Versys 650 LT

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I went from a Versys 650 to the ST1300 two years ago. I could not bring myself to sell the Versys for 2 years. It is a fabulous bike. I got off with a smile on my face everyday. It is a great commuter bike, but pop a couple of side bags on and a top box and it becomes quite a confident touring bike as well. I finally sold it b/c my wife enjoys riding two up and I could not give the Versys the attention it deserved. I can see myself buying another one in three years time as a " play bike".
Great thread.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I went from a Versys 650 to the ST1300 two years ago. I could not bring myself to sell the Versys for 2 years. It is a fabulous bike. I got off with a smile on my face everyday. It is a great commuter bike, but pop a couple of side bags on and a top box and it becomes quite a confident touring bike as well. I finally sold it b/c my wife enjoys riding two up and I could not give the Versys the attention it deserved. I can see myself buying another one in three years time as a " play bike".
Great thread.
What year was your Versys?

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I had a candy burnt orange 2007 Versys, the fastest color!! Miss it already. I rebadged it to a Moto Guzzi. I dropped it and scratched one of the fairings. New fairing did not come with stickers. Kawasaki sticker was $20. Moto Guzzi stickers on e bay were $0.99. That got a lot of looks.

Attachments

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Finally adjusted the chain at 4400 miles and gave it a good cleaning. It was just slightly in need of adjusting. Forgot how nice a clean and tightened chain feels when riding. Rode almost 200 miles of lonely twisty roads this morning before the heat of the day. Had a wonderful breakfast at the Blue Mountain Cafe on the square in Jasper.

Man, I love riding this bike!
Mike

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Nice set up. I went with the Givi V47 top case which is the same as the Kawasaki branded case just about $150 cheaper.

Mike
Hi Mike,

What rack did you install for your top case? Kawasaki OEM, or GIVI? Both are about $200, just curious as to which one you chose and why?
Thanks
Kevin

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Did another oil change at 7500 miles. Switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. Cleaned and adjusted the chain and cleaned the bike. Southern Virginia dirt roads are limestone.....a white motor on a black bike looks kind of funny. She's ready to go again......so am I.

On my last trip I heard a change in exhaust note while cruising on the interstate. It sounded like it had a hole in the exhaust or something.....it was a quite noticeable change in sound. Needless to say, I was concerned. However, the bike started in a half turn and ran fine. Spoke with my local mechanic and he said it was probably packing or something inside the exhaust that moved. They were kind enough to roll a new Versys off of the showroom floor and start it up next to mine. Mine still sounded slightly different but not by much. I guess whatever moved initially had moved back in place. All is well.

Still loving this bike. Did an 850 mile day from VA back to AR and was as comfortable riding the Versys as I was on my ST, RT or Tenere. I enjoyed it much better in the twisties of WV and VA much better than any of those three also. I sure enjoy having a lighter bike that is soooooo nimble and tours with the best of them. It's a great do-all street bike.

I'm still averaging about 43 mpg on the interstate and 53 on two-lane roads burning 87 octane.
Mike

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
On my last trip I heard a change in exhaust note while cruising on the interstate. It sounded like it had a hole in the exhaust or something.....it was a quite noticeable change in sound. Needless to say, I was concerned.
Ear plugs getting loose? Ear popping from barometric pressure change? Wind causing helmet or body position to shift? Riding through a canyon? Catching up with an HD flock?

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Ear plugs getting loose? Ear popping from barometric pressure change? Wind causing helmet or body position to shift? Riding through a canyon? Catching up with an HD flock?
No to all. I could tell a difference while idling the day it happened. After that I couldn't tell if it got better or I got used to the change in sound. That's why I had the dealer test another bike. My mind was telling me that the noise improved........my rational part of the brain (small, yes, I know) was telling me I was forgetting how it sounded before.
Mike

Last edited:

Lost Dutchman

Joe M.
STOC #
Mike,
I was wondering how you like the luggage?
Enough room to pack a helmet or jacket?
Room for a multiple day trip? (excluding camping gear)

I've been looking , but haven't decided if I would go with the LT and the Kawi. luggage or the base model and get aftermarket racks and bags.

Thanks
Joe

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Luggage is fine for me but I've become somewhat minimalist in my packing. I also have a Givi V46 top case for touring. A viable option would be to buy the base Versys without luggage and hand guards and add Givi luggage or whatever brand tickles your fancy. You still get the benefit of the upgraded Versys with more luggage options.

To be honest, I haven't tried to fit my helmet or jacket in the side cases. I'm pretty sure they would both fit. I know the helmet will fit in the top case.

My last camping trip I put everything into the three bags except my tent and chair, which were strapped to the pillion seat. My top case was half full and the panniers were filled with stuff. I didn't take any food or cooking gear, just normal camping gear.

I've moto-camped a total of 17 days on the bike and with laundry stops and unlimited funds, I could keep going forever.........theoretically anyway.
Mike

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've moto-camped a total of 17 days on the bike and with laundry stops and unlimited funds, I could keep going forever.........theoretically anyway.
Mike
Well theoretically you could also pay my way on this forever trip. When do we leave?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I was wondering how you like the luggage?
Enough room to pack a helmet or jacket?
Joe
I checked that out on the showroom floor. The '15-'16 Versys panniers hold my Shoei Multitec modular helmet, with my Sena on it, no problem. For reference, the panniers on my ST11 cannot do this, even without my Sena.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
There was a beautiful Orange 650 LT at my local dealer that kept catching my eye. I finally broke down and took it out for a spin with the intention of trading in my DL on it. I had a price in mind and my papers in hand, ready to make the exchange. I loved the motor, and handling! Don't know how one can ride the speed limit on this thing it was pure fun! But alas after 20 miles I started squirming didn't like the peg to shifter position, after 40 miles I headed back to the dealer. I put 60 miles on during my test ride and really tried to love this bike but couldn't. I never got that "I gotta have one of these" feeling like I did the first time I Rode Della's DL.
I thanked my dealer for letting me ride the bike, it still love it's look, motor, and handeling but we just didn't fit! i would have had buyers remorse for sure! I've rode the DL quite a bit since then and for me it is a much more comfortable and almost just as good in the twisties. I'm upgrading the suspension on the DL and keep it as my light camping short distance touring bike.
If it fits you you will like the LT it just didn't work for me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I checked that out on the showroom floor. The '15-'16 Versys panniers hold my Shoei Multitec modular helmet, with my Sena on it, no problem. For reference, the panniers on my ST11 cannot do this, even without my Sena.
For reference my Shoei Neotec modular with a Sena 20 on it will fit in the RH pannier of my ST1300. It only fits one way as the inner side of the pannier has a recessed area that gives the Sena clearance to fit. The Versys panniers are capacious to fit a bulky helmet like this.

Top Bottom