Article INNOVV K1 2-channel video camera install

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Don't forget to take pictures while you are working on it!
Be careful what you ask for...

INNOVV K1 2-channel Video Camera Installation

As promised, my experience with installing the INNOVV K1 2-channel video camera. There are lots of pictures, mostly annotated; I'll try to keep the narrative part relatively brief.

Background

On paper at least, this is exactly the video system I've been waiting for. It has all the features I want and at a price that makes it affordable.

Judging by the number of comments on this thread, evidently there's some pent-up interest from others as well. This post will describe the basic installation as I experienced it, plus a few other notes. I expect to write a full review of the product itself after I've had a chance to use it for a while.

Ordering, Shipping, and Receiving

INNOVV is located in China. I ordered directly from the website and, after a couple of emails to provide a phone number for DHL's records, the dingus was on its way to me. The order was placed on a Saturday; the unit arrived the following Friday. Not altogether bad considering it traversed half the globe in the process. Also, in addition to the automated confirmations of ordering and shipping, the CEO / main guy took the time to write me personally and encourage me to share my experiences with others. They are trying to build a community of users, somewhat like the ST-Owners except without the forum (or Mellow).

The thing was well-wrapped and arrived in excellent condition.

My first view of the product left a favorable impression of tidiness and careful thought.

Digging more deeply, all the bits seemed to be in place.

I need to dig more deeply to see if there's any more extensive user's guide- the one-page Quick Start doesn't fully get the job done. [EDIT: Nope- that was it.]

It seemed as though there were a LOT of cables but, by jingo, every one of them has a purpose.

Getting Down To It

I started the installation process itself with some recon, looking for suitable places to put all the bits. First off, of course, was where the cameras would be located. At the front, I wanted something out of the way, visually unobstructed, and partially sheltered. I don't ask for much, do I?

After some hemming and hawing I settled on a spot just off the center line and just behind the point of the front fairing. It's not clear to me that this is really the optimum location due to possible whackage against the front fender but it had all the other attributes I was looking for and I was getting impatient. Time to break out some tools, and what better place to start than with the set I keep on the bike for emergency purposes? It has an assortment of sockets, a very compact drive for them, various screw driver and Torx bits, box end and open end wrenches ; everything a body needs, right? [EDIT: this turned out to be a bad choice for two reasons. 1-- the double-sided adhesive strip wasn't up to the task. 2-- the camera did actually make contact with the top of the front fender, leaving a bunch of scratches... argh.]

Signal cable routing

I started by raising the upper fuel tank (8, 10 mm sockets plus driver and extension, 10 mm open end wrench) to expose the frame and show where the wire might run without getting broiled on the engine or pinched somewhere along the way back. The route came through the forks, under the projection that holds the fairing in place, and so on aft. It quickly became apparent that I was going to need the fish tape. Trip #1 down to the tool storage area to root around in the gigantic debris field...
The fish tape did the trick and the signal cable was duly routed. I left plenty of slack at the front, so that I’d have maximum flexibility when it came time to actually place the camera.

(LATER)

The next task was to actually mount the camera. As I mentioned, the target was somewhere near the centerline and just back from the nose of the fairing. There are no holes or existing bolts in that area to use for piggybacking the L bracket onto, but I was not interested in using the adhesive mounts directly onto the camera body because that would leave zero adjustment. (TIP: as soon as the recorder gets power it starts, so if you have something with a USB port bring it with you and plug the DVR in so that you can actually see the picture you will be getting while you are setting up.)

The thing does not come with any extra mounting brackets or screws or anything by way of mounting hardware- just the two L brackets and a pair of very stubby 4 mm hex head bolts (plus washers) to go with them. Those bolts connect the camera to the mount but it’s totally on you to find a way to attach the whole shebang to the bike. If you have an assortment of modest-sized nuts, bolts, nylocks, lock washers, flat washers, and Loctite lying around bring it with you to the installation site. The slots on the L brackets will accept a 4mm bolt but not a 5.

