Met a forum member ..over pie

Bike
2004 ST1300
Somebody has to be first to enter the next Iron Butt Rally to settle this. Two ST's battling out for Ohio and world wide fame. Who knows, maybe a movie deal!

Raymond, you need to bring the Ferret to the next Tech event at Green ZR's so we can help plan strategies.:D

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Two GREAT Guys there! Sorry Annette and I never got around to introducing youze guys!

Now I can see them heading off into the sun set, riding side by side, looking for pie.....

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Raymond, you need to bring the Ferret to the next Tech event at Green ZR's so we can help plan strategies.:D

Mickey - That is a good idea. It is a great get-together with bike improvements thrown in. And its a nice day trip for us. You should put it on your calendar.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mickey - That is a good idea. It is a great get-together with bike improvements thrown in. And its a nice day trip for us. You should put it on your calendar.
I would love to have you all here for the next Tech Event! May 14, 2016. It does look like it will be the same weekend as FerrySTOC tho. Really sorry about that. I tried to get it together when it would be a little warmer. I will go back to having it in March for 2017. I'll STill plan one in the fall of 2016, probably early Sept.

Gary.

Here is a link to last years fall event.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4829

Last edited:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I can't compete in the OHIO award.. I'm not retired!

Work ON!

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Arrghh forgot to metion OhioDeer from OH-SToc. It's the only time I get to see Doug too, and Doug has a very valid point...when I worked full time I rode every chance I got and was able to average about 11,000 miles a year. I retired and was able to more than double that 27,000 last year.... 21,000 this year. I retired to ride and that's what I do.

As far as a contest in Ohio, I can only compare myself to others in this area. I know I can't compete with guys in Florida, California, So Texas and other southern states because we get really crappy weather here in the midwest. Bitter cold, deep snow, ice. I lost 21 days of riding in Feb and March to snow. And the reason I wanted to meet Raymond was not out of jealousy, but out of admiration because I know what it takes to rack up miles in our environment and I admire guys who rack up the miles.

This group, ST-Owners.com are chock full of " riders", and I admire that.

Raymond, I could do the Indiana thing. Remind me.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Oh.... When I saw the title I assumed you'd met with Dean (GIZMO). Sorry, my mistake.
Now that is funny! I don't know how a crazy Canuck from up north got involved in this thread...but it is a good reminder of the interesting relationships we have built via this forum.

Speaking of pie, Phil, do you want me to remind you it is possible to enjoy a plethora of varieties from the Julien Pie Company while you are in San Diego?!?

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Arrghh forgot to metion OhioDeer from OH-SToc. It's the only time I get to see Doug too, and Doug has a very valid point...when I worked full time I rode every chance I got and was able to average about 11,000 miles a year. I retired and was able to more than double that 27,000 last year.... 21,000 this year. I retired to ride and that's what I do.

As far as a contest in Ohio, I can only compare myself to others in this area. I know I can't compete with guys in Florida, California, So Texas and other southern states because we get really crappy weather here in the midwest. Bitter cold, deep snow, ice. I lost 21 days of riding in Feb and March to snow. And the reason I wanted to meet Raymond was not out of jealousy, but out of admiration because I know what it takes to rack up miles in our environment and I admire guys who rack up the miles.

This group, ST-Owners.com are chock full of " riders", and I admire that.

Raymond, I could do the Indiana thing. Remind me.

The guy (nerSTeve) sitting on top of that mileage tracker list is from NH and isn't retired. If there is a will, there is a way.................

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Yeah but he's a school teacher or something, just like being retired:D
Thats funny! LOL

My wife is a school teacher. I argue to her, she couldn't handle a real job! Only works 180 days/yr,, gets some phenominal number of days off during the season??? I should have went down the teacher road when younger!! Of course I probably couldn't afford to ride then?

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah but he's a school teacher or something, just like being retired:D
Are you saying you want me to teach you how to ride that bike of yours? [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
The guy (nerSTeve) sitting on top of that mileage tracker list is from NH and isn't retired. If there is a will, there is a way.................

