuff to do...

Desmo Steve and I finished the engine modifications on the XR1200X tonight. Hotter cams (higher lift and greater duration,) 1250cc cylinders with thirty degree reverse dome pistons, modified heads with larger valves. The local dyno guy is working on a new ECM map for break-in, and will dyno tune the engine after 500 or so break-in miles. I'm hoping to pick up an additional dozen or so horsepower.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Re: Should be a bit quicker now...

I would be more than willing to put that 500 miles on it for you Rodger. I still want one of those bikes. Probably the only Harley that I would ever want.

OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The Hundred Horsepower Sportster

Well, actually 104.6 horsepower. Torque is up to 87.79.

Just got the XR1200X back from the dyno shop. The new 1250cc cylinders and pistons, cams, and heads gained me about sixteen horsepower and twelve lb/ft of torque.

It still runs smoothly, and I've left the decibel killer insert in the exhaust (gotta stay civilized...)

With the rev limiter set to 7200, it's only good for about 130mph. (Maybe I can talk Keith into checking that out...) It's strong enough to pull higher gears, but I'll probably leave it as for now.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Re: The Hundred Horsepower Sportster

Well, actually 104.6 horsepower. Torque is up to 87.79.

Just got the XR1200X back from the dyno shop. The new 1250cc cylinders and pistons, cams, and heads gained me about sixteen horsepower and twelve lb/ft of torque.

It still runs smoothly, and I've left the decibel killer insert in the exhaust (gotta stay civilized...)

With the rev limiter set to 7200, it's only good for about 130mph. (Maybe I can talk Keith into checking that out...) It's strong enough to pull higher gears, but I'll probably leave it as for now.
I will be off for 21 days starting in the morning. I would be more than willing to test it out for you Rodger! :D

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I just love it when a man's lift table looks like mine. Sooner or later you just have to stop and put everything up and start over.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've been in love with every Honda I've ever owned but... There is nothing like riding a big twin motor. Even when not kitted for acceleration and top end I love the sound and fury of torque. The biggest twins I've ridden aren't all that big— a 750 Duc Sport and an 883 H-D.

Neither are in the class of the OP's ride (which would probably have me experiencing the Suicide Grip). Very nice!

Bike
1991 ST1100
I love Hondas. Especially Honda 4-cylinders whether inline or V.

But there's something to be said for a big Harley twin that's been worked over. I have a '96 XL1200 that's been mercilessly chopped to under 400 lbs wet. Thing is fun as hell to ride, handles beautifully. Sure, there are 4-bangers that are lighter and have more HP. I'm not positioning it as the be-all-end-all. But there's something magical about that kick-in-the-butt torque combined with a light, nimble bike that just screams "FUN!"

Top Bottom