There are threaded holes on three sides of the camera housing, giving you lots of options in terms of what orientation you want the camera and where the signal cable points. No need to worry about which way is up- the DVR is supposed to be able to translate the image as needed (though I have not yet found the secret for doing that).

Some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel cleaned the underside of the fairing, then the adhesive pad went into place right on the centerline. There’s a nice flat area there so that the camera will mount level. [EDIT: THIS IS A BAD PLACEMENT...]

It looks (I hope) like there is enough clearance to avoid getting into space trouble on anything other than a huge impact.

The instructions say the adhesive needs 24 hours to really cure; I hope it holds. [EDIT: NOPE. It didn't hold, and it dinged up the top of my front fender to boot.

Having got the front camera placed, it was time to change ends. There is a lot of open area available and I considered several options. My bike has a GIVI mount and also an Admore light bar right underneath it. The first thought was to stick the camera right under the light bar.

But, while I was working on getting the DVR sited and connected the camera fell off three times in ten minutes; clearly an alternate strategy was required. Re-inspecting the area I realized that the mount for the Admore has open slots right out in the open and easily accessible; all that was needed was some junk box hardware to attach it. I’ll put some blue Loctite on that bolt when I’m wrapping up.

With both cameras in place it was time to move on to the DVR and power converter placement. That in turn meant connecting the signal leads to establish the reach. There is plenty of length so you will have lots of options, even if you snake the front along the frame and through the square seat supports then under the grab rail as I did.

Two winters ago I installed a fuse block and ground strip, along with the usual 30A relay triggered from a tap into a switched circuit, giving me exactly what was needed to bring power to the DVR. However, the power converter comes with ring terminals as shipped so it took some minor surgery to swap those out for one spade connector and one flat Y connector.

Since I had them on hand, I used a couple Posi-Lock connectors and added about a foot of wire to the leads. This was not because I really needed it but it preserves the maximum length of OEM lead. A bit of heat shrink tubing should eliminate any chance of trouble from moisture, although truth to tell there better not ever be any moisture in that area, ever, or I have more serious problems.

Even with all the stuff I have crammed in there, there is plenty of space in the tail for both the power converter and the DVR in its pouch. (Mine is a non-ABS model; I think the ABS control unit eats into this space if you have it but it’s probably still sufficient.)

Spanky Lives

Making the connections to the DVR is very simple. Each incoming cable is labeled and there is a very clear diagram in the instructions that shows schematically where they go and how they connect. The hardest part is actually reading the labels printed on the DVR itself but you almost don’t need them because the instructions are so clear.
I wanted to see some results so I connected everything and fired up the bike. Spanky lives!

Finally, it was time to locate the GPS/speaker and wired “remote” DVR control. After a lot of fiddling around and holding the units up to get a visual, I stuck the GPS on the right side of the top of the dash, in the protected area right behind the windshield. The control unit went next to the buttons on the left side of the dash that control the clock and fuel readouts.

I’ll use the supplied cable routing clips liberally to secure the wires along the route, particularly on the dash area and as they pass between the frame and the air box (I’ll get to raise the tank again to run them; oh joy).

I ran the incoming cables through the straps on the back of the pouch then up to the DVR. Close up the flap on the pouch, tuck everything away, and presto! the install is complete except for final cable routing and tie ups from the GPS and control. Overall, the install was a pretty easy task and not a wrestling match. There is no need to remove any Tupperware, drill any holes, or do anything else dramatic.

Wrap-up

It took longer than it needed for me to do this, since I was feeling my way at every step and pondering what to do. Handier, more clever people such as yourselves will take only an hour or two, probably, especially since you will not make umpty-ump trips between the work area and your tool storage.

Tools

Since I do not have a moto-accessible workshop or garage I have to bring the tools to the bike, which I inevitably seem to do one at a time. When everything was said and done I had about half the workshop up there, or so it seemed. The list included:

• fish tape
  • 1/4" socket driver
  • Assorted sockets (specifically 8, 10 mm) and extensions
  • 4/5/6 mm "Y" style hex head wrench with Bondhus (rounded) tips
  • razor knife
  • small jeweler's tool set
  • pliers
  • 8, 10 mm open end and box end wrenches (part of what I keep on the bike)
  • #1 Phillips head screw driver
  • Assortment of nuts, bolts, and washers
  • heat gun
  • wire cutters
  • wire strippers
  • needle nose pliers
  • channel lock pliers
  • probably some other stuff I forgot about
Sorry about the length but I hope this helps any of the rest of you who choose this product.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great install, I made it its own thread. Thanks!

