Obit: Derek Catt, STOC 001

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm sure there are many newer members who don't know all the facts. I need to update the "New Members" post #1 just a little. Anyway, here's Derek's obituary from the Naperville Sun in June 1994. Today would have been his 46th birthday. Seems odd to think of him like that. I still miss my boy.

“Every blade in the field - Every leaf in the forest - lays down its life in its season as beautifully as it was taken up.” ― Henry David Thoreau

Derek obit.jpg

Couple'a short stories about Derek, some of you have heard these before, I'm sure. :D

Derek was a self-taught sign language interpreter. He and friends started with finger spelling in about 3rd grade so they could "talk" in class. He continued with it into serious American Sign Language thru high school, even got license to interpret in business meetings. Made pretty good pocket money doing that. After he was in the army in DC, he met some deaf students from Gallaudet and became friends. He then volunteered for the TDD desk at the university and eventual became the only hearing student who wasn't also on official staff. Just a hint of the kind of guy he was.

After the army, he attended University at Southern Illinois and was appointed "Dorm Mother" in the deaf dorm. Working toward his bachelors, he had decided to move his major to Law, with the intention of becoming an advocate for the deaf. I know he would have been successful. When we picked up his stuff in South Carolina, among his effects was a Constituional law book, his reading for the weekend. Yes, we returned it to the school library. :D

'Nother story from his High School days: Chrismas of about 96 or so, he went to do some "shopping". Didn't hear from him for hours, had no clue??? Finally, about 10, he called. He was in the UP visiting a young lady he had met at Revolutionary reenactment. We called her "wolf girl" because he dad raised mixed breed wolf dogs. BTW, he was driving one of these, Honda Z600 Coupe, 2 cylinder, air cooled:
Z600.jpg

Yes he was grounded for a week when he got home. No, he didn't understand why.

I could go on for hours, and have done. Ask me anything, you'll be sorry. :D

Happy his brother Adam has turned into a fine guy as well, husband and father and dedicated local cop in Illinois. We remember Derek every birthday and every Memorial Day.

Last edited:

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
George, I truly admire you for sharing Derek's life as well as his accident with us. I sometimes feel like I actually knew him from your stories. I'm sorry for your loss

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
George,
Those we love do not go away, they walk beside us everyday,
unseen, unheard, but always near.
Still loved, still missed, and forever dear.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hi George-

After reading your post, I thought Derek might like to get on a bike today, it being his birthday and all. Although mine wasn't road-ready today, I did what I could...

Later on, all the boys dropped by and hung around for a stretch.

They're getting excited about their upcoming trip to Roatan in a couple of weeks, too.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
George my prayers go out to you. When we have lost someone as special Derek there is always a void that is left . I lost my 19 year old nephew Jayson May 11 1994. These young men left us early with wonderful memories, never forgotten and loved dearly.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks George for posting. I already knew about Derek, but didn't know about his signing. He is the same age as my son. I'm sure loosing a child is the hardest thing you will ever have to deal with in life.

Bike
2008 ST1300
George, THANK YOU very much for sharing Derek's memory with us.

You and I haven't met before but Derek's story hits especially close to home for me. My best friend was killed in a motorcycle accident in April of 1994. He was relatively close in age to Derek, he had just marked the beginning of his 19th year 2 weeks prior to his death. It seems that spring of 1994 was filled with tragedy. The incredible sting of a young life lost is difficult for both the family and close friends.

Do you ever hear from, or keep in touch with any of Derek's old friends?

Last edited:
OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
A few folks who knew Derek are on this forum, on ST-Riders.org, and on FB. So yes to your question. His mother and brother (STrayCatt on this forum) still hear from some of his college friends. A measure of the impact he had on folks, still remembered after 22 years. We all survive as long as we are remembered. :D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I meant to post this sooner then got distracted. When George posted, I was in possession of the STOC tags including, of course, Derek's. I was working on my bike at the time, in a rented storage unit, so the best I could manage was to get Derek on board but indoors:

Then it seemed only right that the other fellas should share in the memorium:

And of course they were suitably honored the day the arrived in my care:

Now they've all been to Roatan with me, sharing in some snorkeling and SCUBA diving while aboard a private charter sailboat.

Happy Birthday Derek, however belated I may be in expressing it.

Bike
GL1800 2015
Thanks for the poST George!
Been away from the Site for quite awhile, and from 2 wheels as well!
Brings back many memories, especially when I first joined HSTA back in in '97 (I Think)
OMG! like almost 20 Years ago! Wow how time flies!
Hope to run in into you sometime this year!

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I meant to post this sooner then got distracted. When George posted, I was in possession of the STOC tags including, of course, Derek's. I was working on my bike at the time, in a rented storage unit, so the best I could manage was to get Derek on board but indoors:

Then it seemed only right that the other fellas should share in the memorium:

And of course they were suitably honored the day the arrived in my care:

Now they've all been to Roatan with me, sharing in some snorkeling and SCUBA diving while aboard a private charter sailboat.

Happy Birthday Derek, however belated I may be in expressing it.
Great post and pics, Keith. Thanks.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I'm sure there are many newer members who don't know all the facts.

Hey George I know Derek was an earlier player with the whole St-Owners and ST-Owners.org, will you tell everyone else how he was involved with the early groups and SToc#'s

Top Bottom