Knee replacement March 8 , 2016

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Hello everyone!
Just had a total knee replacement yesterday morning and everything is going well! I want to thank everyone for the support! All previous threads have led to my decision to complete the surgery. I know the rehab will the tough part but the posts that I have read give great support and encouragement to push though for success! This website has been great! To read all the posts and learn from everyone has been huge for me! Joe thanks for putting this site together to create many friendships and opportunities to meet people all over the world that provides invaluable support to more than technical support!
A BIG THANKS Joe!
Between Meds and nurses visiting every hour allowed we might thought to forget and relax!
Randy

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Everything I've heard about replacement knees from people who have them says they're awesome. Have a good recovery!

--Mark

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Randy, Knowing U ride bike, I hope the doc gave U the replacement with the Zirk fitting. Small shot of grease every 1,000 miles good to gooooo.
Best of luck with your new knee.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You're just one cog in a huge wheel.... okay, I need more coffee, that's the best I could come up with.. lol.. Great to hear you're doing well and I'm sure you'll heal and feel better than before.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Excuse my ignorance on non-oem body parts, but did you have a choice on what kind of knee you wanted? I can only assume there has to be a bunch of different models. Carbon Fiber? Good luck on the PT Randy, hope your therapist is a hottie.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well best of luck on the recovery process. We hope you are back on the road soon better then new.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hope it all goes well for you. I'm coming up on six years on my knee replacements and no problems. Just got through walking three miles this morning and rode ten miles on an exercise bike. The key is when the therapy is done, continue to exercise them. Muscle strength is the secret to keep them working properly. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it! Most days if I didn't have scars, I wouldn't remember that they had been replaced.

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Excuse my ignorance on non-oem body parts, but did you have a choice on what kind of knee you wanted? I can only assume there has to be a bunch of different models. Carbon Fiber? Good luck on the PT Randy, hope your therapist is a hottie.
Ken
The doctor uses Stryker knee replacement. So far I am very pleased! Dr. came by and said I can be released after therapy this morning. Lookes like noon release!

"Hope it all goes well for you. I'm coming up on six years on my knee replacements and no problems. Just got through walking three miles this morning and rode ten miles on an exercise bike. The key is when the therapy is done, continue to exercise them. Muscle strength is the secret to keep them working properly. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it! Most days if I didn't have scars, I wouldn't remember that they had been replaced."

Phil
Thank you for all your feedback! You are the one that helped make me decide to fianally get it done. I would like to do the other one close to Christmas time but depends on PT and how I feel. Plan to be at Moonshine but will drive in on Friday morning.
Thanks again for all your posts and take care!
Randy

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Randy, wishing you all the best luck in the world. As UP said, the key is once you get through therapy continue to excise the crap outta it. Like I said in the KK (Koffee Klub), had mine down last July and still having some problems although the pain is gone. I was back in the hospital for a week just hours after I was released the first time. They never did figure out the problem but my doc did take two large vials of blood off the knee. I think they took the drain tube out too soon.

Anyway, hit the ground running, well maybe not today but you'll get there.

Gary

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Like uncle Phil Chris (my wife) has had very few problems with her replacements: unless you consider wearing them out a problem.
This last time (1 year go) she only had to have the 'pad' (bearing surface) replaced due to the stainless steel screw failing after 11 years.
The xray comparison looked pretty cool, in the original there was a blob where the screw held down the pad and in the 'new' one there was blob off in between the pad and the 'upper' part. The doctor gave them to Chris after the operation; so, we have them around here somewhere (he had them cleaned and sterilized first! :D ).

Good luck with your's Randy.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ken
The doctor uses Stryker knee replacement. So far I am very pleased! Dr. came by and said I can be released after therapy this morning. Lookes like noon release!

"Hope it all goes well for you. I'm coming up on six years on my knee replacements and no problems. Just got through walking three miles this morning and rode ten miles on an exercise bike. The key is when the therapy is done, continue to exercise them. Muscle strength is the secret to keep them working properly. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it! Most days if I didn't have scars, I wouldn't remember that they had been replaced."

Phil
Thank you for all your feedback! You are the one that helped make me decide to fianally get it done. I would like to do the other one close to Christmas time but depends on PT and how I feel. Plan to be at Moonshine but will drive in on Friday morning.
Thanks again for all your posts and take care!
Randy
Randy - As it turns out, one of the engineers at Stryker rides a yellow ST1300, IIRC. Just remember the 'challenge' of doing one in the winter is the blood thinners - you'll swear you are freezing to death! :D

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I had mine done 4 weeks ago Monday. I still have swelling and my range of motion is not where I think it should be. But I had hardware taken out from when I broke my knee back in 2004. They bent a few screws getting them out. They tell me it is why mine is taking a little longer to come around. But it is slowly getting better. I will be glad when it is over. I no longer have pain in my knee joint. So that is a positive!
There is a guy I am going through PT with that has just had both knees done. About 4 months apart. He has also had both hips replaced. He must be a whole lot tougher than me!

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had mine done 4 weeks ago Monday. I still have swelling and my range of motion is not where I think it should be. But I had hardware taken out from when I broke my knee back in 2004. They bent a few screws getting them out. They tell me it is why mine is taking a little longer to come around. But it is slowly getting better. I will be glad when it is over. I no longer have pain in my knee joint. So that is a positive!
There is a guy I am going through PT with that has just had both knees done. About 4 months apart. He has also had both hips replaced. He must be a whole lot tougher than me!
Keith - As I always say it's a bit like taking a needed spanking - necessary but you sure are glad when it's over! ;-)

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Thanks everyone!
Came home this afternoon, I am walking more and stretching. Trying to keep pace with therapy that they have given me. Definitely making a difference.

Lookng forward to the next few months and climbing back on the bike!
Randy

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Randy, Knowing U ride bike, I hope the doc gave U the replacement with the Zirk fitting. Small shot of grease every 1,000 miles good to gooooo.
Best of luck with your new knee.
Congrats on the new knee..... I'm sure Bob meant to say, "make sure you use synthetic grease".............

Top Bottom