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thanks Mellow. I was looking to see if I could make an article of it but this should do the job.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Mellow. I was looking to see if I could make an article of it but this should do the job.
Only Admin/Mods can move to the article section to make sure less comprehensive threads don't all get created here. I just moved this one so it's now an official Article.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith, great job on the install and thanks for the LOTS of Pictures! :D

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
A couple of updates and additions.

1 - I was right. The double-sided adhesive pad was not, on its own, enough to hold the front camera. The cam fell off this evening. So now I have the bracket super-glued to the adhesive pad. We will see how that goes.

2 - No pictures to show for it (yet) but I spent this evening tidying up the cable runs from the front camera, GPS, and remote control. Part of the process was to use vinyl tape every six inches or so to create a mini-harness rather than dealing with every cable individually. Where the cables split, I used the supplied cable clips to hold them in place, supplemented in places with good old black vinyl tape in places where it doesn't show or doesn't matter.

3 - The final routing from the front goes along the outer edge of the cast aluminum frame, under the tank and inside the right fairing. It exits at the rear end of the tank then dives under the frame member near the seat support before continuing on to the back end. A couple of zip ties secure it to the frame at strategic points.

I was glad to get the wires out of sight or managed neatly. The bike was beginning to take on an unkempt appearance with loose wires here and there and everywhere.

Cable routing is not a real good subject for photography, particularly when the bike is in an underlit carport at twilight and the cables and frame are all black. Take my word for it, though, everything is neat and tidy.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Update #2:

I think I know why my front camera image is always sideways. I mis-interpreted the INNOVV website which says clearly that you can FLIP (not ROTATE) images.

Since the front camera is mounted on its side, the image is always sideways. I will need to mount it vertically rather than horizontally, which will take care of that problem. I CAN say that the image FLIP mode does work- I was fooling with that yesterday and saw it reorient.

So the moral of the story is: mount the cameras with the long axis up and down, not horizontal, or be prepared to live with video rotated 90 degrees from what it ought to be.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Update #3

The front camera was dangling from its cable when I walked out to the parking structure after work yesterday. The super glue had held alright; the weak link was the bond between the 3M adhesive layer and its substrate. Peeled the sticky layer right off the foam. So now the mount has been re-attached directly to the foam. This will be the last time adhesives are involved; if it fails again it's drill and bolt, or maybe I will look into one of the optional mounts available from INNOVV.

The front camera has also now been re-oriented properly, instead of being on its side.

[EDIT: I lied. The camera did come loose again, and I re-re-attached it with quick-set cyanoacrylate glue again. I am starting to wonder, though, whether that type of glue might in fact be dissolving the foam. Next time it comes loose, as I expect it may, I will change the pad for a fresh one and use some epoxy to set the mount. Can you tell I really, REALLY do not want to start drilling holes in my bike?]

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I need to see some videos!
Patience, Grasshopper. :)

I got the RIGHT memory card yesterday (ordered a regular-sized SD card from Amazon instead of the micro-SD that is required- doh!) and tooled around the neighborhood a bit. Have not actually reviewed the results yet.

Each channel creates a separate file, so seeing front and rear shots simultaneously will take video editing software more capable than Windows Movie Maker, I think. Video editing can easily become a time-consuming activity.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
UPDATE #4

After a protracted wrestling match I have come to the conclusion that the double-sided adhesive pads supplied with the camera are inadequate to serve as the sole means of support, at least if you want to suspend a camera housing from them. I've already chronicled my initial failed attempts. Today I went for a ride and forgot to check the front camera before I left, since it had done alright last weekend. Silly me.

The intervening week saw no commuting; the bike just sat under its cover all week.

