Cushion for Keys

Bike
2010 ST1300
I carry two keys on a loop of string - the bike's ignition and Bestem topbox keys. Sometimes the topbox key will flap against the tank, especially when getting gas.

Does anyone know of a self adhesive rubber pad that I can cut to fit the head of the key to give it some padding? Maybe a thin neoprene like used in wetsuits? (I could use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to attach it.)

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Have you thought about using a key ring to keep the Bestem key away from the tank? That's what I use and have never had a problem, as my trunk key is much shorter than the ignition key. Also, they sell rubber rings with a slot for the key shaft that fit around the key head. I see them in hardware stores, but maybe check a locksmith shop for all the latest key related accessories

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I use a plastic fob with a standard split ring to hold both keys. The metal split ring has large enough cross sectional diameter that the keys are not free to 'flop' around.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What about the rest of the key besides the head? Doesn't it hit the tank?

I carry two key rings when I have the top case on. One more to keep up with but no scratches on the tank or the ignition switch surround :)

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
:worthless

Here are the pics of my keys in the tank and my house key with the head protector I mentioned in an earlier post.
Tank_keys.jpgKey_protector.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have a leather fob that had screw pins each end to anchor a key each end. The keys would flip out pocket knife style when needed for use. The leather fob cushioned the unused key to prevent scratches. I think I will start looking for one again. :think1:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Her is my proto type of a pocket knife version. Made it as small a profile as possible. Now it's too small and key gets lost in my pocket. Next version I will leave the key heads whole.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
i have shorter cut ignition copies in my tank bags and side front pocket so I use 1 of those and never remove my ignition key, for refueling

I saw this idea on another bike years ago, and copied it for one of my sets of keys: a cable tie securing the two keys tight together so that the key that's not in the lock cannot pivot and hit the tank or the ignition switch surround.
Keys.JPG
I also use a synthetic cork over the key not in use. In the photo above, it's on the ignition key to remind me to remove the disc lock first. When I have removed the disc lock, I switch the cork to the disc lock key, then I can put the ignition key in the switch.

Another alternative, if you know someone in healthcare, is to obtain the vinyl tip protectors used on forceps and other medical instruments, to prevent them from puncturing their wrapper during transport and handling. Some of these tip protectors fit nicely over keys...

Bike
07 ST1300
I just use a single ignition key with a soft leather fob. My top case key goes in the right glove box with a spare taped in the usual place and a spare ignition key taped in the other usual place. I never could stand keys flopping around scratching things up. House/work keys go in a glove box as well.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you all. I like the two keys fastened together, the cork and the leather fob. I've discovered that posting something here not only forces me to think about the problem but I get to evaluate everyone else's ideas in light of how I would use them.

My solution now is to take a piece of leather (fob) and, with a through screw, fasten key, leather, key together. Purpose of the leather is simply to give the key's a nice feel - something more than just metal keys screwed together. I make one and see how this works.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My solution to this is very simple. There are no other keys on the key ring with my ignition key. I also leave my "naked and alone" trunk key (not on a key ring) in the trunk all the time except when the bike is parked anywhere besides my garage. With the trunk key in my Givi case, it can't fall out when it's turned toward the unlocked position. When I park, I lock the ignition key in the trunk and put the trunk key in my pocket (except for the rare occasions when I absent mindedly put both keys in my pocket).

(Edit) Added note: When I sold my Suzuki GS850 a few decades ago, I had discovered that the ignition key could be removed when it was turned on and the bike running. That was never an issue for me, as it never caused me any problem, and I didn't think to mention it to the fellow employee where I worked before he bought the bike and rode it home. He put the key on a key ring or chain that had his house key, office key (and likely more than that) and rode home. When he arrived home he discovered all his keys were missing - they had bounced out of the ignition lock cylinder somewhere along the way and were laying in the road or in a ditch. I don't know how he shut the bike off as I never asked, but I assume he was clever enough to somehow remove the side cover hiding the fuse block without raising the seat, then find the main fuse to disconnect everything electrical.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I just put a split ring on every key, put the whole lot on a carabiner, pull off only the one I'm using and pocket the rest.

--Mark

I didn't like the $32 price for a leather key holder on the Amazing web. So this is my prototype from a salvaged leather glove and a couple pop-rivets.
2015-10-12 20.08.05.jpgSalvage a roughly 3x3 piece of leather. 2015-10-12 20.07.32.jpgA couple long pop-rivets and washers.

Key Holder.jpgAnd the end product for pennys.
Note- shim the keys with something thin that can be slid out after riveting the keys, to provide a lose fit and pivot to the keys.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I leave my ignition key solo. My trunk key, house key, and pad lock key that fits the garage and my locker at work on a key ring in my pocket. Extra trunk key is in the RH pocket on the bike. Extra ignition key is in my dresser at home.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I leave my ignition key solo. My trunk key, house key, and pad lock key that fits the garage and my locker at work on a key ring in my pocket. Extra trunk key is in the RH pocket on the bike. Extra ignition key is in my dresser at home.
I hope you have another ignition key with you on the bike. You will need 2 keys if you ever have to jump start the bike.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I hope you have another ignition key with you on the bike. You will need 2 keys if you ever have to jump start the bike.
umm, what? why would you need two keys?

Note I have an extra key with me at all times. And, I now don't use my bike to jump anyone, my brother (Owner of D&D Automotive in Waukesha, WI) sent me a jump pack about the size of my phone but twice as thick.

Top Bottom