Where should I stick my poles?

I've got most of my camping stuff squeezed into the STs boxes, but my tent poles are too long. Can you buy shorter sectioned ones (that are the same overall length), or is there some storage solution that all those in the know are aware of?

My own thoughts are a tube under the back of the top box and somehow under the seat- I haven't started properly exploring either option yet.

Thoughts?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I've seen some riders use 3" plumbing abs pipe that have screw caps at either end. They hose clamp it to the bottom of the top box rack

Bike
2010 ST1300
I carry my tent (with poles) in a duffel bag strapped to the pillion seat. This might make it a bit uncomfortable for a passenger. I saw a picture of said PVC pipe strapped to a rack on top of the top box. What you do is cut your pvc pipe to length, glue a pipe cap on one end (this closes it off) and a female adapter to the other end. A screw in plug closes this end off. Alternatively, you can use the f.a. on both ends. Since you are going to this much trouble, you might investigate after market tent poles. You might be able to find some in shorter sections with an overall length equal to your oem poles.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Boy, that thread title sure opens you up for it!!! If this was ADV, the thread would be 10 pages long already & headed for the basement. :locked:locked:twist1::twist1::censored Good thing you're where you are...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I don't know if you can find the same service across the pond; but, this place will make them for you. LINKY

Bike
2010 ST1300
Boy, that thread title sure opens you up for it!!! If this was ADV, the thread would be 10 pages long already & headed for the basement. :locked:locked:twist1::twist1::censored Good thing you're where you are...
Of course we all saw it, but why be stupid about it? The OP clearly has a reasonable question. Btw, your avatar is no longer stable - it wavers horizontally (right to left). Is that my pewter or the coding for your picture of a great awk (cassowary?).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't know if you can find the same service across the pond; but, this place will make them for you. LINKY
+1 or buy a different tent with shorter poles. I typically have my tent and poles together on a duffle bag on the back seat but still always look for poles that are no more than 18" long.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
This is not a ST mount, but it might give you some ideas.
This is 4inch diameter pipe. I capped the lower end and put a threaded plug on the other.
Not hard to make. Hardest thing is figuring how/where to mount.
CAM00241.jpg
CAM00242.jpg
CAM00265.jpg
CAM00267.jpg

Hope maybe this will help or give you some more ideas. Good Luck!
Ride Safe.

OP
OP
I was aware of the possible suggestions- it was a tongue in cheek title.

Just a quick follow up. Firstly, thank you to all that replied.

In the end, I ordered up some spare poles, then after a surprising amount of necessary calculation, turned 8 long poles, into 10 shorter ones. So, the poles now fit in my top box :)

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've got most of my camping stuff squeezed into the STs boxes, but my tent poles are too long. Can you buy shorter sectioned ones (that are the same overall length), or is there some storage solution that all those in the know are aware of?

My own thoughts are a tube under the back of the top box and somehow under the seat- I haven't started properly exploring either option yet.

Thoughts?
It's possible you could assemble you own poles from sorter lengths to fit your tent. It's not as pricey as you'd think. Here's one source aluminum and fiberglass: http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
I read this thread just to see the lack of constraint. Much to my surprise!! everyone has been a Gentlemen. Glad to see you found a solution.
My tent fits in the cases, poles and all.

Top Bottom