Grip covers

Bike
2007 ST-1300
I like my heated grips although I'm used to something beefier. Is anyone using a slip on type comfort grip that can be applied over the existing grip without removing it?
Any recommendations?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use Grip Puppies, and they work very well. I have heard that grip heaters work almost as well thru them. Lasted thru 3 seasons now, and are relatively inexpensive.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I bought a pair of Grip Buddies shortly after they were first introduced.

Overall, I'm very happy with the comfort. I test-installed mine without the adhesive and they stayed put so I left them that way. They've done fine in the rain, and being neoprene, they don't soak up water.

My only complaint is that the one on the left side has worn quite a bit on the side facing the clutch lever in the spot where my fingers wrap around them. This is probably because they see a lot of activity as I move from being on the grip to covering the clutch. A new version was introduced a few years ago that's claimed to be more durable.

They're hand made, so if you don't have the standard grips, you can probably work with the manufacturer to get a custom-cut set.

Four stars. I'd buy 'em again.

--Mark

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I like my heated grips although I'm used to something beefier. Is anyone using a slip on type comfort grip that can be applied over the existing grip without removing it?
Any recommendations?
Grip puppies. Had then on my last two bikes including the st. I love them.
Inexpensive and comfortable.
Mike

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
OK - I bought a set of Grip Puppies in the Fall and I tried to put them on - but simply couldn't. The bike is now in storage and not accessible, but since the topic has been raised today - can someone please tell me the trick for getting these darned things on overtop of the stock grips?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK - I bought a set of Grip Puppies in the Fall and I tried to put them on - but simply couldn't. The bike is now in storage and not accessible, but since the topic has been raised today - can someone please tell me the trick for getting these darned things on overtop of the stock grips?
Warm them up and spray the inside with hair spray and they will go right on and stick great when dry.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Warm them up and spray the inside with hair spray and they will go right on and stick great when dry.
Thanks Mike - I have heard about the hairspray trick but did you take the bar ends off first as well? I didn't warm them but I just found that I could only get them on about an inch and not a bit further. I felt that if I had tried any harder, the foam would simply split and tear open.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I used a little dawn dish soap, mixed with warm water. Spray inside and apply carefully when wet. Don't pull our twist too hard as they will tear.
Don't ask how I know.
Mike

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I installed KOSO heated grips last winter. When I saw them at the dealer I liked the beefier size (I still like them a year later). When I installed them I put a grip puppy on the throttle side and cut to length once installed with a razor knife. The clutch side was cut to length before install and tore during the process. After a season of riding with one Puppy I have learned A) the grip heaters work about as well with/without the puppies B) with the larger grips I don't haver a strong preference for the grip puppy addition. Heated with a hair dryer and Bar ends were off.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used a large screw driver through the Grip-Puppy and GENTLY moved the screwdriver around the grip until the Grip-Puppy moved up to where I needed it.

My only issue was that since I rode the bike daily, they only lasted about 6 months. It's back to Grab On Grips again!

On a side note, I also tried the shark skins. Same issue. I rode daily they only lasted maybe three or four months. I still have a set on my 2012, only because they were easy to install when I picked the bike up last September and I haven't had a chance to install my Grab On grips yet.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've used Grab On Grip's Grip Covers several times and like them.

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I have grip puppies over Oxford Adventure heated grips and the heat comes through just fine. IIRC, I used a needle tip on my air compressor to inflate them a bit as I installed them. I don't remember putting the puppies on being much of a chore.

OP
OP
Dragonslayer
Bike
2007 ST-1300
What is the OD of the grip. 1.25" to 1.45" or 1.45" to 1.65" ?
I ordered grip covers and ordered the smaller OD. I can't get them on and think I ordered the wrong size?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
A year-n-half later I'm still happy with bicycle bar tape wrapped around my oem grips. Extra thick and perfectly grip heater compatible. here

Here

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I have grip puppies over Oxford Adventure heated grips and the heat comes through just fine. IIRC, I used a needle tip on my air compressor to inflate them a bit as I installed them. I don't remember putting the puppies on being much of a chore.
now THAT is a great idea AlleyBrewer. Further justification for my purchase of a Cambell-Hausfeid Cast Iron series air compressor.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've been toying with the idea of adding some bicycle tape to the center of the grips giving them a palm swell, then covering them with grip covers. This is why I find the BMW grips very comfortable if just a little smaller in diameter than I like.

Top Bottom