When I pulled the card and reviewed today's footage I discovered that I had shot nothing with the front camera other than the fork, front wheel, and pavement because the camera body was dangling from its cable and had come to rest against the fork and brake line. The failure point was again the interface between the pad core and the adhesive layer; this time it was the side adhered to the fairing that gave up the ghost since the other one had already given up.

So, I have reluctantly decided that the camera may need to get tucked in on the dashboard behind the windshield. Although that will offer a modicum of extra protection from dirt and bugs, it also means a loss of resolution since it will now be shooting through the windshield material plus of course the windshield itself will accumulate the dirt and bugs that were otherwise destined for the camera lens itself.

I could, I suppose, mount it ahead of the windshield but that offends my delicate sense of aesthetics (yes I wrote that with a straight face... :) ).

So, we will see what we will see.

In the meantime: does anyone have a recommended / favorite video editing app that can do either side-by-side and / or picture-in-picture overlays? I'd like to be able to show both front and rear images at points in any video I am energetic enough to produce.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
I could, I suppose, mount it ahead of the windshield but that offends my delicate sense of aesthetics (yes I wrote that with a straight face...
The aesthetics force is strong in this one. That's a good thing. I don't begrudge those who put functionality ahead of form at all costs. But aesthetics is sometime as if not more important to me.

I wasn't sure if you had tried 3M moulding adhesive. Another member has used it to secure some metal-framed LEDs to the sides of the tupperware next to the engine. In spite of heat and time they're holding solid. The lights probably weigh close to if not more than your cameras.

You could also use a couple teeny-tiny screws/nuts/bolts in addition to an adhesive of choice. I really like the mounting position under the headlight and wouldn't be opposed to a couple of tiny holes if needed to use it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I went back and reread your article. You mention 3M double-sided adhesive and I don't know if that's the same stuff as I'm thinking of. 3M also made a yellow very viscose adhesive for weather stripping maybe. I knew people who swore by its strength. Superglue didn't seem like a good choice as I doubt its ability to resist vibration in this situation.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
3M moulding adhesive
You're talking about the stuff used in cars to adhere trim to body panels? Someone else suggested that, and I am thinking it is my next line of defense.

You mention 3M double-sided adhesive and I don't know if that's the same stuff as I'm thinking of.
The stuff I was talking about initially is the stuff that came with the camera. Pretty light duty, evidently. I don't think it was the same as what you mentioned.

You could also use a couple teeny-tiny screws/nuts/bolts in addition to an adhesive of choice.
Problem with screws is that they have nothing solid to bite into- I would not expect the fairing is either thick enough or solid enough to sustain that.

Nuts and washers and bolts would do it but jeez how do I get in there (the inner side of the cowling) to secure what would amount to a blind nut, or to stick a bolt through so that it functions as a threaded stud? Epoxy would be my choice to ensure that whichever it was on the inside was mounted permanently.

But first I'm going to try the automotive molding stuff.

The other alternative that occurs to me is that dental adhesive (the kind that cures with the blue light pen) that is now sold on TV (and Amazon, I betcha) as a miracle no-muss-no-fuss adhesive. It would not bother me greatly to permanently mount the L bracket - heck, that's basically what I'm doing already - to the underside of the fairing and be done with it.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
But first I'm going to try the automotive molding stuff.
r

Yep that's what I'm takin' 'bout. I can't begin to articulate why but the dental adhesive doesn't strike me as a viable alternative. Maybe I'm way off. It wouldn't be the first time.

Bike
2003 ST1300
dental adhesive (the kind that cures with the blue light pen).
I'm not completely certain, but I believe that the "curing with blue light" stuff is absolute BS marketing crap. Might work anyway, but that part is, I believe, bogus.

$0.02

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm not completely certain, but I believe that the "curing with blue light" stuff is absolute BS marketing crap. Might work anyway, but that part is, I believe, bogus.

$0.02
It's used in the dental industry...the Dentist my wife works for uses it a lot. That said, I have some and have tried it a couple of times to no avail! Maybe it depends on what you are using it for?

Top Bottom