Tires and GPS mounts

I sure the answers are buried here somewhere but..... The dreaded tire thread. I just purchased a 06 with 770 miles. Pretty much a brand new 10 year old bike. On this groups advice I'm changing the fluids. I'm struggling a bit with replacing the tires as they look and feel just like new tires. I suspect that they just won't have the grip of a newer tire. Without that said, I am more concerned with grip and handling than high mileage. If I get 5000 miles I'm OK with that. Suggestions?
Also what do You suggest for GPS mounts?
Thanks,
Aairbike

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If the tires don't have any cracks, dry-rot, I'd run them to they are at the wear indicators.

For GPS mounts... big open ended question. What GPS do you have, where do you like to look, prominent on the line of sight or more off the side? If just looking for brand suggestion the majority of use probably use the Ram, ball mounts.

For my normal daily commuting I put the phone/GPS low between the handlebars on a ram ball mounted there. I primarily use the voice and depend on it for traffic routing and don't really look at the screen.
For major long distance trips I put a Nuvi GPS on top of the dash in the line of sight, phone/secondary gps (with traffic and voice prompts when I am in a strange city) goes over to the right handlebar (brake reservoir cover).

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'd be wary of ten year old tires. They may be fine, but how much risk do you want to take for $350? New tires will also perform better than the OEM that came on the bike. Get some Michelin PR4GTs and you're good for 10K+ of good handling.

As far as GPS mounting, I suggest a dash shelf (Fletcher?) or other mount (Migsel?) that will place the GPS in your line of sight. Mounting it on one of the master cylinder tops or on a handlebar riser will force you to look down when you ought to have your eyes on the road. I use mine as a more accurate speedometer, in addition to the navigation function.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
An '07 with only 770mi on the clock! AWESOME? Was it ridden by a little ol' lady from Pasadena and only to church on Sundays? AWESOME! I'd recommend not mounting a GPS on the tires but that's just me.

Maybe a member has one of the RIBS (?) mounts for sale. It puts a RAM ball (or three) up front on the dash which would be my preference. The vendor has retired so new kit is unlikely.

But a lot of guys do use the clutch/brake reservoirs instead without any problems to speak of especially if the GPS has turn by turn directions and a big screen.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If the tires don't have any cracks, dry-rot, I'd run them to they are at the wear indicators.
that would be my vote too. At least give them a try and see if you can feel anything unusual about them before replacing them.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I have a ram ball mount on my dash. I have a gar in mounted there it is just below my line of sight but I can see it and the road. I too use the gps speedo much easier to see than the factory and more accurate.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I know this does not answer your question, but I've drooled over the touratech gps mounts ever since I first saw one. They are machined, anodized aluminum with a multi-pin quick connector, locking and a quick dismount feature.

The advantages are obvious, the disadvantages are, the mount might not accept your phone; cost; since the phone is locked in getting it out at the end of the ride is not convenient; cost; the mount is big and comparatively heavy; cost; and it is absurdly expensive. On the other hand, you get what you pay for, and I have seen quite a few of these on expensive bikes (read BMW's). For a top of the line Zumo, they make sense. For a multi day ride, if it fit my phone and I could afford it, I'd give it serious consideration.

Top Bottom