Easiest way to pick up an ACC switched live

Bike
Honda ST1300/2
Hi Guys, ( I'm using this as a slang term for ladies and Gents ):D
i need to pick up a Switched Accessory Live somewhere on the bike. This is too long a story but I have installed the Phillips Daytime Running Lights, and I need a switched Live and not the one I'm already using on the Sidelights, so I need to pick up the Ignition Accessory Live, that means it will be switched of when the bike is off, now I know you Guys will know all the shortcuts to pick this wire up :D I'd be grateful for any help :D
Cheers
Glen

Bike
2010 ST1300
How about from the quartet harness? If you are not using this, you get several taps off the main harness - one switched, one unswitched, and two others. Only limitation is, iirc, a 5 amp max draw. (Divide the watts of your accessory by 12 to get amps. e.g. a 50 watt halogen lamp /12 = 4.17 amps.

OP
OP
Glencmp
Bike
Honda ST1300/2
Guys Thank You :D I've been hunting around for a couple of weeks now, as just don't want to butcher anything, as I have a permanent live, but I didn't want to start taking the dash apart, so I'm very grateful :bow1::bow1:

OP
OP
Glencmp
Bike
Honda ST1300/2
That works perfect, and easy to get to, I'm getting happier :D

Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi Glen. Is there any reason you no longer want to use the side light tap? I use it and now I'm worried I'm possibly setting myself up for a fault? Many thanks

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My mother never told me this when I was growing up, but a friend told me about an item available at auto parts stores last week called Add A Circuit that I bought at a local AutoZone store when I wanted to add a switched power circuit to my ST1300. It's easy to hook up, and the beauty of it is you don't have to cut or splice or anything else to the bike's wiring to add it. All you have to do is remove the appropriate fuse from the existing circuit that you want to tap into and plug in the Add A Circuit adapter in place of the fuse. You then insert the fuse you removed into the adapter for the original circuit you're tapping into, plus an additional fuse for the new circuit that is connected to the pigtail from the adapter. The attached photo shows it quite clearly. I removed the 15amp fuse that's labelled "15A ACC,TURN" since that is obviously a switched circuit (the turn signals/flashers only function with the ignition ON). My accessory fuse that I added is also 15A. The red wire on the left in the photo is the one coming from the adapter; the other red wire (on the right) goes from the high beam relay to the Genie garage door opener so I can raise/lower my garage door by flashing the high beams. The two blue 15A fuses can barely be seen plugged into the adapter near the bottom left corner of the photo. The only potential problem with using the adapter is that the cover originally closed over the fuse can no longer be closed. I really don't anticipate that will be any cause for concern, since it has weather protection with the side cover and seat installed.

When going the the auto parts store to shop for the Add A Circuit be sure to take the fuse with you, since the adapters are available for different fuse physical sizes.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glencmp
Bike
Honda ST1300/2
Hi Don B, I've just ordered this from eBay ?2 but I was worried about the fuse cover not closing

OP
OP
Glencmp
Bike
Honda ST1300/2
Hi Howard :D no panic at all :D I need an extra live because the lights scence that voltage drops so they turn themselves off, problem is you connect a Batt charger and the lights pop back on!!!! So only in this case do I need a Swiched live, I could put a switch in but I don't want to butcher the bike :D

Top Bottom