rain gear....suggestions

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Just threw away my 3rd set of Road toads. Get 2 years of use.
The motorcycle FrogTogs are cut to fit over your riding gear. Size large for me.
Cheap, work, every 1 sells them.
I have not found the bib style yet?

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Keep in mind there are different models / types of Frogg-Toggs. Some are made for cyclists and others are for fishermen or other users. Riding puts a lot of stress on the fabric. Also ones for motorcycling have a hoodie. Go to their web site and see the differences before just buying the sporting goods one. It may not work as well as the ones made for bikers.
Thought I was done researching and on my way to buy my Frogg Toggs. BUT.... when I was checking out the $39.99 set at Dick's Sporting Goods I saw that they offered a solo jacket that was black but had reflective pin striping. Interesting. The pants had no pockets and that bothered me since my current rain pants are pocket less as well. I decided to think on it and went outside to my STeed. Oh yeah, Bass Pro was right there, so I rode over to check out their selection. While they had only few choices....they did have AWESOME pants for $25. They had zipper pockets, draw string waste AND 12" leg zippers that went all the way to the Velcro cinch bottom of the leg. I checked the tags and they say GUARANTEED to be waterproof at any speed.I own them now and just have to find the right jacket. I'll be keeping the receipt AND tags....just in case! LOTS of good input ....THANKS!

Last edited:

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I've used Frogg Toggs for years, typically over a mesh jacket and pants. Overall I'm a fan but i echo Ray's comment that they do not keep me 100% dry all over in a big storm. But I so appreciate the breathability and hi-vis that I haven't been inclined to switch for something else.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I forgot to mention we have the hi-viz Road Toadz jackets, black pants. I am experimenting with some Olympia Horizons..... I suspect they won't breathe nearly as well.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just threw away my 3rd set of Road toads. Get 2 years of use.
The motorcycle FrogTogs are cut to fit over your riding gear. Size large for me.
Cheap, work, every 1 sells them.
I have not found the bib style yet?
Ace -

FROGG TOGGS - PRO ADVANTAGE BIBS
Color: Black
Size: 3X-Large
Sku #466983 -
$31.99

Got mine at Motorcycle Superstore

The 'bibs' solved the wet crotch and I've got no water in after I swapped to them. There's enough overlap so you stay dry.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
But you look like a nuclear powered Stay Puff marshmallow man in them! (I gotta find the pic I took!)
I have no idea what a Stay Puff marshmallow is - and I'm not going to Google it! - but I totally agree the look is not flattering. Part of that is the "solid" nature of my physique...but part of it is also the fact a local rider was selling his hi-vis suit and I bought it despite knowing it was at least 1 size too large!!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I'm more impressed that that's a genuine appears to be functional telephone booth....very rare, good find........ff

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you're going to ride in a frog-strangler rain storm, do you want to stay dry or look like you're coming from a fashion show?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
So looks like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is in Canada from the Canadian payphone and it looks suspiciously like our friend from Kitchener ;)

Gerhard

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I'm picking up a one piece from cycle gear(about 50 bucks) tomorrow, got an 8 hour trip to make, and of course it's gonna rain, and my old suit has had it(stearns) quality seems good, will report back.

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I don't see where you mentioned what jacket you are using. Some have actual gor-tex brand membrane and others are different. What do you have?
It is a BMW TourShell jacketjacket, what I like about it is that it is cut a little long so it works better with my generous physique (a little over weight) by not riding up and exposing the area between pants and coat.

Gerhard

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is a BMW TourShell jacketjacket, what I like about it is that it is cut a little long so it works better with my generous physique (a little over weight) by not riding up and exposing the area between pants and coat. Gerhard
That's why I went with the FroggTogg bibs - they just don't make their jackets long enough for those of us with less than svelte physiques ... ;-) Either a 3/4 length jacket or bibs is about the only solution I've found to solve that problem that doesn't involve a four letter work - 'diet'. :D And notice the first three letters of that word is 'die' ....

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I didn't remember what photo you were talking about...but it is all coming back to me now! As I recall, that was the day we had to work our way around a tree across #118, which was a few hours after you had some Parks Canada guys kindly offer some jumbo zip ties to keep the front end of your bike together.

One lesser known advantage of oversized rain gear - besides the extra visibility - is the speed with which you can don it over damp riding gear:)

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keep in mind there are different models / types of Frogg-Toggs. Some are made for cyclists and others are for fishermen or other users. Riding puts a lot of stress on the fabric. Also ones for motorcycling have a hoodie. Go to their web site and see the differences before just buying the sporting goods one. It may not work as well as the ones made for bikers.
Dave, I vote (Because I can, & it is the right thing to do!) for the motorcycle version of Frogg Toggs.

I got mine from M&E Honda last year, & I've been out in quite a bit of rain this year. Really great so far, & it does have the hood, in case you need it. It folds & stores into its own place in the back neck area. Mine also has reflective stripes in several areas. Mix & match what ever you need, they have several still on hand. Buy pants & jacket, you get a very nice bag to put them in.

Love them!

Gary.

st1300doug

And....now.....Toggs have that nice new 'wick-a-way" center for the pants.

Attachments

Bike
2005 Concours
Frogg Toggs....100%. I just got home, yesterday, from NC & TN, and spent many miles in down pours. DRY! Also, Tuesday the temps dropped quite a bit, and leaving my heated liner at home, I used the jacket as a windbreaker and it kept the chill out. That, allowed me to make it home after dark.

Great product!

Top Bottom