Got my first JIS screwdriver

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
It wasn't cheap as far as screwdrivers go, but considering it's a Vessel and has a built in impact driver in the handle, and how well it works, it's the best tool I've bought in years.

To give you an example of how well it works - I was working on my brother-in-law's new project bike - an '83 Shadow 750. The float bowl screws all came out with zero slippage even though they needed a fair bit of force. In fact, the screw can even hold the screwdriver in the air at about a 45 degree angle by the contacts points!

re: Vessel Megadora 980 Impacta P2x150 #2 JIS Cross Point Impact Screwdriver from Amazon.com

Bike
ST1300A4
Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking for something a bit better than the ones provided in the standard tool kits with Japanese bikes, which don't usually have a wide enough handle to get a good grip.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The float bowl screws all came out with zero slippage even though they needed a fair bit of force.
There's a reason for that. Phillips screws and screwdrivers are designed to cam out after a certain amount of torque has been applied in either direction. Repeated cam outs eventually destroy the screw head. JIS was designed not to cam out because they're intended to be installed with something that can measure the torque. A Phillips screwdriver in a JIS screw will cam out, which is why the JIS drivers work when the fastener is stuck.

--Mark

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You need the right tool for the job to be done right, these work amazingly well for what they are designed for.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You need the right tool for the job . . .
This old adage still holds true.

I bought a version of the Vessel impact driver a couple of years ago. Haven't used the impact driver function yet, but it works well as a regular driver. I also picked up a couple JIS drivers sets, which include varying lengths and from 00 - 2 in size. Most electronics use JIS, so removing the tiny screws from wireless sensors and the like is a snap. JIS drivers are a perfect addition to any toolbox.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
There ya go! Considering the quality of Gordon's tools I'm going to go through the inventory and order some of his tools. Excellent quality.

He has good tool sets, Jim. I have two sets--one on the bike and one to work on them. I didn't get the complete set, just pick the best of what I needed. You can mix/match smaller sets and get the best of what works for you.

I did buy the Vessel screwdrivers from Amazon as I didn't need all of what he has in his set.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I bought a set here in the UK after some searching and they're invaluable, but decided they were a bit big to take on the bike for touring so managed to locate a set of JIS screwdriver head bits to fit a standard socket type screwdriver... and these fit in the toolbag a treat, allowing me to dump the standard Honda ones.

I'd love to add a link but my browser decided to dump all of my bookmarks on an recent update. :-?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I bought a set here in the UK after some searching and they're invaluable, but decided they were a bit big to take on the bike for touring so managed to locate a set of JIS screwdriver head bits to fit a standard socket type screwdriver... and these fit in the toolbag a treat, allowing me to dump the standard Honda ones.

I'd love to add a link but my browser decided to dump all of my bookmarks on an recent update. :-?
I bought a set of JIS bits and T-handles from Dennis Kirk. Made by Motion Pro, I think. They are a bit longish but fit flat. I also have JIS #'s 1/2/3 screwdrivers. Both fit into my ST1100, along with spare bulbs and plugs, under the seat. My newly acquired ST1300 needs a set of tools so I will experiment with what fits in that space. Question of the century....why do so many owners 'lose' the owners manual and tool kit?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

http://revlimiter.net/store/jis-screwdrivers.php

Click on the Select a Set dropdown for the bit sets. I carry them along with 4, 5, and 6mm hex socket bits in my onboard aux tool kit.

John

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It wasn't cheap as far as screwdrivers go, but considering it's a Vessel and has a built in impact driver in the handle, and how well it works, it's the best tool I've bought in years.

To give you an example of how well it works - I was working on my brother-in-law's new project bike - an '83 Shadow 750. The float bowl screws all came out with zero slippage even though they needed a fair bit of force. In fact, the screw can even hold the screwdriver in the air at about a 45 degree angle by the contacts points!

Need I say more. It nearly ripped the thumb off my skin holding this ! This is the one with the impact driver mechanism.

Bike
'08 ST1300
--ordered the vessel #2 from amazon,, about $9.95; might add the #1 and #3 later

--JIS, Japanese industrial standard; ordered on 11/17, rcvd on 12/18; about 4 weeks; they gave shipping advice of 4 to 7 weeks; I guess be prepared to wait a while; as they sometimes do come from Japan; FYI.

--notwithstanding the extra wait; the "Vessel" brand seems like very good quality;

--thread hijack.... for good quality micro screwdrivers; check out " DaisoJapan.com", aka the japanese dollar store;

Last edited:
Top Bottom