rain gear....suggestions

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I have been riding with a 2 piece PVC rain suit for the last couple years. Yes it keeps me dry, but as soon as the rain stops
and the sun peeps out ....I realize I'm in a garbage bag and have to escape P.D.Q. !

Looking for some ideas and have always been interested in Frog-Tog (or similar). Supposedly water proof/resistant, BUT.... breathable.

Looking for a lightweight, breathable, waterproof alternative to riding in "the bag"as it seems as though I could be in for a wet season ( if I say
it,it won't happen).

THANKS,
Dave

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I just got my wife a pair of Colombia rain pants they are lightweight and truly waterproof we tested them this weekend 3+ hours in the rain and she stayed dry I on the other hand with my Olympia Rangers pants started to get some leakage in the crotch area.

st1300doug

FROGG TOGGS - Used them for the last 15 + years. Breath great, keep you dry and are VERY compact, with it's own tote-bag. OnLine, WallyMart, Bass Pro, Cabellas, etc. From $50- $75 Love'em!

Bike
2020 BMW K1600GTL
FROGG TOGGS - Used them for the last 15 + years. Breath great, keep you dry and are VERY compact, with it's own tote-bag. OnLine, WallyMart, Bass Pro, Cabellas, etc. From $50- $75 Love'em!
Abso-freaking-lutely. I got a pair to replace my nth pair of pvc pants that ripped at the crotch a few years ago. Dry, comfortable, compact and no more ripping crotch. Most especially, never again have I looked like I was incontinent.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
The ultimate is riding gear that is waterproof and then you don't have to stop to put rain gear on but its expensive stuff, I have the KLIM Latitude Misano jacket and it is absolutely waterproof and they guarantee it. I now have to get the pants to go with the jacket. $$$

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ultimate is riding gear that is waterproof and then you don't have to stop to put rain gear on but its expensive stuff, I have the KLIM Latitude Misano jacket and it is absolutely waterproof and they guarantee it. I now have to get the pants to go with the jacket. $$$
I agree but depending on the season of the year I wear Frogg Toggs over mesh riding gear or a 1 piece Aerostich. Frogg Toggs good.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Frogg Toggs here (after trying more expensive options that leak after a couple of years). However, I do recommend their 'bib' trousers as I find the regular jacket just a little short with the regular trousers.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Another vote for Frogg Toggs. They don't last forever but are cheap enough to replace every few years.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I've leaned towards wanting them for a few years,but the "paper" feel and a few reviews have swayed me away. BUT, current thoughts ( like yours) and the fact that a sporting goods store has the 2 pc set on sale for $39.99....had me wishing I could get over there pronto !

THANKS for the input

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
ASK at ST-Owners and ye shall receive. THANK YOU all for your replies. I'll watch for more,but wanted to say...this is a great community of riders.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have yet to find a set of rain gear that is good for more than 3 or 4 rides before the crotch leaks. How long do you get out of a set of Frogg Toggs?
I've not ridden in the rain enough to wear them out. Although in one particularly heavy rain, my crotch did leak a little. At that point, they were a couple years old and had been through several thousand miles of riding.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I rode to Toronto and back in the rain yesterday, total of almost 5 hours of riding with a good portion in the rain and I arrived dry. Gore-tex is a really good solution in my opinion, my jacket was bought in spring of 2012 and I bought the pants a few months later and they have survived well other than that the colour of the coat has faded a bit. I have ridden over 75,000 km (45,000 miles) wearing the jacket.

Gerhard

I've leaned towards wanting them for a few years,but the "paper" feel and a few reviews have swayed me away. BUT, current thoughts ( like yours) and the fact that a sporting goods store has the 2 pc set on sale for $39.99....had me wishing I could get over there pronto !

THANKS for the input
Keep in mind there are different models / types of Frogg-Toggs. Some are made for cyclists and others are for fishermen or other users. Riding puts a lot of stress on the fabric. Also ones for motorcycling have a hoodie. Go to their web site and see the differences before just buying the sporting goods one. It may not work as well as the ones made for bikers.

I rode to Toronto and back in the rain yesterday, total of almost 5 hours of riding with a good portion in the rain and I arrived dry. Gore-tex is a really good solution in my opinion, my jacket was bought in spring of 2012 and I bought the pants a few months later and they have survived well other than that the colour of the coat has faded a bit. I have ridden over 75,000 km (45,000 miles) wearing the jacket.

Gerhard
I don't see where you mentioned what jacket you are using. Some have actual gor-tex brand membrane and others are different. What do you have?

v8-7

Site Supporter
Another Frogg toggs- road hogs user ..Probably 6-7 years old and stating to wear at the lower end of the pants legs..

They make a good windbreaker in the cold AND a good pillow when camping :) l

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
+1 on frogg toggs I have been using frog toggs for a decade . they work great

Byron

STOC #
For me my riding gear is my rain suit. In the winter AST is waterproof on the outside so I don't even have to stop. In the summer wearing mesh I usually have the liners in the saddle bags. If rain hits I just stop and install the liners that are waterproof. For me easier than carrying another gear item as the liners add extra warmth if needed as well. The reason I decided to go this way was because once years ago I put on a two piece rain gear setup only to have a pool of ice cold water form in my lap. I found out when it made it's way through the pants fly. :eek:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Another vote for Frog Toggs- I keep mine handy in the summer, when I wear mesh gear. In the winter/spring/fall, I wear an Aerostich, which will keep me very dry, even in Frog-Drowning Stump-floating rainstorms.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Frog Toggs........ they breathe. Jacket has always kept me dry. You can get seepage in the crotch if the water accumulates there, but only occasionally. I don't recommend the lined version as they are much harder to pack.

Top Bottom