ST1100 Recommendations: Shock, Windscreen

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Hello all, I have a 1990 ST1100 with 94000km, which I have recently restored from a non-running condition.

It has what I believe is the stock windscreen with two cut-out vents. I find this to be really noisy around my helmet at practically any open-road speed, seems to aim the air right at the upper edge of my visor. I'm otherwise happy with the protection the screen offers, but would like something that is smoother and quieter, but still of a similar height as I don't wish to look through it. What is a good alternative screen?

IMG_2532 (2).jpg

The bike is also on it's original shock, and while it is oil-tight and has reasonable damping left, the spring does appear to have sacked out, and I am bashing the undercarriage more than I should on bumpy bends; if I keep doing this I'm going to have no centrestand left! Can someone recommend a good alternative for me? The Progressive 465 looks like a good price, is this a good reliable choice? I don't carry a pillion or heavy loads, but I do like to keep up a brisk pace on our nice windy roads.

Thanks for your thoughts.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Several windshields available here in the states, but not sure what you have access to. I have 4 different windshields, each used for one purpose or another. You might like the Laminar Lip setup, which is available in different heights, and the "Lip" aids in making a nice pocket of air for your helmet. There are also Clearview, which I have a tall/wide one with vent that works well for two-up. As with many MC options, what works best for me may not work well for you.

For the shock: I am done with Progressive. I called to have my older shock rebuilt (one of the reasons I bought it) only to be told that parts were no longer available for it, but how about a NEW "rebuildable" shock?? NO THANKS! How long before parts are NLA for those??

Now I'm looking at a Works Performance shock. Hagon may be an option for you, too.

Let us know what you decide!

You might want to look at Race Tech for suspension solutions, they can rebuild your shock or sell you their custom shock. For the screen some like the adjustable extension spoilers that clamp on top of the shield which can also be used to direct air directly at your helmet/face for the very hot rides. If you ride with a half helmet you could also buy any brand of shield that is high enough to direct the air over your head. I have used Rifle, Clearview and CEEBailey. All good but you will be the judge.

STOC #
I just removed my Progressive 465 intending to have it serviced again. Has about 100K miles with a service by Progressive at about 50K. Installing to OEM shock has opened my eyes again to the STock Shock problem. In short, yes the 465 shock is well worth the $, IMHO. STock Shock Sux. In addition, I have been very happy with the Laminar Lip combo. It has been worth the $ and it too has about 100K miles & has wore well. http://www.laminarlip.com/st1100.php

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I have the Laminar lip combo as well NOT the Cafe combo, I tried that and it was terrible. It put the wind sheer right at my throat.
So... Full size Laminar lip combo is the way to go for good protection and reasonable wind noise.
BTW 6'4" with Corbin Dual canyon Saddle and 2 inch risers YMMV

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks all for the feedback. I have ordered a Progressive shock, looks pretty hard to beat for the price, and anything will be better that the cruddy old one that is on there. I'm undecided on the screen at this point and will just keep using good earplugs for now.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I am done with Progressive. I called to have my older shock rebuilt (one of the reasons I bought it) only to be told that parts were no longer available for it, but how about a NEW "rebuildable" shock??
Pat, I'm guessing this was pre- 465 series? Did they they say it would be rebuildable when you got it?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Pat, I'm guessing this was pre- 465 series? Did they they say it would be rebuildable when you got it?
Dean, Yes IIRC it is a 435 series, it was marketed as a rebuildable shock. I mean, what does it take to rebuild a shock? A seal or two, maybe some O rings, little bit of oil... To me it's just a BS way to sell new shocks. Will likely go with a Works shock. You could probably send Works a shock from 1986 and get it rebuilt.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2000 ST1100A 94K miles.
I went with a Penske, lots more $ than a progressive, but in the past used Progressive shocks on two K100's and they were great.
On the front of the ST1100 I went with the Traxion Dynamics cartridges and replacement springs. I Really like the combo with the Penske. The suspension was set up by one of the vendors I know from the track.

Windscreen. On my third try I have the short, sport, Lamilar Lip screen to get my nose in the breeze and a C Bailey +4" tall and +4" wide, jor touring where weather might be encountered. It serves me well as I am 5'10" with riser bars giving me an upright seated position.

Oh, and welcome to the family.
Jim

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Well this turned up today and fitted up very easily, although getting the lower bolt to slide in/out was a little irksome. Based on a bounce test in the garage I have wound a fair number of turns of preload into the shock so the spring free length is now 180mm, which gives just a little free sag (bike only), and I have not attempted to measure rider sag. Certainly a beautiful looking piece of gear, and looks to have a wide range of rebound adjustment, although again based on feel in the garage, I have left it on 1 for now.
IMG_2604.jpgIMG_2607.jpg

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
As you have the shock sorted out I'll recommend the laminar lip combo as well.
However; before you spend the money on the combo (and shipping) you might try a diy lip.
Cardboard with tape will give you a feel for what it'll do for you.
I found the lip combo throws the wind to the top of my helmet giving me a much smoother airflow.
I still wear ear plugs though...

Good luck!

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Mark, that is a good suggestion.

For anyone looking to buy a Progressive Shock, I bought mine from Speedaddicts.com via ebay, and can't speak highly enough for their service and speed. And they were the cheapest! Don't often get that lucky.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Several windshields available here in the states, but not sure what you have access to. I have 4 different windshields, each used for one purpose or another. You might like the Laminar Lip setup, which is available in different heights, and the "Lip" aids in making a nice pocket of air for your helmet. There are also Clearview, which I have a tall/wide one with vent that works well for two-up. As with many MC options, what works best for me may not work well for you.

For the shock: I am done with Progressive. I called to have my older shock rebuilt (one of the reasons I bought it) only to be told that parts were no longer available for it, but how about a NEW "rebuildable" shock?? NO THANKS! How long before parts are NLA for those??

Now I'm looking at a Works Performance shock. Hagon may be an option for you, too.

Let us know what you decide!
I recently spoke to Works Performance on the phone. The guy claimed that all their products were "custom." I was NOT impressed. They seem to be "reinventing the wheel" & overpriced. Why not just buy an OEM (Honda) rear shock for an ST1100?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Why not just buy an OEM (Honda) rear shock for an ST1100?
My Honda stock st1100 shock was toast way before I replaced it at 47000 miles.
My HyperPro shock and spring is still going strong with double that mileage...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A little late to the party - Works Pro Racer for the rears of my three ST1100s. And I just contacted them and they can rebuild them (I have one with a bunch of miles that's turned into a pogo stick. ;-)) Clearview GEN III XL on all three as well since I'm a little tall.

OP
OP
TerryS
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I got out on my ST11 over the weekend and put about 300 km on the new shock. Certainly a night and day difference from the old shock, even on the lowest rebound setting there is none of the wallowy vagueness that I was getting, and I have a heap more ground clearance, which will help the life of my boots and centrestand. The ride is firmer but in a good way, so I'm 100% pleased with my shock decision. Now for a new front tyre...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Glad it made a difference, in good way!
I felt the same sort of change and loved it too.

Top Bottom