I know, and I think he topped the board last year too didn't he? That's incredible. He must take off the last day of school and park it back in the garage the day before school starts again. And from the N/E no less. Don't know how he does it. Those that rack up 30,40, 50000 miles in one year just amaze me. That is a ton of saddle time.

I wonder how many of the top 20 or so are still working.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I've heard stories. I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two. :)

Ashley
Lies!!! All lies!
I just ride.... period. I just happen to be on a bike that is really built for the miles now and has a better range than anything I've ever owned. The world of sport touring is a wonderful place for a guy like me. And this forum just feeds that desire. The SToc events, RTEs, and the tagging and the other riders here. I work year round even though I work for a school. I'm not faculty and don't get the summer off like they do, but I do have a great vacation package and our fiscal year runs July 1 thru June 30 so it works PERFECTLY for an avid rider to get a reset on vacation time during the "normal" riding season. There you have it, that's my secret.... oh and I work up to 80 hours a week sometimes too. It's events like the Moonshine Lunch Run, Gear that keeps me dry and cool like KLIM, and great bike with good stock gas range, and just my plain ole desire to ride that keep me going. I just love to ride. Period. Riding in snow isn't that bad if you take your time and stay smart. It's the ice that comes up to bite you. I'm sure we've all seen the videos of riders in the snow. Last year though I think I spent a good amount of time on vacation riding the southern states during the winter months.... it's that whole off-set fiscal year thing I'm lucky to have...

Ride on, Ride Long! :)

*****Edit**** Oh yeah... gotta add the rest of November's miles in and get to tallying up Decembers.... hehe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Congratulations Ray, I didn't know there was a top rider award for Ohio but if there is not I will here by award you the "Top Rider in Ohio Award".

Mikey, maybe next year for you, but you will have to step it up. No stopping Ray next year.

We met again for pie a couple of weeks ago! and for the record in 2016 Ray beat me again...by 149 miles even though I managed to ride 323 days last year.

I got him so far this year though (let's see if it lasts. Lot of times and miles from now until Dec 31) lol

What I still find very amusing...in the start of this thread...about you two avid mileage-rackers riders meeting up for pie/conversation...is that you agreed to split the 30 mile distance were apart from each other!!...and...with proper routing...you could have picked a meet-up spot that would have given you the needed 149 additional miles to match annual totals!...of course, not being competitive...just love to ride!...keep it going!:bow1::03biker:

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Hey Mickey is that you? Small world.

Darren (aka DRT)

Hey DRT, yep thats me. What are you doing here? Lol. You still messing with bows?

What I still find very amusing...in the start of this thread...about you two avid mileage-rackers riders meeting up for pie/conversation...is that you agreed to split the 30 mile distance were apart from each other!!...and...with proper routing...you could have picked a meet-up spot that would have given you the needed 149 additional miles to match annual totals!...of course, not being competitive...just love to ride!...keep it going!:bow1::03biker:
The thing is, it's not really a competition, we just both like to ride..a lot. Watching Ray rack up miles encourages me to rack up miles. Going onto the last weekend of the year, I thought I had him, but Ray had taken off for a RTE in Alabama (he had invited me to go, but that time of the year can be so iffy in Ohio/Kentucky I declined) and he ended up riding 5 hours in the rain to get home, and racking up enough miles to best me, even though that wasn't his intention. Like I said he just likes to ride. Awesome! It's a pleasure to be bested by someone like Ray. Great guy. Happy for him. However, I am going to make him really work for it this year ha ha.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Hey Mickey, I haven't built a bow in years. Haven't really shot for a couple years either. Spend my spare time riding and coaching for MSF. I just bought a 2010 ST1300 to replace my r1100rt. I always wanted a Honda but couldn't afford one.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I haven't built a bow in years either. Joints got sore, breaks became longer between bows, finally gave it up. Still have over 100 though lol. I still hunt every year with my son but haven't shot anything in a few years now. Mostly just take pictures. You will come to love the ST just not the weight of it lol. Good to see you are still around.

Top Bottom