Engine heat

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Other manufacturers aren't sitting on this motor.

The longitudinal V in the ST puts the exhaust headers less than six inches from your shins. With outside air being forced in through the front, the only way for it to go from there is back, bringing the heat with it. They'd have to stretch the chassis a half inch or so to put metal heat deflectors in the back of the fairing, and that would add more weight to the whole package. We love engine in this bike but there are trade-offs in everything, which in this case is heat. I ride in a full suit and tall boots, so there are probably enough layers in play that I don't notice the heat very often. I did notice it more when I rode in jeans.

Other bikes in this segment either have their heads and exhaust out in the open air (R12RT) or have transverse, inline engines that put the hot side away from the rider (FJR, Conk, K16GT). With the exhaust manifold up front, the block and heads, which are being kept at a reasonable temperature by the cooling system, act as an insulator and air deflector that makes the exhaust heat easier to get rid of without as much of it reaching the rider.

--Mark
Thank you for that explanation. Why is this bike not being produced in the U.S. anymore but is in Europe?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Anyone tried header wrapping? It looks unattractive, and is usually installed to conceal rusty headers. But on a fully faired bike?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Anyone tried header wrapping? It looks unattractive, and is usually installed to conceal rusty headers. But on a fully faired bike?
My headers were wrapped by PO, doesn't help.

I also did the don Ferrario project, maybe it helped a little.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
What is a tiger?
St Gui is correct. Triumph Tiger 800XC. I never could get the ST to not be hot here in Florida summer, March-October/November. It never bothered me in the mountains. The Tiger is still hot when sitting still in traffic when the fan comes on.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Why is this bike not being produced in the U.S. anymore but is in Europe?
The simple answer is that they're not selling here. Honda and its dealers have enough unsold inventory that importing new model years isn't worth the expense. Part of it is probably because almost everyone who wanted a new one has already bought one. The model hasn't seen any major updates, which turns off anyone who's after the new shiny. It also doesn't help that these bikes last a good while, which means the ones on the used market are a good bargain.

I wish I had some insight into how STs sell in Europe, but so far I haven't been able to get any despite a lot of trying.

--Mark

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Better yet.........Getcha a pair of asbestos panties.......LOL
Not so far fetched. AJS offered asbestos chaps as an option on new twins in the early 1960's (right before they went under). Management thought it was less expensive than fixing the chronic oil leaks from the top end...which sometimes lead to fires.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I recently added the baker air wings. Vast improvement in heat mgmt. Plus it helps keep you warm when you "close" the air wings in winter.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I fixed my by syncing the throttle bodies. My #3 cylinder was 5-8cm low and was causing that cylinder to run very lean and hot. Synced the throttle bodies and the excessive heat went away. Now there may be nay-sayers that claim this doesn't make a difference but it was night and day with my bike. I'm thinking about reinstalling my inner cowls. +1 on the baker air wings. Now they make my legs cold.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I wrapped the header pipes with 2" fiberglass exhaust wrap (50'), including the crossover section in the center ($30 or so at O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, etc.) You have to remove the plastics, and it takes 2-3 hours. It will smoke for a while and smell bad for a bit. The engine seems to warm up faster.

Install the fairing deflectors, too.

Top Bottom