Did not expect BT-45

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had a BT-45 rear mounted up and it's been wotking good on the front. I know that some eill fault me for running a rear on the front, buy I don't think that would cause this problem.

Been having a slow leak, probably a pound or less per day. But slow and steady. Really became evident on the thousand plus miles out to Ouray. I figured I had s small nail and it pretty much sealed the hole. I crossed my fingers I would get home from Rocky SToc without issue. I did.

So home and with some time, I tried the soap water while the tire was still on the bike, no joy. Nothing bubbling, nothing visible. Pulled the fender and put the soap on again from the top, still nothing.

I pulled out the big Coleman cooler and filled it with water. Time to dunk test.

Nothing! Dang it!!!

Slow and steady I tried the third time. Let the tire sit fir a few minutes. Use a flashlight to highlight the water.

Pump the air pressure up to 50psi and try again.
Finally I see a few little bubbles, seems like coming from the edge. Sure... they didn't clean the rim good. I'm not surprised. Grab a sharpie and mark the rim. I'll bust the bead and clean it myself.

But as I finish checking the whole tire, I notice the bubbles are not just at the rim. They are from the sidewall. Huh?
20150721_194002.jpg20150721_194420.jpeg

https://youtu.be/9sp8XeQRp0A

https://youtu.be/Pi6ADerGWmY

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My brother had a BT-45 where the sidewalls on both sides cracked real bad, the tire had tons of rubber left on it. I replaced it for him.

had this happen on scag low pressure zero turn mower tires like the air was seeping through the rubber at the size embossing, put some ride on in each tire holding air since, go figure I guess it happens

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
like the air was seeping through the rubber at the size embossing, put some ride on in each tire holding air since
Did you actually see a leak coming or just figured the slow seepage was through the carcas.

Either way... I'm not a ride on / Slime type of person. Plus I think this spot is too high up the sidewall to be ever covered by the liquid during rotation. And I woudl be more worried that if the tire is that thin at the point, what is stopping it from cracking and blowing out more.

I'd have to get back with Bridgestone and show them the video and ask for a new tire...
I contacted the shop I go the tire from and they also did the install. He's a one-man show these days so not answering the phone. But I'll try and run a warranty claim through him, if no luck I might go direct to Bridgestone. Mount the tire and clean the rim myself.

Did you actually see a leak coming
saw it

same scenario as you, both tires going flat could not find the leak, broke down the bead, cleaned sealed with rtv (this is a lawnmower tire just an annoyance not a safety issue) still leaking from one mowing to another gave them a bath and spray with soapy water and was dumbfounded when I discovered the heartache on both tires in the same place. I am not a slime person either but had some ride on hand so why not, on a bike tire would change it out and eat the cost much to my chagrin .

Top Bottom