Audiovox cruise install glitch

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
So I'm installing an Audiovox on my 1100. Just fitted carbs back in the boots, bell crank work is completed. The issue is the throttle cables are binding up. I can turn the grip to full throttle but half way it binds, a bit of pressure and the bell crank moves to the wide open stop. When I release the throttle grip nothing happens. I have to manually roll off the throttle. I have lube the cables till oil runs out at the bell crank. I did not remove the cables. They are not kinked. The new attachment arm on the bell crank is not touching anything. I'm puzzled, however some might say that is a normal state. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Mine operates smoothly, however, my cruise cable is attached to the air filter and runs parallel with the OEM cables. I did experience drag but that was due to build up on the handlebars and I had to manually close the throttle. I cleaned up the tube and used sewing machine oil to lube the plastic sleeve on the handlebar and it's much smoother now.
The other thing to consider in your set-up is the bead chain. It's recommended that there are 7 beads between the cruise cable and bell crank so that the throttle cables don't bind.

OP
OP
STing
Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
I have not hooked up the cruise cable, just made mod to bell crank to attach the chain. I did not move or tamper with the throttle cables but now that carbs are reset I have some sort of binding that was not present prior to tapping bell crank. I went so far as to pull the carbs and remove the cruise attachment bar, no change, still have no free return of throttle if I turn it beyond halfway. The bell crank is absolutely not hitting anything.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have no more thoughts, exceeded my skill set with carbs. I presume you also tried this with the bike running, and same result?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Just a thought but have you checked the return spring on the carbs?

OP
OP
STing
Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
John, I have studied all of your photos and others multiple times. All I've done is strip the plastic and remove the fuel tank. I then loosened the carb boots and leveraged the carbs so I could drill and tap the bell crank. I installed the bar on the bell crank and reseated the carbs. I did not move or relocate the throttle cables. I have not installed any portion of the Audiovox. Just the bar on the bell crank. I turn the throttle grip now and at mid point I have resistance. I rotate grip to full open and release it, it closes slightly then binds up. I manually twist grip forward and something releases and grip will then return to full closed on it's own.
I have checked the newly installed bell crank level for clearance, no issues. Could there be be something binding under the carbs. Where is the carb return spring? I'm looking at a shop manual and don't seem to figure this out. I'm much better with a sledgehammer and cutting torch. I hate typing!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks, Tim. I suspect you're on to something with the possibility of the carbs' interconnected linkages being impeded. Should be easier to check with the fuel tank out. Throttle stop (idle set) cable attached/routed correctly? Carb drain tubes/joint assy still attached properly? Is the right front (#1) carb boot clamp correct?

The return spring is right behind the throttle bell crank.

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
STing
Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
Issue resolved. I apparently bent the throttle link bar slightly when I leveraged the carbs up. I was able to apply a bit of down pressure to straighten a bit, grip throttle returns nicely now. Now I can continue with my 7 hour Audiovox cruise installation. Did I mention a hour of ya'lls time equates to 1 day of my time. No where does any of the meager literature mention the use of big hammers, cutting torches or front end loaders. Thanks everybody. I'm sure I'll have more issues I'll need help with.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Glad you found the culprit. The rest of the install should go smoothly. connecting to the coil wire was a bit of a challenge for me, I wasn't happy with the scotch lock connecting device. I used a positap connector second time around. (I transferred my AC from my old bike to my new one) Yes the second time around is much easier.
Much success with the rest of your install

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
STing
Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
Outstanding guys!, I even believe I have some of those on hand already. If not I'll get some. I hope the rest of the project goes smoother than this initial phase.

Top Bottom