Coolant Leak !!!!! HA!!!!!

Hazel Green AL hot and sticky with twisters
Bike
now 06 ST1300A,
I go my 06 1300A last fall with 12,000 miles and no service history I put about 2,000 miles on it

I changed oil and Rear Diif fluid right away

It was a long cold winter here at 7400' in Colo I was scheduled for neck disc surgery at the end of March (so I would miss most of the snow removal). So on a nice weekend in Janr I decided to flush the coolant and replace some hose-claps with updated ones. With help of a friend I did just that. Fired it up to 3 bars no leaks...ate lunch to let it cool and fired it back up to 3 bars no leaks. good deal.

I fired it up evey couple weeks all winter and after my surgery...no helmets for 3 months...I am due to see the Dr. 1st week in July and be cleared for riding again ..yeah

Today I fire it up while tinkering with yard work, up to 3 bars and fan on OK.....what dripping from under the body work??????????

I let it cool and fire it up this PM back to 3 bars and cooling fan.....no drips what gives????

would you tear it apart again or say screw it and just start riding in July???

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I fired it up evey couple weeks all winter and after my surgery...
Don't do that. Unless you're getting it up to operating temperature and riding it more than a few miles, you're doing more harm than good.

Today I fire it up while tinkering with yard work, up to 3 bars and fan on OK.....what dripping from under the body work??????????

I let it cool and fire it up this PM back to 3 bars and cooling fan.....no drips what gives????
Leaky hose clamps on the thermostat housing or under the throttle bodies. Very common problem; happens because the steel in the clamps and the aluminum in the fittings don't expand and contract at the same rate.

--Mark

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, if it were me, since it's already buttoned up, I would ride it and keep an eye out. If it still leaks, then I'd go into it. But that's just me.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If it is only a few drops and only when it is cold I support you- screw it and ride! Mine did the same thing as do many ST1300's. I rode mine like that for a year before I was able to go in and tighten the clamps. The leak was so insignificant I only added to the overflow reservoir once in the whole year and it was only a small amount. If yours is similar go out and enjoy it and fix it during next winters lay up- you have earned some riding time!

Top Bottom