2016 BMW 1200RT

Bike
2010 ST1300
I am very good friends with a local Yammy Dealer/owner, goes back to childhood... even he won't let me test ride. (And I've been on him every chance I get...) I wonder if it's a directive from corporate. Sad though, they'd surely get more sales. I bet Kendoo would have let you take his for a ride once he took delivery though!
I have to assume that the manufacturer is not willing to give the dealer's a break on the price of one or more bikes so that the dealer can offer them as demo bikes. Once it has miles on the odo, the value drops and absent said allowance from the mfr, the dealer eats the loss. A Moto Guzzi dealer was telling me how corporate gives him an allowance and he built the lower profit on a few bikes into his business plan.

I agree with you - no test rides has to mean fewer sales.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think the difficulty with test rides is that riders that haven't been on a bike for years but still have the motorcycle endorsement would show up and take a bike out and crash it. Last August I was in having my bike serviced and at the same time a guy that hadn't ridden since before his adult children where born picked up his new used bike and he crashed in the first curve a few kilometres from the dealer.

Gerhard

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think the difficulty with test rides is that riders that haven't been on a bike for years but still have the motorcycle endorsement would show up and take a bike out and crash it. Last August I was in having my bike serviced and at the same time a guy that hadn't ridden since before his adult children where born picked up his new used bike and he crashed in the first curve a few kilometres from the dealer.

Gerhard
Not to hijack this thread, but the dealer carries insurance. And people get in accidents with new demo cars. But the bottom line is if we cannot test drive them, there will be fewer sales. I've always thought test rides of high end bikes were dangerous - to my wallet.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Scooter
Unfortunately our dealer on Silver Spring does have a RT demo. My youngest pick up his S1000 R in April and took to Tail of the Dragon in May. I see that stinking BMW logo every morning when I hop on my ST. Last Saturday they had their Vintage bike show. Had to go inside to escape the poor music outside. Sat on a K1200 GTL. Should not have done that. There's another option for us in the Great White North. If escape to the South, rent a bike. Cheated on my ST with a 2013 R120 RT. Scooter do you frequent Quaker Steak bike night in New Berlin. Been there twice now. Great food and good mix of bikes and people. Will be there next week. Weather looks great for the next week. Maybe I see you there.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Scooter do you frequent Quaker Steak bike night in New Berlin. Been there twice now. Great food and good mix of bikes and people. Will be there next week. Weather looks great for the next week. Maybe I see you there.
Been to the Two wheeled Tuesdays at the Culver's over on 124th & Capitol a few times over the years but haven't made it the Quaker State joint yet. If I remember about it maybe I'll stop by next week...

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a 2016 blue RT coming in the next couple of days. Really looking forward to riding a BMW.
Still need to sell the ST and Super Tenere to make room in the garage.

Last edited:

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Hi Randy,

I went with ilium works engine guards bars and wunderlich pannier bars and clearwaters Erica and Darla light
Nice looking RT, makes me miss our '13 but I've ridden the new ones and they're so much nicer. Curious as to why you mounted both of the CW's down low? We had the Ericas mounted much higher on the RT as well as our three current bikes and will soon be mounting some on the ST.

Top Bottom