Engine Heat

First thing I noticed on the first ride. Blast furnace on my feet and shins. Design flaw. You have an engine with no firewall. A full fairing surrounding it with no insulation, and small outlets at the exact height of your shins. Taking the fairing off is the only answer. It spoils the look, but hey, it is what it is. Only bothers me on hot days. Otherwise, I accept the fact that whoever tested the bike must have been wearing knee-high boots. So I bought some taller boots and it helped quite a bit.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I wear Tourmaster textile pants, over jeans, and the heat doesn't bother me. Rode once with mesh pants, over shorts, and thought my leg had caught on fire, it was so hot. Maybe add an extra layer of gear to your legs?

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
When I picked up my 1991 in late July, I rode it 86 miles home and several shorter rides afterward. Engine heat was near unbearable. Took off the plastic work to catch up on service. I flushed the cooling system, cleaned the radiator fins, replaced the radiator cap (seals had small cracks, no evidence of water leakage), the overflow tube that runs back to the tank by the shock (completely blocked), and several other hoses that I didn't like the looks of. Finished it up the first week of September. The outside temp was still mid to high 90's ambient, but radiated heat was no longer a problem...still there but much reduced. Strange thing is I noticed NO change in the max reading on the temp indicator.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Baker Air Wings work quite well to reduce the heat, and insulating under the seat and tank. I built my own air wings for about 10$, and it made it possible to ride in summer here in the South.

OP
OP
Seems easy enough to just put a piece of plastic at the edge of the cutout with a flange on it to deflect the heat off the valve covers downward. I'm hitting the auto shops for mini-scoops I can paint black and mount over the valve cover opening.

Baker Air Wings work quite well to reduce the heat, and insulating under the seat and tank. I built my own air wings for about 10$, and it made it possible to ride in summer here in the South.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
+1 on the "wear another layer of gear" recommendation... for me at least, mid-calf boots + mesh textile pants over my civvies = no heat problem, even in August, even around here where temps easily reach 95+.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
No heat problems and riding at 100 degrees. I think the right gear could fix it. Not everyone tolerates heat and cold the same way. My wife wears me out on being to hot all the time when I think it is just fine. And that is not on a motorcycle.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've never had a problem with the ST's heat.
Apparently some (most?) ST's have no unpleasant heat issues. A co-worker has had both an 1100 and 1300 long term. This was one of the questions I asked before I decided to buy one myself. He's a frequent/year round rider and said both of his operated warm but not uncomfortably.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have appreciated the fact that my ST1300 seems to have a heated seat, and a heated gas tank,, and a heated frame, and lots of heat coming out of the fairing ducts. All this has made late fall riding very comfortable. I not sure if I will be as keen about this in July/August,,, but am not concerned because lots of owners have put forward innovative solutions to improve the hot shins syndrome,,, and many thanks to them for that. I am sure I will be able to deal with it for myself. But I wonder how many owners have found that vented engine heat causes discomfort for their passengers as well ?? And if so,,, can it be severe,,, or not so much ?? Cat'

Bike
2006 ST1300
My wife can FEEL the heat, but it does not bother her unless we are on a LONG ride, and/or going slow. It is most apparent when stopped or waiting for traffic. I do notice the heat is much easier to take when in my 'Stich than in mesh gear, but the 'Stich is pretty much unbearable over about 85*. Insulating under the tank does help some.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, apparently, the condition is prevalent enough to warrant deflectors on the market.
I have the air deflectors on all on my bikes. Maybe that's one reason I never get bothered by the heat. I also wear boots and textile riding pants, which do help. During the warmer months, I wear the mesh riding pants, but even then, the heat isn't that bad.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
You may find your heat issue will go way if you do a few simple maintence items.
Change your engine oil to diesel oil - try delo 400 15-40, check your t-stat to make sure it is working correctly, and do a TB sync - search service articals.
I would try these first before spending money or drilling holes in the body panels .02

OP
OP
You may find your heat issue will go way if you do a few simple maintence items.
Change your engine oil to diesel oil - try delo 400 15-40, check your t-stat to make sure it is working correctly, and do a TB sync - search service articals.
I would try these first before spending money or drilling holes in the body panels .02
Diesel oil??? Really? I just changed oil. The temp gauge always shows 3 bars, so it's not overheating, just feels like having the heater on on the floor setting in the car.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Top Bottom