New Member of the Tip Over Club

Bike
2005 ST1300
Sorry to report I've added my name to the list of Tip Over Club members.

I was riding yesterday (Saturday of the Memorial Day Weekend) and overthinking a 120 degree turn onto a downhill grade, cambered to my right. Unbelievably, I stalled it facing downhill and just rolled over right. Fortunately, the Bigdawg rear bar kept the bike off my legs so I wasn't trapped, and just bruised my hip, pulled some back muscles and bruised my right hand.

Could have been so much worse. Had I been close to the guardrail, I would have been driven into it by the bike mass and a whole range of possible nasty injuries. On balance, or loss of balance, not too bad.

I was lucky that two guys stopped to help me upright the bike. I hope I thanked them enough. I could have picked it up on the level, but I surveyed the scene where my bike was down with the nose facing downhill on a slant down in the direction of tip-over and wondered how the heck I'd get it upright.

All said and done, the only permanent damage (besides loss of paint on the rear bars and loss of plastic off the front bar cover) was the fracture of my right side mirror and maybe distortion to the retaining clips holding the mirror cover on. No other damage - very sweet - and (surprising to me) no bending or distortion to the Bigdawg rear bar, just paint loss.

I've a bit achy today, but my ego has taken the worst beating.

IBG

Bike
st1300
Welcome to the "Club". Those Bygdawg tip over bars are probably the best addition I have made to the Pan. I have found that when you horizontally park the bike there are many people who come to your aid - bikers or not. Quite reassuring really !!

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks guys.

No stake in Bigdawg, but I am impressed that they don't bend or distort when called into service.

Top Bottom