Traded 2013 FJR1300 for a 2014 ST1300

Why you say? Well I will try to explain. Had a ST1300 before and liked it but when the FJR came out with all the goodies plus Cruise Control and was $3000.00 cheaper than the ST I had to jump.
Had the FJR for two years and loved the cruise but didn't like Yamaha only giving me 1 year warranty while the ST starts with 3 years. The bike is fast, very fast and was my 32nd bike. This summer the sidestand switch started to stay
closed and would not let me put it in gear. An easy fix with a cleaning and lubing but what the heck! This style switch has been around forever and was sticking back then so why not a new model. I then lightly bumped the bottom of the fairing nose getting the FJR into my basement. Thought nothing of it till I was on my back cleaning and the fairing felt loose. Three flimsy brackets were broke off on the inside. They were paper thin and cheap looking. The FJR is chalked full of electrics controlling everything which is great but what if like the sidestand something pooches out!$$$$
I started looking at friends ST's even though dated is still great looking and never felt cheap.
Sooooooo when my Yamaha dealer got in a 2014 ST with very low mileage it caught my eye. Previous owner traded the ST in on a Harley . Then the dealer put a reasonable price on the ST and gave me a good price on the FJR.
Deal done. Didn't get a chance to ride it much before putting into basement but it just feels better quality and I have two years left on the warranty. A lot of people think the ST is boring because it does everything well. Me for one likes boring. Turn the key, go for a ride, repeat.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Great!!!! I love a happy story and you just explained why I bought an ST While considering an FJR--the ST is made better.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Why you say? Well I will try to explain. Had a ST1300 before and liked it but when the FJR came out with all the goodies plus Cruise Control and was $3000.00 cheaper than the ST I had to jump.
Had the FJR for two years and loved the cruise but didn't like Yamaha only giving me 1 year warranty while the ST starts with 3 years. The bike is fast, very fast and was my 32nd bike. This summer the sidestand switch started to stay
closed and would not let me put it in gear. An easy fix with a cleaning and lubing but what the heck! This style switch has been around forever and was sticking back then so why not a new model. I then lightly bumped the bottom of the fairing nose getting the FJR into my basement. Thought nothing of it till I was on my back cleaning and the fairing felt loose. Three flimsy brackets were broke off on the inside. They were paper thin and cheap looking. The FJR is chalked full of electrics controlling everything which is great but what if like the sidestand something pooches out!$$$$
I started looking at friends ST's even though dated is still great looking and never felt cheap.
Sooooooo when my Yamaha dealer got in a 2014 ST with very low mileage it caught my eye. Previous owner traded the ST in on a Harley . Then the dealer put a reasonable price on the ST and gave me a good price on the FJR.
Deal done. Didn't get a chance to ride it much before putting into basement but it just feels better quality and I have two years left on the warranty. A lot of people think the ST is boring because it does everything well. Me for one likes boring. Turn the key, go for a ride, repeat.
Interesting story K/W,

Did you get your bike from K/W Honda?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
It is really important to respect what you ride. 32 bikes,,,, I am speechless !! Make sure you ride one of them up to Wasaga this coming 2016 season !! Cat'

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Life is to short to ride something you are not happy with. Glad you found another ST that you like. Enjoy it when the weather gets better.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Love. My. Honda. Congrats! Not to bash Yamaha but seeing my friend have to get the head replaced on his 03' a year and a half after he purchased it was enough for me, the ST does exactly what I ask of it. The duration of the warranty speaks volumes for me IMO.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have not found a sport tourer out there yet that I would replace my 2003 ST1300 with. Sure there are better looking, faster, lighter, and more advanced machines out there, but for going long distances quickly in comfort, with lots of stuff and being able to ride at a brisk pace once you get to your destination, the old ST is hard to beat.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Traded for a 2014 ST . . . a 2014 Honda ST1300? Police bike maybe?

What color is the 2014? I'd guess . . . black.

:confused:
Shuey

Last edited:

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
A lot of people think the ST is boring because it does everything well. Me for one likes boring. Turn the key, go for a ride, repeat.
Boring?
BORING??
Not even 2 years quite yet for me and well over 80K miles and I have yet to get bored on my ST.
Highly doubt I will.

Turn the key, go for a ride, repeat.

Yeah baby!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Congrats on the ST.

Turn the key, go for a ride, repeat. That might be my response next time someone asks me if I like my ST.

My Honda 919 sits for months... but the saying still applies.

OP
OP
K/W Motoman
Cambridge Yamaha Dealer "Performance Cycle" They have an agreement with a local large Harley dealer to buy all non Harley's that are traded in. You would not believe what people trade in for Harley's. I have seen a 2014 loaded Wing, 2014 Honda F6B and other
Desirable machines. I feel like going down to the Harley dealer and stopping these people from making a huge mistake in my eyes.

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Or offer them slightly more than trade in for those machines and cut out the middle man.

Top Bottom